cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Interest in Seeing Photos of a LH Photographer? #181454 02/16/02 04:09 PM
1of3trees@prodigy.net Offline OP
OP Offline
Any interest from anyone to see photos of a certain lighthouse photographer?

------------------
Terry (Teresa) Forrest

[This message has been edited by 1of3trees@prodigy.net (edited 02-18-2002).]

Terry (Only my mother, brothers & sisters call me Teresa) Forrest
Re: Interest in Seeing Photos of a LH Photographer? #181455 02/17/02 01:25 AM
B
Bud Schrader Offline
Wacko
Wacko
B
Terry, I think I would- I'm hoping to meet Gary in a couple of weeks for some shooting- I'd like to have an advantage in at least ONE thing! By the way- what did you decide about the lightbox?

------------------
Bud Schrader

Bud
Re: Interest in Seeing Photos of a LH Photographer? #181456 02/17/02 03:23 AM
OP Offline
Hi Bud!

Re your question on a lightbox, I think I might be better off buying an inexpensive one, rather than trying to make one myself.

------------------
Terry (Teresa) Forrest

Re: Interest in Seeing Photos of a LH Photographer? #181457 02/17/02 04:38 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
Looks like the URL is incorrect or its dynamically built each time you visit the 'imagep' site.

The msg. above this one has an extra '/' in the URL which would cause it not to work, but removing this doesn't seem to help.

What is the URL you use to visit the site's homepage? Using cut and paste is the simplest way to get a URL into a forum message.
__
/

PS - you can practice in the 'Play Room'

[This message has been edited by JTimothyA (edited 02-17-2002).]

Re: Interest in Seeing Photos of a LH Photographer? #181458 02/17/02 11:37 AM
OP Offline
This is what I've done: first I went through my cd's and resized a number of photos to 72 dpi and smaller sizes, including 2 of the photos I took of Gary. Then I went to www.webphotos.com and created an album which has only these 2 photos for a start. Per Gary's directions, I expanded to the bigger size then right clicked on it and selected properties from the menu that popped up. The URL address does show but as far as copying it is concerned I don't see anything that allows that -- so I wrote it down and obviously I'm making errors when I type it in.

------------------
Terry (Teresa) Forrest

Re: Interest in Seeing Photos of a LH Photographer? #181459 02/17/02 12:18 PM
OP Offline

This is a photo of my very good friend and the Cruise Director of this forum, Gary Martin. I took this photo of him when my husband, Dan, and I were out in Michigan for the 1st time last Sept.; in fact on Mon., 9/10, right after a stormy weekend. It was a very warm and windy day and Gary and I were taking photos of the BIG waves crashing over the South Haven lighthouse from up on the bluff a distance from the lighthouse. Gary made himself comfortable with his folding chair and his "monster" 500mm lens and I believe a teleconverter, on his heavier duty tripod head, for this big lens.

------------------
Terry (Teresa) Forrest

[This message has been edited by 1of3trees@prodigy.net (edited 03-29-2002).]

Re: Interest in Seeing Photos of a LH Photographer? #181460 02/17/02 12:31 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Oh, oh.... the truth is out now just how comfortable one can get when out with their camera. I won't be able to get any more sympathy at home when I come back wet, stiff, and sniffly from shooting on wet rainy/snowy days when it wasn't as nice as that one and when you can't park your tail in a folding chair. Oh well... Actually, there were some shots taken that day with a 1.4x between my 500 mm lens and the camera body but most were shot without it. With the 1.4x, which gives me 700 mm at f5.6, the lighthouse even from up on the bluffs is too big (nice thing to get to complain about, huh?) in the viewfinder when you want to catch the spray from big waves breaking over the lighthouse.

Gary

Re: Interest in Seeing Photos of a LH Photographer? #181461 02/17/02 12:34 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Terry,
When you get the properties up, select (highlight) the URL and then just do a standard cut and paste - Ctrl C to copy it to the clipboard, and then when you're ready to insert the URL after teh initial argument, [img], in your post on here, Ctrl V to paste it in. Add the closing argument, [/img] and you're done.

Gary

Re: Interest in Seeing Photos of a LH Photographer? #181462 02/17/02 02:10 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Gary, you ever lean back waiting for a 5 minute exposure and wake up 2 hours later?

P.S. do you develop your own film or who do you trust to get it right?

Re: Interest in Seeing Photos of a LH Photographer? #181463 02/17/02 04:10 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Mark, never fell asleep in the chair, but did one morning laying on the south pier at Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin waiting for the sunrise to shoot the North Pier lighthouse. Got there way too early, hiked out on the pier, and had in excess of an hour to kill before I even got to the predawn stage. I set up my camera and tripod and took a couple of photos of the stars to kill some time (one's attached so you know this isn't a bunch of bs!), laid down on the pier, put my head on my photo backpack to "watch the stars" - yeah, right, it's 4AM when this is going on! - and promptly fell asleep. Glad I woke up before the sunrise show started, as it was truly spectacular, yielding one of the photos I submitted to the HL photo contest, which I'll append to this post when they get done witht he contest judging!

In the "for whatever its worth category," the above collection of star trails in the constellation Orion was an 8 min exposure at the 80 mm end of my 80-200 mm f2.8 lens with the lens wide open at f2.8 using Fuji Provia 100F slide film. I had no idea that Orion was so big that I'd have to use 80 mm to get all of it in the viewfinder! The main stars of Orion are the 7 bright white streaks; the 4 corners of a square and thre 3 running diaonally are Orion's belt. The vertical blue-red-blue trio are the sword or scabbard on Orion's belt. So much for the celetial photo tour.

When the sunrise was well under way, the shot below was taken just to give you an idea of what I would have missed had I continued the Rip van Winkle gig. Fortunately, I was awake and got to photograph from the very beginning of predawn.

As for film processing, Mark, I don't do any of the wet work so to speak. I sure don't trust the local 1 hr photo place with anything!!! I'm fortunate to have a professional photographic lab here in Kalamazoo - Kalamazoo Color Laboratory 616-344-6000 (if anyone is interested and they will handle stuff by mail) - which is the only place I trust to do my processing. Because much of what I'm prone to shoot is under extreme lighting conditions, it's important to shoot slides rather than prints if you get into this seriously. With prints, either some techie, or some silicon chip in the processor is going to decide what your photos are supposed to look like, and when you've worked very hard to get something like the shot of mine that was entered in the Door County Maritime Museum's annual juried show last year, you don't want either the techie or the Si wafer to have a shot at deciding what color the lake and sky were supposed to be other than cobalt blue! The shot that I'm talking about is posted over on the Wish List Forum in my endorsement for having an HL Minature of the Sturgeon Bay North Pierhead light if you want to see it. So, there you have it as for what I do about getting my stuff processed.

Gary

Re: Interest in Seeing Photos of a LH Photographer? #181464 02/17/02 05:16 PM
OP Offline
Here's another photo of Gary:

This was taken on the same day as the photo posted above, but from the area by the North Pier of the South Haven lighthouse, a silhouetted photo that shows all of Gary's 6'2" height! The one above from his folding chair was also originally in color but I turned it grayscale in my photo editing program because that's the way it is elsewhere.

"Elsewhere" was originally the January edition of a local Michigan magazine called Encore. The husband and wife publishers of the magazine saw one of Gary's lighthouse screensavers scrolling on the computer at one of the places where Gary has his prints matted and framed, got all excited and asked the owner if he knew who took the photos, was the individual a local photographer, did he know his name and how to contact him, etc., etc. Gary got a phone call at home and they arranged to interview him at home. In conjunction with the University of MI's January production of Titanic, they were dedicating their January edition to lighthouses and storms. That night after the interview, Gary and I were on AIM, AOL's Instant Messaging service with another of our photographer friends. Gary was telling us about the interview and started teasing me about "I didn't want to have a photograph of mine published in a magazine, did I?" They had wanted to have at least 1 photo of him in the article and it wound up my photo above of Gary in his chair and one of Gary's son Casey's photo of him, were published in the 4-page article of Gary along with some of his photos. Gary also got to have another of his lighthouse photos on a magazine cover as well!

------------------
Terry (Teresa) Forrest

Re: Interest in Seeing Photos of a LH Photographer? #181465 02/17/02 05:32 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
I would recognize him anywhere....

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Interest in Seeing Photos of a LH Photographer? #181466 02/17/02 08:34 PM
OP Offline
Really, Paul, you'd "know him anywhere"? How is that? You've got me quite curious.

------------------
Terry (Teresa) Forrest

Re: Interest in Seeing Photos of a LH Photographer? #181467 02/17/02 09:27 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
That was a tongue-in-cheek comment since he is just a silhouette in the one image and the camera covers his face in the other image..

Re: Interest in Seeing Photos of a LH Photographer? #181468 02/17/02 11:01 PM
OP Offline
Paul: you don't see, for example, in the first photo, his curly hair, that he has a beard, his broad arms and shoulders, his long torso denoting that he's tall, or in the second photo, his tall height?

------------------
Terry (Teresa) Forrest

Re: Interest in Seeing Photos of a LH Photographer? #181469 02/17/02 11:18 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Well after working as a photographer almost all of my life and having worked in Television News for the last thirty years…. I noticed those things and a few more like he is most likely right handed since he wears his wristwatch on his left arm and his beard is graying putting his age at....... But I sure couldn't pick him out in a crowd unless of course he has his Nikon F5 in his hands.

Re: Interest in Seeing Photos of a LH Photographer? #181470 02/17/02 11:48 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Gary, After your article that was published on the HL web site (I think) I printed out your tips on night photography and left it in my camera bag for reference. And a couple summers ago I headed to Navy Pier in Chicago to try out night photography, all though I had more bad pictures than good, one of them made it to the top of the page in the Collector Forums logo. And just a few weeks ago I tried again for just some star pictures, I don't know which star cluster they are but I was pretty happy with the results

and I am looking foreword to more helpful tips in the future.

And Terry, Paul's comment was right on track, My wife asked my what I was laughing about and I told her Gary couldn't be recognized by those pictures except maybe by somebody quite familiar with him.
[This message has been edited by Mark Wagner (edited 02-17-2002).]

Re: Interest in Seeing Photos of a LH Photographer? #181471 02/17/02 11:56 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Mark, I'm not certain where you had your camera aimed when you were on the Navy Pier, but if I had to hazard a guess, that would be the Pleiades (sp?) cluster, which is up most of the evening this time of the year.

You're more than welcome for the tips. Feel free to ask away if you run into any questions and I'll try to answer them.

Re: Interest in Seeing Photos of a LH Photographer? #181472 02/17/02 11:57 PM
B
Bud Schrader Offline
Wacko
Wacko
B
Good night! that 500 mm is longer than my car! It must be trick photography. Oh, by the way, I'm determined to get this "newbie" stigma off my back. I can't sleep nights wondering when I'll hit 50 posts. It WILL be tonight.

------------------
Bud Schrader

Bud
Re: Interest in Seeing Photos of a LH Photographer? #181473 02/18/02 12:01 AM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Gary, this is the Chicago Pier image that Mark is referring to....

Re: Interest in Seeing Photos of a LH Photographer? #181474 02/18/02 12:14 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Gary, the star cluster picture was taken in December, about 7:30 pm facing south/ slightly east. Towards the brightest cluster in that area.

Re: Interest in Seeing Photos of a LH Photographer? #181475 02/18/02 12:15 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
GREAT shot of the Chicago Pier, Mark! Given that time and direction in December, that should have been the Pleiades as I thought although I'll have to dig out a star chart, assuming I can find the one that I have, to confirm that.

Bud, dump that newbie designation!!!!! GO FOR IT!!!!

[This message has been edited by lighthouse_photo (edited 02-17-2002).]

Re: Interest in Seeing Photos of a LH Photographer? #181476 02/18/02 12:18 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Oh, and as for that 500mm f4 lens, unless you're my size, 6'3 and about 275, carrying that heavy monster around in it's not so little suitcase could be a chore! Between it, my camera backpack, which weighs in at about 50-55 pounds with the bodies and lenses that I usually have in it, and another 12 pounds for my tripod, I sort of feel like a pack ox!

Re: Interest in Seeing Photos of a LH Photographer? #181477 02/18/02 01:10 AM
OP Offline
How about this one for starters? This is Casey Martin's photo of his Dad that was published in black and white in the 4-page article on Gary in the January edition of Encore magazine - mentioned above in mine of him in his folding chair.

Or this one for an additional one? This is my big brother, a giant of a man in more ways than one, who besides being my very good friend and that of my husband, Dan, as well, is the big brother I've never previously had and an individual that I am closer to than my actual "real" 3 brothers. BTW, Gary is 52.

Do you think you can recognize him now?

TERRY (My mother, brothers and sisters only call me Teresa) Forrest

[This message has been edited by 1of3trees@prodigy.net (edited 02-17-2002).]

Re: Interest in Seeing Photos of a LH Photographer? #181478 02/18/02 01:16 AM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Yep!

Re: Interest in Seeing Photos of a LH Photographer? #181479 02/18/02 01:18 AM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
Hey I have those kind of photos, can you tell which one is the old goat?

Image Copyright Elizabeth Thompson 2001

[This message has been edited by SThompson (edited 02-17-2002).]

Re: Interest in Seeing Photos of a LH Photographer? #181480 02/18/02 01:24 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Uhhhh that would be me, Terry! The top photo is a portrait shot of me that he took when I was shooting reflections out on the South Haven pier the day after a gale in November, 2000. What I was aiming the camera at was....

Another shot from that day, which fortunately, I don't think that there is a pic of me taking, was this 14 mm ultrawideangle photo looking right up the side of the SHLH tower. That big rivet in the LLC (lower left corner) of the frame was a whopping 3 inches from the front objective of that 14mm lens...

And if the other pics of me that Terry posted didn't work, just look for the tan Nikon 500 mm lens suitcase....

Gary

[This message has been edited by lighthouse_photo (edited 02-17-2002).]

Re: Interest in Seeing Photos of a LH Photographer? #181481 02/18/02 01:27 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Would that be the "tan goat" playing with your camera, Sean?

Re: Interest in Seeing Photos of a LH Photographer? #181482 02/18/02 01:34 AM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
Who the heck is this Lighthouse Photographer?

Image Copyright Sean Thompson 2001

Re: Interest in Seeing Photos of a LH Photographer? #181483 02/18/02 01:37 AM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
Cool reflection Gary!

Re: Interest in Seeing Photos of a LH Photographer? #181484 02/18/02 01:45 AM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
I agree with Sean on the reflection shot and I really like the "rivet" image, Gary....

Re: Interest in Seeing Photos of a LH Photographer? #181485 02/18/02 01:45 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am thinking there's another picture - mirror direction at ummm..... New Point Loma, I don't think it's Point Fermin..... there's no homeless people sleeping in the picture.

Re: Interest in Seeing Photos of a LH Photographer? #181486 02/18/02 01:54 AM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
Keep trying Mark, you are close! There's probably no mirror shot. I don't think Paul saw me taking his picture.

Re: Interest in Seeing Photos of a LH Photographer? #181487 02/18/02 01:58 AM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
Here are some more Wacko Lighthouse Photographers.

left to right; Derith, You Know, Sue and Bryan

What's with the glasses? I think Paul must have been the soberest in the lot, I think it was about 10:30am when I took this shot.

Re: Interest in Seeing Photos of a LH Photographer? #181488 02/18/02 02:13 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Point Vince ??

And what do you mean by "Whats with the glasses"? He only has one.....

Re: Interest in Seeing Photos of a LH Photographer? #181489 02/18/02 02:21 AM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
Lol.....yep just one! You got it with Point Vince.

Re: Interest in Seeing Photos of a LH Photographer? #181490 02/18/02 02:24 AM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Duel at Pt Vicente

Re: Interest in Seeing Photos of a LH Photographer? #181491 02/18/02 11:15 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Glad you liked the rivet shot, Paul. That shot was intentionally set up to test just how rectilinear Sigma's 14 mm f2.8 lens was and I was pretty pleased with the results. Also quite pleased with the price. Although expensive at around $900 when I bought it, that was still $1K cheaper than the Nikon lens.

Here's another shot taken with that lens a while back at???? OK, wackos, any guesses where this was taken since we seem to be on a guessing mood on this thread at the moment - My apologies, George, not trying to compete with the Lighthouse Game forum here, just having some fun with this thread!

As for the comment about being the soberest of the bunch at 10:30 AM.... hmmmm sounds like some meetings I go to!

Gary

Re: Interest in Seeing Photos of a LH Photographer? #181492 02/18/02 08:18 PM
N
Nana Offline
N
My guess is :Point Wilson Light, WA

My feet still remember standing on these same rocks and feeling the cold wind that was blowing.....Can't wait until I am there again.
Derith

Re: Interest in Seeing Photos of a LH Photographer? #181493 02/18/02 09:51 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Very good guess Derith!!!! You're spot on target. I was there several times during a trip to Seattle a couple of years ago... rainy, foggy, typical Pacific Northwest the entire time, but there were some oppotunitities to photograph. As is typical, the weather cleared the last day I was there on my way to the airport.... go figure!

Gary

Re: Interest in Seeing Photos of a LH Photographer? #181494 02/19/02 12:35 AM
OP Offline
LOL - Gary, I'm surprised you didn't tell me again that I couldn't participate in another guess on a lighthouse photo, seeing as how you just posted this one this past weekend at www.shuttercity.com !

------------------

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 02-18-2002).]

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 651 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users