Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
USCG photo archives prints #181687 08/25/04 02:07 PM
seagirt Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
I am redoing the art in my room with a vintage travel theme, using prints of vintage travel posters, getting old postcards on eBay, and using interesting photos I can find other places.

One photo I have always been intrigued by is this one of the RMS Olympic, sister to Titanic, passing the LS Nantucket in April 1934. One month later, Olympic would ram the Nantucket and sink it in seconds.

I would love to add this photo to my room. I have found instructions on the USCG site.

It seems I have to contact the photo order department, who will send me "numbered photocopies" of the images. Then I have to contact the vendor, Photos Plus in DC. I will arrange cost and shipping with them. Then the vendor will contact the Historian, and arrange to pick up the images, duplicate them, and send them to me.

Has anyone ever done this? I'm curious how it worked out.

Thanks!

Re: USCG photo archives prints #181688 08/26/04 10:17 PM
RFoster Offline
I've never done this Greg but I am interested to learn how this experience turns ot for you. Keep us posted.

That image of the Olympic passing Nantucket Lightship are rather eerie.

Ron
(CT Keeper)

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Re: USCG photo archives prints #181689 08/31/04 01:52 PM
seagirt Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
I recieved the fax from the USCG, which I can barely see, but I think I see a line and four funnel-shaped things, so I am assuming that it is the correct photo. I got a copy of another one, too, which seems to be the Olympic steaming away from the Nantucket.

I called the photo store in DC. Everything seemed to be going well until the guy said:

"You can get two 5 x 7s for $20 S+H plus $10/image plus tax, or one 8 x 10 for the same price." That's around $50 for two photos. eek

I think this is a bit out of my ballpark right now...I'll have to see. I don't know if it is worth $50. I'll have to see how much I can make.

I'm going to put all the files in a folder for future reference, but I don't think I will be ordering the photo now. frown

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (DANIEL, Rock), 1,338 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users