cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Puerto Ferro Lighthouse #182834 02/08/05 03:33 PM
Zachary Offline OP
OP Offline
After searching on the internet for about an hour, I finally found a close-up photo of Vieques' endangered lighthouse, Puerto Ferro. This picture shows the immediate danger the lighthouse is in, as the tower is crumbling and there are large holes in the walls of the keeper's quarter.
Puerto Ferro Lighthouse, 2048x1536
There is also a virtual tour of the lighthouse, but, I can't get it to work. You can try at http://southeast.fws.gov/vieques/media.html

Re: Puerto Ferro Lighthouse #182835 02/08/05 05:36 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Zachary, don't think it's you, Bud. First time to the page I saw an image box but no image. Says you need their IPIX plug in so I went ahead and installed that. They say you need to close browser and re-open for it to kick in. Only thing it did different was to show an IPix logo instead of an image place holder. Went ahead and rebooted system to see if that would help - Nope.

So, (a)either the IPx thing is a real piece of junkware or (b) the FWS doesn't have something set up right or (c) there is some convoluted set up you have to do to make it work, in which case you should refer back to (a).

Re: Puerto Ferro Lighthouse #182836 02/08/05 05:49 PM
Zachary Offline OP
OP Offline
All I got was the IPIX logo also, it's not junkware because I've used it when viewing virtual tours of houses for sale in my neighborhood. You can check to see if it works at http://www.ipix.com/download/activex_ipix.shtml
I e-mailed the webmaster about it, maybe he can fix it.
Maybe if someone was to visit it, they could take pictures from the many holes that unfortunately exist on the building.

Re: Puerto Ferro Lighthouse #182837 02/08/05 10:32 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Back in 1960-61 I went to Vieques with the Seabees. We camped out on Yellow Beach and Red Beach. I really liked the Red Beach area. Our job was to bring in the Marines on our causeways. Then we spent the next six weeks waiting to put them back on the ships that brought us there. Somewhere around here I have pictures that I took. If I can locate them I will post some. I never knew that there was alighthouse on Vieques. Thanks for pointing that out to us Zachary. Good find. The light looks like the Marines may have used it for target practice. What a shame!

Bert smile

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Puerto Ferro Lighthouse #182838 02/08/05 11:40 PM
Zachary Offline OP
OP Offline
It could have possibly been used for target practice, but, I just think it's because it's been left unnattended since 1926, when it was discontinued. I read somewhere that there are plans for it's restoration, but, it seems unlikely.
Here are a few other pictures I located of the lighthouse
Port Ferro with it\'s Lantern Room
Port Ferro without it\'s lantern room before it was sealed off
Lighthouse People pics where you can see the modern light
Also, Bert, there are infact 2 lighthouses at Vieques. Port Ferro, which you can visit by obtaining a visitor's pass to get into the USMC Base and Point Mulas Which is in way better shape than Port Ferro and open to the public for climbing.

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,420 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users