cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Cheboyhan, MI lighthouse Ruins #180985 01/26/03 02:43 AM
Mike Hershberger Offline OP
OP Offline
As promised, these pictures show all that is left of the old Cheboygan, MI lighthouse. The light was deactivated around 1920 if I remember correctly, and then deteriorated quickly and now is no more than a stone foundation. Due to the growth of trees around this site, there aren't a lot of options composition wise, so I apologize for the fact that these don't show much.

In this photo, you can see a section of red brick in the front wall just behind the tree. The tree is right where the front door once was. The tower projected out from the roof just above that door, there was no seperate tower.

This one was taken from the opposite corner, which would put the front door area near the upper left of the photo.

And this is an antique photo of the light that I found. Due to the age of the photo I can't imagine there are any copyrights on it, if it will be a problem posting it here just let me know and I'll remove it promptly. As you can see, the area has gotten considerably more overgrown in the 80+ years since this was taken.

I'm glad we have beautiful, working lights to visit, not just sites like this. This site should be an inspiration for lighthouse enthusiasts everywhere to get involved in a preservation program of some kind.

Re: Cheboyhan, MI lighthouse Ruins #180986 01/26/03 09:38 AM
Gary Martin Offline
Thanks for the ruins shots, Mike. Much appreciated. They serve to remind us what can happen to our existing maritime treasures if they're not properly maintained and cared for.

Gary

Re: Cheboyhan, MI lighthouse Ruins #180987 01/26/03 08:31 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I had set out to visit those ruins a few years ago, I started walking back to it just past sunrise around 5:30am and shortly into my walk I saw a bear cub a couple thousand feet ahead of me and knowing the mother couldn't be far behind, so I headed back to the camper and never did get around to going back. We get up that way almost every summer, so I'lll get around to it sooner or later.

Re: Cheboyhan, MI lighthouse Ruins #180988 01/27/03 02:20 AM
Mike Hershberger Offline OP
OP Offline
You probably made a very wise choice in saving this one for another day. Luckily I saw no such mammals on my trip, pretty safe in early January.
It is a really nice area to see, I especially liked the view of Fourteen foot shoal and Poe reef. I was there about 45 mins after sunrise, and the light was really good. And since the lake was frozen a couple hundred yards out from shore I was able to get a bit closer to them, and it made for some neat compositions with the snow.

Re: Cheboyhan, MI lighthouse Ruins #180989 01/28/03 12:08 AM
B
Bud Schrader Offline
Wacko
Wacko
B
Mike, thanks for the shots. Too bad we don't have that one around anymore!

Bud

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Rock, Dave H), 1,337 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users