cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Gallery Show #181257 09/01/02 01:59 PM
Gary Martin Offline OP
OP Offline
For anyone who calls home somewhere around the bottom end of Lake Michigan, I thought I'd post this here in case anyone is interested or in the area.

I've got an upcoming gallery show of my lighthouse photography that opens here in Kalamazoo on September 9th at a little gallery called INNER IMAGES at 5115 Texas Drive just west of 12th St after Milham Road turns into Texas Dr. There is an opening reception on Saturday, September 14th from 6-9 PM and the Kalamazoo Arts Council Gallery Hop on Friday, October 4th from 5-7 PM. If you need directions, e-mail me.

Hope some you will be able to see the show in the gallery even if you can't make either of the events.

Gary

Re: Gallery Show #181258 09/01/02 02:56 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
If anyone can attend, please take photos of this event. I really wish I could be there Gary...

Re: Gallery Show #181259 09/01/02 08:35 PM
JoanieO Offline
Gary
Congratulations and good luck with your gallery show of lighthouse photography. Bet you have some magnificent photos. Sorry I won't be able to see them, but I live in SW Florida and it just isn't possible to be there. But your Forum Friends will be there in spirit.
Again, congratulations!
JoanieO smile

JoanieO
Re: Gallery Show #181260 09/02/02 11:46 AM
Gary Martin Offline OP
OP Offline
Hey John, Terry Forrest and Bill Taylor are definitely coming in for a week-long photo shoot out at the lake the week after this thing starts and I've also invited a few others from the forums that live in the area. One way or another I'll make sure that you get some digital pics of the opeining reception and the show itself. Let me know what you need/want...

Gary

Re: Gallery Show #181261 09/03/02 03:03 PM
shiulong Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Wish I was coming up that way so I could drop in to see the show. Is there a way you could post the pictures at your Photoclub or Nikon site? I know we won't be able to share in the ambiance of the whole show, but we could share part of it.

Chuck laugh

bigdragon
Re: Gallery Show #181262 09/03/02 03:15 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Excellent Gary!

I'm sure we've already had a preview of many of the photos in Gary's show! Probably all we're going to miss by not being able to go to one of the "events" will be the refreshments???

Re: Gallery Show #181263 09/04/02 12:18 AM
Gary Martin Offline OP
OP Offline
Rest assured, this photographer is going to be well "refreshed" at this particular gallery show since the choice of refershments is mine! cool

At the moment, I'm working on some last minute large prints that have to be at the frame shop to be matted and framed tomorrow. Never a dull moment when you're getting ready for one of these.

I'll get some shots of the show that John has asked for. Maybe my wife will let me borrow her digital! laugh Every time I ask her if I can use it she just laughs and says what's wrong with your "expensive" cameras??? Oh well...

Gary

Re: Gallery Show #181264 09/04/02 01:44 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
No doubt your photos of the opening will be outstanding, Gary. But maybe you should just let your spouse handle the photography that evening. We want to see photos of YOU in there too!

Re: Gallery Show #181265 09/06/02 09:31 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Gary, What are the hours on Saturday the 14th? Will you be there all day? Michelle and I are planning on going up there Saturday afternoon or evening. Is the Saturday reception at Inner Images?

Mark

Re: Gallery Show #181266 09/08/02 12:53 AM
Gary Martin Offline OP
OP Offline
Mark, the Saturday reception is at Inner Images from 6-9 PM. I'll e-mail you directions as well, but from the intersection of US-131 and I-94, go west 1 exit to 9th Street. Turn right at the top of the ramp (north) and go up 1 redlight to Avenue N and turn right. Go east on N until it "T"s into 12th street (??) and turn right again. The road will go south and then curve east running parallel to I-94, which will be to your right. At the next T turn right under I-94 and go to the blinking light. Wedel's Garden Center will be on your right at the carner. You'll turn right, which will put you on Texas Drive. Go about 100 yards and Inner Images sets on the left side. They ahve a white sign out by the road and the gallery sits back in a little. I'll be looking forward to seeing you and Michelle. I'll pretty much be around town all day so we could easily get together earlier in the day.

Gary

Re: Gallery Show #181267 09/10/02 09:05 PM
Gary Martin Offline OP
OP Offline
Well, it's Tuesday and my gallery show has been hung at Inner Images Gallery here in Kalamazoo. The show occupies the entire gallery! Though they're my photos and I'm used to seeing them, it's really quite rewarding to see them all hung in one gallery at the same time!

I hope some of you here on the forums will get a chance to see the exhibit while it runs through November 9th!

Gary

Re: Gallery Show #181268 09/15/02 03:23 PM
Gary Martin Offline OP
OP Offline
Gallery Show Opening Reception

Well last night was the opening reception for my gallery show at Inner Images and a couple of my Harbour Lights friends, Mark Wagner and his father and Jeff and Mary Meyer were able to attend!!! Thanks for the support all, it's greatly appreciated!!!

I got a telephone call earlier in the day from Autumn who owns and runs the gallery to let me know that I had had a flower arrangement delivered for the reception. What a very pleasant surprise... smile smile smile ... Thanks Kim and all there at Harbour Lights -- the flower arrangement was gorgeous! I couldn't get a photo of the arrangement during the opening reception that did it just because of the clutter in the background so I've posted a photo taken of it here my home late last night after I got back from the reception.

A couple of photos of some of the folks at the reception follow:

The photo below is Rick Briscoe (left) the editor of Encore Magazine published locally here in Kalamazoo, who did a story on my lighthouse photography last December and Rich Sherman (right)who works at Kalamazoo Color Laboratory and does some of the approval proofs for my big pieces.

And in this photo Earl Major and his wife Trish looking at a photo called "Storm Front"...

Thanks again for the many enthusiastic expressions of support from my friends here on the Collector's Forums and especially to Mark and the Meyers for taking the time to drive over to Kzoo for the opening reception.

I've got about 10 digital photos that were shot last night (and yes, my wife asked me when I borrowed her Nikon Coolpix 950 digital why I wasn't using film!) that comprise a "virtual tour" of the gallery show. I'll start posting these shortly so that those of you too far away to attend still can see the 21 pieces (+ 1 leaning against the wall on the floor because we ran out of wall space in the gallery!) that were hung for the show.

Thanks again..

Gary

Re: Gallery Show #181269 09/15/02 04:06 PM
Gary Martin Offline OP
OP Offline
GALLERY SHOW VIRTUAL TOUR

OK, here it goes... as you enter the gallery, there is a small wall directly in front of you that has a large photograph of Cape Lookout at sunset looking to the west across the Core Sound with a summer thunderstorm building over the mainland titled, "Storm in the West." And yes, camping in a tent on Cape Lookout that week, there was one doozy of a thunderstorm that night!!! The photos along the east wall I'll get to in a minute...

In the front corner, Autumn had a framed Cibachrome print of Big Red at sunrise titled, "Reflection at Dawn" in front of a display of CDrom screensavers. Those who participated in the Wackos in Wisconsin road trip got a version of one of them called "Postcards from the Lake."

Along the east wall of the gallery, there are a number of photos...

Starting form the left is a photo titled, "Sunset Wave" taken at South Haven one evening on an impromptu trip out to test a new 17-35 mm f2.8 Nikkor lens about a year and a half ago. The square photo to the right of that was just taken over Labor Day weekend this year at St. Joe's with the sun setting between the inner and outer lights of the North Pier and titled, "Fading Light." There are a number of other photos from those photo shoots on the lighthouse photography forum. The photo that is predominantly blue is "Sturgeon Bay Reflection" that was shot in June, 2001 of the Sturgeon Bay North Pierhead light that won first place in the color photography category at last year's Door County Maritime Museum's juried photography show. I had two photos juried into the September-December exhibit this year but no winners.

A wider view looking at the east wall...

Continuing to the right of "Sturgeon Bay Reflection" are photos titled, "September Storm," and "Summer Sunset" both taken at South Haven, "Grand Haven Gale" taken during a fiere spring gale in April, 1996, which was the oldest of my photos in the show, "Last Light" a photo taken around Labor Day this year at South Haven, and finally furthest right, "Twilight at Little Sable," which was shot in April, 2001 on a day that I started at dawn by photographing the Pointe aux Barques lighthouse in Michigan's thumb and finished by photographing Little Sable at sunset.

The south wall of the gallery is only wide enough to accomodate 3 of my 20x24 Cibachrome prints...

Going left to right toward the corner is a photo titled, "Building Storm" taken at Marblehead, Ohio. There are a number of other photos posted on the lighthouse photography forum from the Marblehead shoot when this was taken if anyone is interested in seeing larger versions. In the center is "Winter Sunset" taken at St. Joe's a few years ago from atop the sand dunes just to the north of the north pier where I was thigh deep in snow on a cold day.... brrrrrrrrr!!! The 3rd photo just left of the corner is another of Big Red in Holland (Jeff and Mary's back yard) titled, "Reflection on the Sand."

Looking at the west wall of the gallery...

Going left to right are "Dawn Surf" and "Pacific Twilight" taken at Pigeon Point lighthouse in California, " Catwalk -- Last Day of Innocence, September 10, 2001" taken at sunset at South Haven the beautiful evening before the horrific events in NYC the next morning. The large print of the reeds (the only non-lighthouse photo hung for the show) is "Reflection of a Pastel Morning," which took an honorable mention in the 2000 Popular Photography International photo contest, which was one of 54 images published out of 65,000+ submitted that year.

"Dawn at Pigeon Point," is next to the right followed by "Storm Front," a shot of the sun descending through a storm band coming east across Lake Michigan at South Haven, and finally in the corner is "Eccentric Concentric" a B&W photo of the beautiful cast iron spiral staircaes inside Bodie Island Lighthouse in North Carolina. Sitting on the floor is a panoramic photo titled, "Rising from the Mists" taken at Sturgeon Bay, WI during my June, 2001 photo trip. There was a small version of "Pillar of Fire" (see below) also sitting on the floor but it went home last night with Earl Major and is probably now hanging in his library! The photo to the right of the corner on the north wall of the gallery is "Where Hatteras Stood" taken from the beach at Cape Hatteras, North Carolina looking to the south before this beautiful icon of the Outer Banks was moved back to safety from the encroaching Atlantic Ocean. This 20x30 photo of mine is now in the collection of Mary TenHave who lives here in Kalamazoo.

The last photo consumes the entire back of the wall facing the doorway of the gallery and is a 30x40 print of "Pillar of Fire" taken last winter at South Haven.

I hope all of my friends here on the Collector's Forums enjoy this "virtual tour" of my gallery show, and again, thanks so very much for your many expressions of support and encouragement.

Gary

Re: Gallery Show #181270 09/15/02 05:13 PM
Gary Martin Offline OP
OP Offline
OK, so I should have broken the Virtual Gallery Show photo tour in two parts since I ended up wanting to post more than 8 photos... Here are the last few that give a little better view of some of the framed pieces hung in the show.

If there's any interest on the part of folks on the CF for me to post individual jpegs of the individual images from the show, let me know and I'll start a thread to do that on the lighthouse photography forum.

One other photo from the opening reception:

Left to right my friends Anne Cooper chatting with Brian Kaluzny, Autumn Bleeker, the gallery owner (behind the cash register) talking to Penny Briscoe of Encore Magazine.

Thanks again, everyone...

Gary

Re: Gallery Show #181271 09/15/02 06:35 PM
T
Tina Hamed Offline
T
Hi Gary! Wish I could have been there to see this! But, I know that I will soon get to see your wonderful work up close and personal! Can't wait!

Re: Gallery Show #181272 09/15/02 07:24 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks for the tour, Gary.

Beautiful, just beautiful!

I hope that this showing will be a financial success for you and Inner Images. It certainly is an aesthetic one - even for those of us who must see it on the Internet instead of in person.

Congratulations!

Re: Gallery Show #181273 09/15/02 07:29 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am a little late getting around to posting, but It was a very nice showing that Gary has set up at the gallery, the Internet and a computer monitor cannot do justice to Gary's work. Some of the photographs have been shown here in the forums but they really look sharp in person. I was able to spend a couple hours chatting and enjoying the photographs with Gary picking up a lot of helpful hints along the way. The 30x40 "Pillar of fire" is an amazing photo with its size I was able to see the little icicles hanging from the catwalk that you wouldn't be able to see in a Internet image, also the one non lighthouse picture of the Reeds is an extremely neat photo too. If you live near by and were thinking about seeing the gallery display - Do it! It runs through November 9th. I really had a great time, finally got to meet Gary and hopefully we'll get a chance to meet up and shoot some pictures soon.
Mark Wagner

Re: Gallery Show #181274 09/15/02 08:13 PM
Gary Martin Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks, Tina and welcome the forums as a new member, and thanks too, John, and Mark.

Gary

Re: Gallery Show #181275 09/15/02 10:09 PM
2beacons Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Jeff and I went to Gary's opening reception last night. To say his photos are amazing is an understatment.

For us it was a short drive down to the gallery. We understand that we missed Mark Wagner by a couple of hours.

For anyone who lives close, I really encourage you to take the drive to Kalamazoo to see these works of art. The photo called Pillar of Fire is just amazing.

We took home two small prints from the show. One is a photo of Bodie Island that shows the staircase going up from the main level. Gary told us that he happened to be there when some people were going up to do maintenace. He asked if he could shoot the photo and was given permission as long as he didn't climb the stairs.

The second one was a photo of Cape Hatteras that he took before the move. The shot was taken from his tripod that he had set up in the ocean to take the photo. He said the tripod has never forgiven him. It still wants to rust to this day.

All we can say to you Gary is how much we enjoyed the show and please keep up the great work.

Mary and Jeff
smile smile smile smile smile smile smile

Re: Gallery Show #181276 09/15/02 10:27 PM
Gary Martin Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Mary and Jeff!!! I count myself as unbelievably fortunate to have been at South Haven with my cameras the night we had the sun pillar that ended up as the 30x40 print, "Pillar of Fire." I about went back home about 5 times that night... several times before I even got to the lake because of the weather that I was driving through going out. I don't know what prompted me to listen to that "little voice" in the back of my mind but wow am I ever glad that I did!!!!

As I just mentioned in a post on the lighthouse photography forum, Terry Forrest from Tewksbury, MA and Bill Taylor from Sacramento, CA are both flying in this coming Friday to spend a week photographing with me here in SW Michigan. Bill and I frequently shoot together when I'm out on the left coast on business, and Terry has been here in Kzoo a couple of times for photo shoots with me. If you or Jeff have the time and want to join the traveling photo circus, or anyone else who lives in the area for that matter, you're all more than welcome. There's no particular game plan, so if anyone's interested, just e-mail whenever you have the time and I'll let you know what we're likely to be up to the next day and where we might be able to meet with anyone.

Thanks,
Gary

Re: Gallery Show #181277 09/15/02 11:39 PM
B
Bud Schrader Offline
Wacko
Wacko
B
Gary, thanks for the tour, very nice!!!!

Bud
Re: Gallery Show #181278 09/15/02 11:50 PM
Chesapeake Bryan Offline
Gary,

Thanks for sharing your tour with us.

Re: Gallery Show #181279 09/16/02 02:44 AM
K
Ken Offline
K
Gary,

Wow! Thanks for the virtual tour! I wish I could easily drop in and see the showing up close and personal. Thanks for sharing.

I'll be sure to look you up if/when I make it up to K'zoo!

Ken McCrimmon

Re: Gallery Show #181280 09/16/02 08:58 AM
Gary Martin Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the comments Bud and Brian and welcome to the forums, Ken.

Gary

Re: Gallery Show #181281 09/16/02 09:42 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Congrats Gary on your show and thanks for letting us know how it went.
Bob

ps Moving topic to lighthouse photography so we can find it later.

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Gallery Show #181282 09/16/02 10:23 AM
N
Nana Offline
N
Gary,
Before I even type the words, "Ya gotta know that I enjoyed the tour of your exhibit". Your work is all amazing to me. Only wish I could drive on up and view each one with these old eyes. Hopefully, as John said, it will be a good venture for you. I know how much you enjoy the chase and it shows in your work. You know, you and God make a good team...Or have I said that before?
Derith

Re: Gallery Show #181283 09/16/02 12:43 PM
O
oseabee Offline
Administrator
Administrator
O
Hi Gary:
Just checked out the postings on your show.Some of the pics shown are great.
will be heading back to Florida and my own computer on next monday 23 Sept..good luck and have a good time will write an Email on my return home.Bill O'Brien

oseabee
Bill O'Brien

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 846 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users