Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
David Winters Question? #18278 01/03/08 12:21 AM
O
Oliver72 Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Long ago I started collecting David Winter Cottages. I got my first one while in the USAF on a trip to England. Then I started collecting them after that. Well A house fire took care of that collection. I couldn't get over how the heat made some of them explode. This past Christmas, I got the David Winters lighthouse. What a suprise that was. I have not seen too many David Winter Cottages around and that is when I started with the Harbour lights. Now does anyone know if this is going to be a one of a kind David Winters or is he going to make more lighthouses for Harbour lights?
Ccurious minds want to know?

Re: David Winters Question? #18279 01/03/08 12:55 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
David Winter was asked to create a unique piece for Harbour Lights as a 'guest artist'.

Not sure if there will be other 'guest artist' pieces in the future or not - but that Barking Rocks was David's only shot of 'fame.' If there are to be other guest artists, only time will tell.

Let's say Barking Rocks was not well-received by hard-core Harbour Lights collectors. Someone will come in here and post links to the discussions we had about it.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a former David Winter Cottage collector too. Bought mine in the US. I like his work, just that many didn't like the fact that Harbour Lights made it a Harbour Lights Limited Edition.

Welcome to the Collector Forums

Re: David Winters Question? #18280 01/03/08 01:09 AM
O
Oliver72 Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Only time will tell. Barking Rocks is different than the Normal Harbour Lights to which we are accustomed to. I was fortunate enough to get a three digit number of the edition. Maybe not in our life time, but our childrens or grandchildrens, this could turn out to be an expensive collectors item after we are put into our "Dirt Bed". nono

Re: David Winters Question? #18281 01/03/08 01:14 AM
Roland Babineau Offline
I thought it strange as well, at first, upon my initial viewing of the photo. When I got an order for one from a customer this Christmas and really looked it over "for real", I can't tell you how impressed I was with this piece. I think if many of the "naysayers" were actually to take a close-up look for real; Harbour Lights, or not, that piece is fascinating and extremely well done. Although it may be a tougher sell, I wouldn't mind seeing more "guest artists" pieces if all are done as well as this one is.

Roland Babineau, Editor
Lighthouse Encyclopedia
http://www.thecapecodstore.com/lighthouse_encyclopedia
Re: David Winters Question? #18282 01/03/08 01:25 AM
O
Oliver72 Offline OP
OP Offline
O
From my days of having the David Winters Cottages, they looked so real. The detail was unbelievable. You are correct in looking at the unique detail in barking rocks. Like I said in my above post, Someday it may be worth something, being one of a kind and limited. Just look at some of the unique things on Antiques Roadshow and the prices on some of those off the wall items.

Re: David Winters Question? #18283 01/05/08 12:23 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
The guest Artist was a good idea and David Winter was an excellent choice.
The thing that threw a lot of collectors was that it was a fantasy light. Harbour Lights is known for its accuracies of actual lighthouses and many collectors could not handle a fiction light. I think the light was well done and there are many HL collectors that love the light, but they are the quiet collectors that could not be heard thru the load distaste of the Hardcore Harbour Light collectors.

If I were going to look for anything that I would have changed in the piece I would have to say the large size with the large price tag. Should have been made in the $99 size.

DANIEL
Re: David Winters Question? #18284 01/05/08 02:53 PM
Cyndi Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
The large size is the main reason I have not bought Barking Rocks. I am not real big on the fantasy lights, but the piece is very well done and would be a great addition to my collection. If I had a place to put it.
I like Thomas Kinkade and have several of his lighthouse pieces and prints. Most are not of real lighthouses but very well done.
I have a new curio that I think Barking Rocks will fit into. If so I will spend the money to buy it.

Cyndi
Re: David Winters Question? #18285 01/05/08 03:49 PM
beachcomber Offline
The Barking Rocks piece is exceptionally well done. However, I collect HL because of the historical authenticity of the pieces. I try to discourage friends from giving me lighthouse paraphernalia by telling them just that - I collect only HL because it combines my love of history, miniatures, and the sea. I still get gifts of other types of lighthouses, so I put them on display with the rest. If I don't I'll offend my friends; if I do, they think it's okay to give me more!! eek What are you going to do? confused

beachcomber
Re: David Winters Question? #18286 01/06/08 01:25 AM
O
Oliver72 Offline OP
OP Offline
O
One question that I have is, "Do they put a seahorse on the guest artist pieces as they do on the HL's? I would think not since that is the way the Youngers sign their pieces. Does anyone know? I have given mine a quick once over,but there is so much detail to it, I just didn't have the time to really examine it.

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 651 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users