Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Cameras #180667 04/03/02 01:14 PM
MtnHkr Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
I really enjoy seeing pictures on the Forums. I agree with BobM, I think pictures are worth a thousand words.

My question is this! I am debating bying a digital camera, as this seems the way to go for instant pictures, especially when related to web sites and computers.

Does anyone in Forumland have any preferences for digital cameras? What should I be looking for? Should I wait until that new chip comes out later this year or next year that is supposed to revolutionize digital photography? What are you using?

I will be going in for surgery April 4th, but am looking forward to reading your input when I get back to the Forums.

Thanks,

Bert

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Cameras #180668 04/03/02 04:12 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Best of luck on the surgery, Bert.

There are a lot of mid-priced, mid-range pixel cameras available now. These are priced between $400-$600 and usually have 2-3 megapixel resolution.

I'd look for an everyday camera that has at least a 3-1 optic zoom and that has a viewfinder as well as the video screen on the back.

In bright sunlight, it is hard to see the image on the video screen.

You might find some higher-end cameras on close-out as newer models are released.

The new technology isn't on the market yet, but one camera has been announced - with a price just under $3,000 (probably $2,999.99). As usual this price will get drastically reduced over the next 2 years until it probably will replace the existing in 90% of the digital camera offerings. But you can't buy any technology these days but that it's out of date the week after you make the purchase.

Check out CNET for digital cameras:

http://electronics.cnet.com/electronics/0-1429209.html?tag=dir

In the upper right, there are links to the editors top 5 cameras by megapixels.

John

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 04-03-2002).]

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 04-03-2002).]

Re: Cameras #180669 04/03/02 04:51 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Your inquiry should generate some interesting responses, Bert.

No matter what camera you purchase, it will be outdated by a newer model in a matter of a few months. Lorna bought an Olympus DL-460 for me in December of 2000. About a month later the Olympus DL-490 was released.

How much money do you want to spend? That's a good place to start.

How often will you use the camera? Why spend a lot of money for something you will only use occasionally.

Inquire about battery life for the camera. Some cameras can eat up batteries in a single photo session. Use an AC adapter for all downloading, erasing, and adjustments. It will save your batteries for taking pics.

Are you a real photography nut? If not, buy a simple camera.

Will your pictures just be posted on the Net or will you send them out for printing? Although it's easy to erase the photos you don't want on your disk or smartmedia card, having them printed is a little more aggravating. If you want prints all the time, use a regular camera.

Digital photography is very enjoyable and satisfying. It's nice to be able to correct faults in photos on your computer and crop them down to a real nice shot. It allows you to share your hobby with hundreds of people via the Net.

Photography is something most everybody can enjoy. It's fun, it's fascinating, and rewarding when you get that very special shot.

Good luck in your quest for the perfect camera for you. I'll look forward to seeing your photos posted at the CF!

Bob

Re: Cameras #180670 04/03/02 05:44 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
You don't always need the latest technology to accomplish what you need. If you put off until "the latest chip" you'll always be waiting. Your biggest questions should be storage, access, and what are you going to do with the results? Everybody's needs are different and you don't want to spend an extra $500 for options you'll never use. I bought a Sony Mavica CD about 2 1/2 years ago because I was waiting for that technology before I bought. I still use it constantly and for my purposes it's just what I need. I had a $3500-5000 Nikon in my hands a few month ago, and although very impressive, I'd be scared to use it and travel with it.
Good Luck. Do your research and get your hands on one before you buy it. You can get some good tips from Forumites as I purchased mine after seeing the wonderful results from Sean.

- Bob

80 - MSS

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Cameras #180671 04/03/02 09:43 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you are going to want prints also, you might want to consider trying Kodak's Picture CD, You must order it at the time you get your film developed I think it is 7.99 (I think) for the CD but Walgreens and Target have $3-$5 off coupons fairly often and I would guess other places do too. It is a great way to get your pictures into a digital format and have them permanently stored, they are sized at 1536 x 1034 dpi for landscape pictures. If you have a photo editing program they are easy to work with. It normally costs about $9.99 to $12.99 for a 24 exposure for everything. I first tried it with my film from my trip to the Baltimore reunion and have used it every time since (about 40 rolls now) Here is a picture from the reunion that is untouched, cropped or any other adjustment

Anyway it is an alternative to the cost of a
digital camera and photo quality printer if you want to have prints too
[This message has been edited by Mark Wagner (edited 04-03-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Mark Wagner (edited 04-03-2002).]

Re: Cameras #180672 04/04/02 02:11 AM
1of3trees@prodigy.net Offline
I went that route with Walgreen's on the Kodak cd's, Mark. Although the Kodak photo labs seem to give the best scans of any of the labs that provide cd's (and I used several before I tried them), there were also times when their scans really STUNK, too. In addition, I ran into a number of times when the photo labs (Kodak's) sent back floppy disks instead of the cd's I wanted. If that happens to any of you, DON'T LET THE STORE CLERKS TRY TO TELL YOU THAT THE LAB CAN'T CORRECT IT AND CAN'T STILL SCAN THEM ON TO CD'S. They can!!!!!!!! They're also supposed to refund your money that you paid for the incorrect disk or not charge you for the picture CD. Expect, though, if the lab goofs -- or a store clerk goofs in writing up the order -- when they correct it and scan them on to a cd, the quality of the scans is not going to be as good, partly because the negatives have been already cut, where when it's done from the beginning, the negatives are on a continuous roll when they scan them and it's much easier to scan them that way. Good luck if you go that route!!

------------------
Terry (Only my mother, brothers & sisters call me Teresa) Forrest

Terry (Only my mother, brothers & sisters call me Teresa) Forrest
Re: Cameras #180673 04/04/02 06:16 PM
Torchbearer Offline
A friend of mine wants to purchase for their son a decent "point and shoot" 35mm camera with a zoom. They want it to be fully automatic and effortless to operate. Their son is 17 years old and wants something that will last. He would like to spend anywhere between $100 and $200 dollars. Any suggestions out there?

Tim - Keeping the flame lit...

Re: Cameras #180674 04/04/02 08:11 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Tim,

I think I commented on the options on point & shoot cameras on another thread on here. I'll find out which one and edit this after I do, but in the meantime....

OK - there's a thread on here from March 7th titled, Recommended Starter Camearas that gives more or less a summary of some of the starter cameras that are presently out there. I don't know how much help that will be, but for whatever it's worth....

Gary

[This message has been edited by lighthouse_photo (edited 04-04-2002).]

Re: Cameras #180675 04/05/02 10:25 PM
sanibel
sanibel
One other thought that I have not seen mentioned is the world of scrapbooking. If you plan to scrapbook then it is nice to have the digital camera option and you can print only the pictures you want. Color ink jet printers are pretty cheap these days, but give good quality prints for scrapbooking. We also have the Sony Mavica CD and chose it because it holds more shots than any other medium and we can buy a pack of 5 CD's for about $20, which is much cheaper than the other mediums.
Anyway, before buying anything, look at the differences between compact flash, the other chip that I forget the name of and CD technology to decide what is best for your lifestyle.

Eileen Dunlap
Charlotte, NC
Re: Cameras #180676 04/06/02 02:41 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
Canon G2

Excellent Digital Camera site w/ Reviews

[This message has been edited by JTimothyA (edited 04-05-2002).]

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 900 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users