Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Year-Round Images? #182512 04/15/02 02:52 PM
M
Mitch Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Being a relatively new Newbie, don't know if this was addressed previously or not.

Has anyone tried to capture the same shot of a lighthouse from the same spot/perspective in each of the 4 seasons? I was considering doing that for Barneget as a follow-up to my "fall" shot, although there wasn't any snow to speak of for my "winter" shot this year.

In anyone has tried this, I'd love to see how they turned out.

Thanks.

-- Mitch

-- Mitch
Re: Year-Round Images? #182513 04/15/02 07:39 PM
Shirin Offline
Hi Mitch,

I've only got two season shots for the Tarrytown lighthouse.
Winter:

Summer:

shirin

Shirin
Re: Year-Round Images? #182514 04/15/02 07:59 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Hi Shirin, ...I love the picture with the ice around the light and the bridge in the background. Nice work!

Bob

Re: Year-Round Images? #182515 04/15/02 08:09 PM
Shirin Offline
Bob - that was one of those fun to take shots. To get to the waters edge after a blizzard like snow on New Years Eve of 2001, I had to wade through snow waist deep. What a workout! The bitter winds coming off of the Hudson River didn't help much with the situation, but it was fun to see that I was the first to brave the snow since the park was completely void of any other foot prints.

shirin

Shirin
Re: Year-Round Images? #182516 04/15/02 11:08 PM
B
Bud Schrader Offline
Wacko
Wacko
B
Shirin, those are good shots. I too, like the winter one. Please educate me on the location, city in the background?

Bud

Bud
Re: Year-Round Images? #182517 04/15/02 11:35 PM
B
Bud Schrader Offline
Wacko
Wacko
B
Mitch, great question- my favorite spot at Grand Haven is out on the pier, looking back in. this one was taken last Fall.

It appears from this next shot to be pretty hard to get to my favorite location in ALL seasons, but you've given me something to think about. This is a late winter shot in gale force winds.I need to get two more seasons in also, but you did give me a good excuse to post!

Bud
Re: Year-Round Images? #182518 04/15/02 11:44 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This idea would be interesting to try. I've seen it done many times out here in areas where you can really see the seasonal contrast, (Autumn's turning leaves, snow, etc). On of the next projects I would like to try is a series of three shots - where the subject, in this case a lighthouse, is flanked by the scenery on either side and matted and framed with the three idividual pictures together. I have a new camera here with 100% viewfinder coverage so I find with my 100 mm lens I just need to shoot a frame every 5 degrees on the tripod.

Re: Year-Round Images? #182519 04/16/02 12:03 AM
1of3trees@prodigy.net Offline
Knowing how often Gary goes out to South Haven, I'm sure he has 4 season shots of it and that we'll find out for sure when he gets back from his business/pleasure trip to CA. Probably St. Joe's as well.

------------------
Terry (Only my mother, brothers & sisters call me Teresa) Forrest

Re: Year-Round Images? #182520 04/16/02 09:28 AM
Shirin Offline
Hi Bud, that is the Tarrytown lighthouse by the Tappan Zee Bridge with New York City in the background in my pictures.

shirin

Shirin
Re: Year-Round Images? #182521 04/16/02 09:58 AM
M
Mitch Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Great shots, Shirin! This is exactly the type of shots I'm looking for. I tried getting up to Tarrytown once but the park was closed so I had to settle for some long-distance shots which I'm not too thrilled about. Will have to give it another go when/if they have the open house again for Little Red down the river this fall.

Bud - will be interested to see how your seasonal shots of Grand Haven come out.

Thanks again, guys! If anyone else has any, let's see them!

-- Mitch
Re: Year-Round Images? #182522 04/16/02 12:02 PM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Mitch I like your idea of shooting the same lighthouse of the four seasons. Unfortunatly for me, I don't live close enough to any lighthouse to see it during the four seasons.

Shirin those are some great photos of Tarrytown. My husband is a native New Yorker and grew up on the Hudson. He loves all the Hudson River lights.

Re: Year-Round Images? #182523 04/16/02 02:31 PM
M
Mitch Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Ned,

I actually own a few pieces of non-lighthouse photography that are part of a multi-picture set like you're mentioning. One is of an old barn-like structure alongside trees and a dirt road. Three shots make up the set: Spring/Summer, Autumn, & Winter and he was selling them individually and all 3 framed full-size (8x10) together. Looked great and that's what's got me thinking about doing the same for the lighthouses.

-- Mitch
Re: Year-Round Images? #182524 04/18/02 01:28 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That sounds neat Mitch. I'm going to the coast this weekend, and plan on trying this out. Will let you know what the outcome is.

Ned

Re: Year-Round Images? #182525 04/21/02 11:40 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi all! Terry is right, I've probably got more than just a few series of year round shots of South Haven. Lord knows that I certainly have winter well covered and summer. The problem with autumn when shooting South Haven is that you'd never know it was autumn as you're usually shooting out over Lake Michigan and have no fall color reference to speak of. Pretty much the same for spring!

The shot below is one from the cover of the LH Depot catalog from January this year. This shot was taken in Decewmber, 2000 on a day the temp was -25 and the wind chill was down around -40 or so! This photo was taken on the south side of the pier.

The photo below was taken in late summer, from about the same location on the pier except that I was on the north side, near the channel. As the position of the sun relative to the pier shifts between winter and summer, I would have had nothing but the silhouette when shooting from the south side of the pier this time of the year.

For what might "pass" for a fall shot, the photo below was shot in late November, the morning after I photographed a gale. This photo was taken on the north side of the pier in full light but using an ultra wideangle zoom lens (17 mm) rather than the more normal focal length lenses used in the other pics. This was also from a little further back on the pier than the others to emphasize the catwalk out to the South Haven light.

A pair of shots of South Haven taken from up on the bluff from about 1/2 mile away using long lenses gave...

in September the day after a gale

in November during a gale

and finally, in early March

I guess I'll have to go out and shoot some additional shots for a more complete series, but I hope everyone enjoys these.

Gary

[This message has been edited by lighthouse_photo (edited 04-21-2002).]

Re: Year-Round Images? #182526 04/22/02 02:21 PM
M
Mitch Offline OP
OP Offline
M
These look great, Gary! Keep 'em coming.

Thanks.

-- Mitch

-- Mitch
Re: Year-Round Images? #182527 04/22/02 10:37 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Following up to a previous post:

We made the trip to Cannon Beach, but the "three shot" project was a flop! I thought I had the images nailed, but I hurried trying to "beat" the waves into the beach, and overshot the two side frames. Better luck next time maybe. As soon as I get some of these scanned, I will post some some successful and nice coastal shots- either here or under a new topic.

Ned

Re: Year-Round Images? #182528 04/25/02 01:19 AM
1of3trees@prodigy.net Offline
Nice photos, Gary, even if I have seen them several times before!!!!!

------------------

Re: Year-Round Images? #182529 04/25/02 02:55 PM
M
Mitch Offline OP
OP Offline
M
That's okay, Ned. You get it eventually.
Hopefully once the post-drought rain storms stop and my schedule opens up, I want to hit a few of the NY lights and begin my "summer" series. Then maybe head back down to a few of the NJ lights for follow-ups. Gotta get back to Barney this Spring/Summer and then pray for a good snow next winter to shot him in.

-- Mitch

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,229 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users