There are some upcoming photo contests for anyone who is interested.

PHOTOGRAPHIC MAGAZINE - BARNS - OCTOBER CONTEST

Photographic Magazine, June issue (pg 81) has a coupon for their October contest, the theme of which is Barns. Entries are due in the magazine's offices by 6/30. You can submit up to 3 images as prints up to 8x10 or slides. Send duplicates of whatever you submit - DO NOT SEND YOUR ORIGINALS!

I've had photos place in these monthly contests before. The last was a shot of the beautiful cast iron spiral stairs in the interior of Bodie Island Lighthouse for a monthly contest where the theme was "Curves."

This was a color slide that was desaturated to greyscale in Paint Shop Pro. Don't be afraid to experiment!

BLACK RIVER PUBLISHING - OUTDOOR GRANDEUR

Black River Publishing has a contest, the theme of which is Outdoor Grandeur, with a $1k first prize. Entries must be postmarked by 6/30. There is a $5 entry fee. You can get entry forms from their website:

www.brpub.com

or you can ask questions by e-mail at:

contest@brpub.com

There is no limit on the number of images that can be entered. Submit duplicates for consideration - they require originals for winners, which should be sent to them via insured REGISTERED mail.

POPULAR PHOTOGRAPHY - ANNUAL INTERNATIONAL "PICTURE" CONTEST

Popular Photography's Annual International "Picture" Contest has a deadline coming up with entries needing to be postmarked by 7/1. You can submit up to 6 images in any of nine categories. The competition for this contest is INTENSE. I last entered the 2001 contest (I missed last year's entry deadline due to travel ). There were approximately 65,000 photos entered in the 2001 contest; 54 photos were published in the January 2001 issue of Popular Photogrpahy and I was deleriously happy to have been fortunate enough to have gotten an honorable mention that year. Questions by e-mail:

RLazaroff@aol.com.

You'll need to get a copy of the June issue of the magazine (pg 70) to photo copy the contest entry form.

My entry which took an HM in 2001 was a photo titled, "Reflection of a Pastel Morning" that had nothing to do with my love of lighthouse photography.

NIKON AMERICAN MOSAIC PHOTO CONTEST

This contest is sponsored by Nikon, American PHOTO, and POPULAR PHOTOGRAPHY. The Grand Prize is a Nikon F100 with a Nikkor 28-80 mm lens (They're saying retail value of ~$4K so this would be the 28-80 f2.8 AFS lens. The camera's street price is about $1300 and the street price on the lens is $1450. The first prize is a Nikon N80 with the consumer 28-80 lens; the runner up prize is a Nikon N65 with the same lens as the N80's.

The contest description is on pg 68 of the June issue of Popular Photography. Entries can be submitted either by mail or electronically. Entries must be postmarked by July 8th. They don't give any details of format or file size for electronic entries, but the eletronic submission address is:

ssutfin@hfmus.com

Good luck if any of you enter any of these contests. I'll probably end up with entries going to all of them.

[This message has been edited by lighthouse_photo (edited 05-12-2002).]