Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Michigan Lighthouse Pictures From '02 #180902 10/30/05 09:20 PM
Bigbird Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Okay, now that I've succeeded, I'm supposed to be an expert right? Well, we'll see; here's some pics that I scanned from our 2002 trip to Michigan:

A murial on a wall in Port Clinton where Marblehead is; no the "cherry picker" is not part of the scene! smile

Marblehead lighthouse

Grand Traverse

Old Mackinac

Old Mission Point

Point Betsie

Round Island

I'll post more later.

Steve

Health through education, for a much misguided nation!!
Re: Michigan Lighthouse Pictures From '02 #180903 10/30/05 11:20 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Well done Steve. Now that you've got the hang of it, I hope we get to see more of your pictures.

Bert smile

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Michigan Lighthouse Pictures From '02 #180904 10/30/05 11:45 PM
Grover Offline
Steve,

Thanks for posting these shots ... I was there in 2002 as well, in October ...

I love that you captured the birdhouse at Grand Traverse ... many lighthouses have them ... this one is one of the best ...

Did you manage to capture any tower shots at Old Mackinac? How about the connecting way between the house and tower? This quickly became my second all-timer in terms of favorite lighthouses ... You need to walk around this one a few times to soak in all the nooks and crannies that make it so unique ...

And, if you look closely at the bottom of the tower in your Point Betsie shot, notice the damage, the missing chunk of the outer layer ... anyone know if its been repaired yet?

Appreciate your provoking some great memories for me ... Thanks again for posting ...

Barry

"Wisdom and Strength are NOT opposing values"
Re: Michigan Lighthouse Pictures From '02 #180905 10/31/05 12:30 AM
Bigbird Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
I'm not sure Barry, but I think we were up there late Sept. or Early Oct. also. The problem with our lighthouse visits (as with many of our stops), we have budgeted our time to see as much as possible and unless on a tour (like Point Iriquois and Whitefish) we don't have/take time to climb these. We had the opportunity at Point Iriquois but they only allowed like 5 people at a time and unless you stood there and counted, you never knew how many were up, so we passed on that one and walked the grounds instead of standing guard and wasting our limited time at that stop. We really only took a couple of different shots of the Mackinac light and didn't really check it out that closely. Well, since I've spilled the beans on a couple of what's left, here's the rest:

Round Island Passage

Charlevoix light; we saw a boat passing through the "straight", waiting to get through the drawbridge there when we were walking to the end of the pier/walk, and when we spoke to them about their dogs sunning on board, we found they were from Norfolk (next city to us), VA!?! Small World!!

Petoskey light

Point Iriquois

Whitefish Point

South Haven Pierhead

That's all of the various lights we saw; alot of other scenery like Sleepy Bear Dunes and a nice Cabella's up there...and Holland, MI, but no more lights. Didn't have much more time and some weren't as easy to find as we thought/were led to believe, but nice trip all the same.

Steve

Re: Michigan Lighthouse Pictures From '02 #180906 10/31/05 01:27 AM
beachcomber Offline
Steve, your pictures brought back great memories of our recent pre/post reunion tour. Thanks for sharing.

beachcomber
Re: Michigan Lighthouse Pictures From '02 #180907 10/31/05 09:13 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks for sharing the pics, Steve! Keep them coming!

smile Bob smile

Re: Michigan Lighthouse Pictures From '02 #180908 10/31/05 10:30 PM
MrsTLC Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Nice cool pictures Steve...thanks for posting them...someday I'll learn how to post pictures too. confused

Ruthie
"Where words fail, Music speaks"
Re: Michigan Lighthouse Pictures From '02 #180909 10/31/05 11:57 PM
sandy Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Super pictures Steve. Haven't been to that section of the USA as yet and your shots make me want to load up the RV and go right now. laugh laugh

Re: Michigan Lighthouse Pictures From '02 #180910 11/01/05 02:05 AM
beachcomber Offline
Sandy, I hope you get to read my lengthy post in the General Forum about the pre/post reunion bus tour. We had a fantastic time in Michigan. I hope that a lot of other collectors have the opportunity to visit this area; there are so many lights so close to each other that the drive is totally worthwhile.

beachcomber
Re: Michigan Lighthouse Pictures From '02 #180911 11/01/05 11:43 AM
Bigbird Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Yeah, while up there, we stayed in Traverse City most of the time, so we were w/i striking distance of the Old Mission and Grand traverse lights, then we went to Sleepy Bear Dunes and and Point Betsie area one day, then to Charlevoix, Petoskey and Mackinac another day with another day being the trip to the Upper Peninsula and Whitefish and Iriquois, and still another day to Mackinac Island. There was alot more to see on the UP but we were on a trolley tour. On the way back we went to look for Holland Light after leaving Holland "park" but rode right by the poorly marked location and ended up in Grand Haven! We were perturbed to say the least, and it was starting to look nasty, so we headed back to South Haven and hit some shops; it stopped raining so we went to that light (see water standing on breakwater - with calm water, so yes, that was from the rain); so we missed Grand Haven and Holland being THAT close. Planned a little better and being familiar with the sites on lights now, we may have been able to see more, but again, our time was budgeted. :rolleyes: All in all, we saw alot!

Steve

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,268 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users