Print Thread
Question for Gary, Paul, John, Tim, etc, etc. #180611 11/04/02 12:59 AM
R
Rod Watson Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
R
I am going to pick up a few new lenses over the next couple weeks for the Canon EOS A2E AF body. I can't afford to buy Canon's "L" pro series EF lenses right now in the faster speeds I want ($1000+ each), and the Canon USM non "L" series lenses are slower than I want. So I am looking at some 3rd party lenses instead. I may sell and upgrade them in the distant future, but for now...

Curious if any of you have used the lenses below, and your comments. Most lens tests and user surveys seem to rate these high to very high. I know their AF is slower and louder than Canon's USM motors, but what the hey:

-Tokina AT-X Pro II 28-70mm f/2.6-2.8 Aspherical/ HLD glass/ 77mm filter size
-Sigma EX APO IF 70-200mm f/2.8 constant (with new HSM motor)/ SLD glass/ 77mm filter size
-Sigma EX APO IF 300mm Macro f/4.0 (HSM)/ SLD glass/ 77mm filter size

and as a possible backup choice for the 70-200:
-Tamron SP 70-210mm f/2.8 constant/ LD glass/ 77mm filter size

Yes, No, Maybe?
Thanks

Rod Watson
Re: Question for Gary, Paul, John, Tim, etc, etc. #180612 11/04/02 02:02 AM
Gary Martin Offline
Rod, I'm afraid I can't help very much, I'm pretty much using Nikon high end glass at this point. The only semi-comparable Sigma lens that I have is their Pro 14 mm f2.8 and I've been pretty happy with it. It's quiet and performs very well, but, at the same time, wasn't a cheap lens. Now I think it's going for about $750 or so. It was closer to $900 when I first got it nearly 2 years ago. Hope that this helps some.

Gary

Re: Question for Gary, Paul, John, Tim, etc, etc. #180613 11/04/02 02:15 AM
R
Rod Watson Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
R
Thanks Gary. Most of these are in the $550-$850 range new, but occasionally there are some really clean ones on e-bay for $300-$550. Much easier to swallow than the $1000-$2000 range of the EF "L" lens'. The boss already wants to kill me, anyways.

PhotoZone has some nice lens performance surveys that helped a bit, along with all the other web review sites, etc.
PhotoZone

Re: Question for Gary, Paul, John, Tim, etc, etc. #180614 11/04/02 03:17 AM
JWB Offline
For what its worth...

Tamron has been advertising in Outdoor Photographer a couple of compact zooms that may be in line with what you are looking for. The Tamron XR series sounds like it would provide excellent flexibility without you needing to switch between lenses over and over again.

One is an Af 28-200 f/3.8-5.6 XR Aspherical Macro Super Zoom. 12.5 oz, 62mm, 3" long.

The Second is an AF 28-300 f/3.5-6.3 XR LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Ultra Zoom. 14.8 Oz, 62mm, 3.3" long.

I am not sure on pricing, but I bet your Boss would like the fact that instead of needing to work with Two Lenses, you would be down to One. I don't know if that is fast enough for you, or not, but hope this opens up a different element for you.

JB

Re: Question for Gary, Paul, John, Tim, etc, etc. #180615 11/05/02 12:02 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
Rod, I have no familiarity with the zoom lenses on your list.

I'm into my switch to Canon from Nikon for less than a year and have not made the L-glass plunge yet. (Emphasis on *yet* :-) My Canon 28-135 3.5-5.6 IS USM has proven a great walking around lens while I learn to use the D30.

The Canon 28-70 f2.28 L is being replaced by a newer 24-70 model. The 28-70 can be had for less than a grand and everything I read sez this is a truly superb lens. The boss will understand about the 'investment' ... lol!

I've also heard and read lottsa good things of the Canon EF 50 1.4 (~$300)- should make an excellent portrait lens for those new baby pictures. :-) This one is on my short list.

For good prices check Delta Int\'l. - grey mrkt, but v. good rep. They list the Canon 28-70 for ~$940. (My theory is US for bodies, grey mrkt for lenses.)

And here's another review link to check.

Though I still have it, I sure do miss using my Nikon 80-200.

Good luck. Let us know what you end up with, and how you like your choices.

T

Re: Question for Gary, Paul, John, Tim, etc, etc. #180616 11/05/02 04:15 AM
R
Rod Watson Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
R
Thanks guys. I originally thought about going for a super zoom, JB, but after comparing the specs and lens test results, I decided to step up a notch and stay with faster stuff if possible. I have 5 primes and 2 zooms for the older FD bodies, so I have been getting pretty used to flipping through the lenses frequently. Got the one handed thing down pat. Becki makes a good caddy when I need her to grab stuff out of the bags for me...with a few choice words added in occasionally. For the AF system, I think I will stick to the 3 lens range above, add in 1.4x and 2x converters, and later on a 20mm prime, and a 50mm prime to complete the 'set' eventually.

I did just pick up the Sigma APO 300mm f/4 prime today. Paid $355 for one that only had 1 roll shot through it, and in brand new mint condition. The new HSM motor is much quieter and faster than the older version, and is supposed to compete with Canon's USM focusing speed. Doesn't quite make it, but is at least much better than others. B&H sells the lens for $690, and it supposedly lists for $1323 (an extremely doubtful overkill), so I got a fairly nice deal. Will have to report back someday on the results. Would love to have a 2.8 in the 300mm, but I'd really receive lashes for that. With pro series converters added, it will make a 420mm f/5.6, and 600mm f/8. Fairly slow, but at least satisfactory for the tripod. I don't shoot much in that range anyways, but I will be covered. It would definitely be much better than the 500mm f/8 mirror lens I am using now.

Tim, I was also debating the IS lenses. Wanted to go a tad faster, but I was very intrigued with the Image Stabilizer concept. The 28-135 and the 70-200 both looked fairly nice, and I read alot of user reviews on them. Like you, I also noticed the great raves on the EF 50mm f/1.4. I have the same older MF Canon 50mm f/1.4 version for the FD mount, and it is one of my favorite lenses. I use it instead of the zooms most of the time when I can. Can't get much sharper, and the specs are amazing. It will seem very odd not having that in the AF arsenal, so I will have to add it someday after I pick up the others. A wide 20 or 24mm prime is probable too, but last on the list. There is a nice website on the EF mount lenses, 3rd party alternatives, converters, and the difference between the various USM, IS, and L lenses at this link. Was a very interesting and informative read:

Canon EOS Lens FAQ
Rod Watson
Re: Question for Gary, Paul, John, Tim, etc, etc. #180617 11/05/02 02:06 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Originally posted by Rod Watson:
Becki makes a good caddy when I need her to grab stuff out of the bags for me...with a few choice words added in occasionally.
I seem to recall that Becki may not be able to function quite as well in the "caddy" role with the recent addition to the Watson household...

Dave

Re: Question for Gary, Paul, John, Tim, etc, etc. #180618 11/05/02 10:45 PM
Kaiz Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Hi Rod,
I have a Canon EOS-1N and have used a few different lenses. I currently pretty much use just two: the Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L and because I also wanted to keep costs down some, a Tokina ATX 280AF Pro (which is the 28-80 f/2.8.) It is very difficult for me to notice any difference in sharpness or quality. The mechanics of the lenses as far as focusing speed and smoothness do favor the Canon L to a degree, but lighthouses don't seem to move too quickly anyway.
Most of the time, the 28-80 is the one I'm using and for what it is worth, save the $400-500 and go for the Tokina over the Canon L. I think you would be very pleased with the results.
Just some thoughts, Mike

Re: Question for Gary, Paul, John, Tim, etc, etc. #180619 11/06/02 12:43 AM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
Rod if you really want a great lens for lighthouse photography save up and by yourself a tilt shift. The days of leaning lighthouses are long gone, unless of course the lighthouse is really leaning.

smile

Re: Question for Gary, Paul, John, Tim, etc, etc. #180620 11/06/02 12:32 PM
R
Rod Watson Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
R
Dave,
You're right about the loss of the caddy now. In fact, these days the lens bag has been replaced with the diaper bag. I wonder if Gerber makes a combo diaper/lens bag? Shoulder strap complete with bottle holder and clip on rattle... The possibilities are endless! In 4 or 5 years, he can be the paparazzi assistant. It could become great father and son bonding, and he could carry everything. LOL.

Mike,
I'm glad you like the AT-X 28-80. I'm having a hard time seeing the difference between the specs of the 28-70 AT-X II, and the 28-80 AT-X. The 28-70 is supposed to have a little less distortion and is 1/2 stop faster on the wide end, but the 28-80 seems to be of a better build quality (they call it the 'tank') and has slightly faster focusing. It is the more expensive of the two, and with a slightly longer range. I may just go with it. Since most zooms perform their worse at the long end, it would overlap the 70-200 a little more, and I wouldn't have to open it to it's longest range quite as often as the 28-70 (a really minor point though).

Sean,
I came very close to buying a Canon 35mm tilt shift for the MF body last year. I knew I would gradually leave the MF system though, and didn't want to blow the money for one at the time. I should probably buy the EF tilt shift instead of a 20 or 24mm wide angle. I would definitely use it more since I'm not too keen on the fisheye and tilting effects of the wide angles. I snap alot of shots of my architectural designs too, so it would be perfect for those. I could probably write it off as a business expense and it would help justify the cost to the boss! LOL. I'll tell her it was your idea.

I'm mostly jumping to the EF lenses and AF system because they are compatible with Canon's top digital bodies. In a year or so when all the lenses are purchased I will pick up a nice digital body to go with the A2E. Prices should come down a tad by then too.

Re: Question for Gary, Paul, John, Tim, etc, etc. #180621 11/06/02 04:02 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
Rod my two main cameras are the EOS 3 and the D60. If you ever have any questions, send me some email.

Re: Question for Gary, Paul, John, Tim, etc, etc. #180622 11/06/02 09:33 PM
Gary Martin Offline
I have to echo Sean's comment on the Tilt/Shift lens, Rod. I have a Nikkor 35 mm f2.8 PC (Perspective Correction = Nikonspeak for tilt/shift) lens and have gotten a great deal of use out of it for lighthouse photography. As it turns out, I found mine on e-Bay in essentially mint condition at an excellent price. It's worth looking for one to be sure.

Gary

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,252 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users