cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
"Essential" LH photo equipment? #181807 05/15/02 04:07 AM
Handyman Offline OP
OP Offline
As I assemble my gear for a summer of lighhouse photography, I have been reviewing this BB for helpful equipment. Are there any serious omissions from this list? (Aside from a camera )
1. Rain gear, for man and machine.
2. Fine grain slide film, if preferred.
3. Tele and wide lenses for varying compositions. (It seems at a glance that expensive, "fast" lenses aren't really required, as most people seem to stop down their aperture and increase exposure time for increased color satuation)
4. Tripod and cable shutter release.
5.Brushes, blowers and lens paper (beware the sand!)
6. Not necessary, but I like an 18% gray card.
7. Spare batteries- always!
8. Filters:
a. Skylights to protect the lens.
b. Polarizers are handy for sky and
water.
c. Graded ND for sunrise and sunset.

What else do folks find is a big help?

Re: "Essential" LH photo equipment? #181808 05/15/02 08:25 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
How about a small cooler with a few "frosty cold drinks". Don't forget your sunscreen!

Bob

Re: "Essential" LH photo equipment? #181809 05/15/02 10:11 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Chris,

If you're going to shoot professional film, which is normally stored refrigerated, you should plan on a cooler for the film (along with the frosty drinks per Bob's suggestion).

Personally, I happen to use fast lenses even though I stop mine all the way down. When you're shooting in very dim light well after sunset, the brighter viewfinder afforded by those faster lenses comes in hand for making certain that extraneous "stuff" isn't in your composition, which can sometimes happen with the dimmer view afforded by slower lenses even at their maximum aperature.

For a tripod, you would like something HEAVY if you're planning on long exposures or shooting if you have something other than a clear, cloudless day with a glass-smooth lake.

Other than those suggestions, it looks like you've got a reasonably comprehensive list. Maybe an easy chair to sit in while drinking those frosty drinks while waiting for the sunset?

Gary

Re: "Essential" LH photo equipment? #181810 05/15/02 11:47 AM
R
Rod Watson Offline
Saint
Saint
R
A heavy monopod is also extremely helpful when you don't have the capabilities for a tripod set-up (charter boat and cruises, or when you're in a hurry, etc.)

A good flash for inside shots when you again can't use a tripod.

A back-up body with different speed film loaded can sometimes come in handy when you are rushing around on vacation, and don't want to waste unused partial rolls of film for sudden lighting changes or motion shots.

Fast lenses are really handy for stopping or slowing down motion shots, etc. You can't always assume that a tripod and increased exposure time will help all compositions. In most cases, the faster lenses are also usually the better constructed lenses too. $$ restrictive though!

A cordless remote infrared trigger can be fun for those nature shots when you can't be close to the subject without scaring them away. You don't have to use the long teles and can set up for more interesting angles. (bird nests, spider webs, etc)

A well organized and padded equipment bag or case. It's nice to have most of your lenses and accessories with you on the long hikes to remote lights and waterfalls, etc., without banging them around or being uncomfortable with the large load. A padded shoulder strap on the bag is also well worth the expense.

A well built light meter is also very helpful.

On really long vacations when I'm snapping 30-50 rolls or so, I do something that is also very helpful. I cut up a bunch of index cards down to approx. 1 inch by 2 inch pieces, and keep them rubber banded together in my bag. When I complete a roll of film, I write on a card the various subjects taken on that roll, and insert the card around the inside of the film canister along with the film. It is then easy to tell what is on each roll as you gradually decide what shots to develop over time. You always end up with a few rolls that you are more excited about developing than others, this way you will know which is which.

If you need to keep an in-depth record of your exposure and shutter speed settings of each individual shot, it may be better then to number each canister cap with a sharpee marker and keep a small notebook in your bag where you can make all your notes with the matching roll number noted on each page.
[This message has been edited by Rod Watson (edited 05-15-2002).]

Re: "Essential" LH photo equipment? #181811 05/15/02 12:22 PM
Handyman Offline OP
OP Offline
Good suggestions, all! Especially using recording exposure data- no sense making the same mistakes twice! I would also add a black card to cover the lens if needed on long exposures.

Re: "Essential" LH photo equipment? #181812 05/15/02 01:10 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Good suggestions, Rod. You can tell I've been spoiled by Photo Secretary and the memory of my F5s that record all of that exposure data for you so that you can just download it into your PC. Oh well...

Gary

Re: "Essential" LH photo equipment? #181813 05/16/02 01:53 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Yes even I finally figured out that at least numbering the rolls of film is a good idea instead of just tossing them in your bag in case I don't decide to get them developed all at once!

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 987 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users