Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Replica wanted Bristol Ferry Light, RI #18115 10/19/98 03:29 PM
P
Polly Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I have a friend that wishes to buy her parents lighthouse replicas from their East coast origins. Pemaquid Point, was no problem, just gave her the Harbour Lights brochure. However, I’m having a difficult time helping her find a replica of Bristol Ferry Light from Bristol, Rhode Island. It looks similar to a white-washed version of Sand Island, and is/was located where the Mount Hope River meets Narragansett Bay.

I would be grateful any of you kind folks from the East (or anywhere) have information on this light or know where I can send my friend for a replica. Please send any leads my way via posting or direct e-mail to . . . jlp@usa.net

Many thanks in advance.

Re: Replica wanted Bristol Ferry Light, RI #18116 10/19/98 06:17 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't know where you can buy a replica of the Bristol Ferry lighthouse, but i can tell you that in 1916, the iron lantern and deck from the old Rondout lighthouse in Kingston new York which was replaced by the present lighthouse, were dismantled from the old lighthouse and shipped to Bristol, Rhode Island, where it was used to replaced the original wooden lantern and deck, which had fallen into disrepair. There it was shown until 1927 when the Bristol Ferry Light was discontinued.

Re: Replica wanted Bristol Ferry Light, RI #18117 10/21/98 02:12 PM
P
Polly Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Thanks for the information I'll forward to my friend. You mentioned the light was discontinued (as many are) do you know if it is still standing?

Re: Replica wanted Bristol Ferry Light, RI #18118 10/21/98 03:29 PM
R
Rod Watson Offline
Saint
Saint
R
The light is still standing, Polly. It was one of the lights we cruised by during the Harbour Lights Reunion Saturday boat cruise. A little dinky building when viewed in juxtaposition to the large Mount Hope River Bridge next to it.

Here is a photo of it on the IPL site, but from a viewpoint where the bridge is not shown:
http://www.ipl.org/exhibit/light/ATL/BristolFerry.html

-RodW

[This message has been edited by Rod Watson.]

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 871 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users