cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Tripod Preference #180167 02/11/03 01:30 AM
Mike Hershberger Offline OP
OP Offline
Now that we've talked at length about different cameras and lenses on here, I'm now curious about what kind of tripods you all use. Currently I'm using an Ambico that I got at Wal-Mart. It does the job, but I really want something more sturdy and maneuverable. I've heard of the big names, but I don't know a lot about them.
Carbon fiber, aluminum, ballheads, 3 ways, rapid column, geared column.... Oy vey eek
Of course I will be using the tripod mostly for outdoor use, so I'm trying to keep that in mind too.
So, let's compare notes. Thanks to you all, I know this will be a huge help to me.

Re: Tripod Preference #180168 02/11/03 02:44 AM
Gary Martin Offline
I use two tripods, Mike, both Bogens. I've got an older 3221 tripod that I use with either a Bogen 3047 pan/tilt head with a quick release hex plate or, when I'm shooting with my 500 mm lens, with a Bogen 3421 long lens support. The other tripod is a Bogen 3021 Pro that has the ability for the center post to be used both horizontally if you want your camera off to the side as well as upside down if you're doing macro work. All three legs on both are independantly positionable which is important if you're shooting in very uneven terrain. Neither tripod is particularly light, but given the conditions I shoot in, the last thing I want is a lightweight tripod. Hope this helps some.

Gary

Re: Tripod Preference #180169 02/11/03 11:15 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm using a Bogen 3021 at present which I bought after using an older Velbon for some years. What a pleasant change! A very sturdy tripod, though a little heavy when I was packing it around with a 3047 Pan/Tilt head. Recently, I found a Manfrotto 308 ball head which reduced the weight, and what I prefer to use most of the time now. You can't go wrong with the Bogens for sturdiness. I try to stay away from using any post extension if possible. I'm not shooting with any long lenses at present, but will more than likely use that for an excuse when I can no longer resist picking up a Gitzo 1410.

Re: Tripod Preference #180170 02/12/03 02:18 AM
B
Bud Schrader Offline
Wacko
Wacko
B
I got a good discount on a Vivitar Pro 100 at my local shop, I liked the body real well, but after using it I found the head is not tight enough at all. My shop thinks I'm too picky, but the head on my old Velbon was better! So I guess I'll get a new head and be happy. My advice is to check it out good before handing over the cash!! frown

Bud
Re: Tripod Preference #180171 02/12/03 02:35 AM
Gary Martin Offline
If they think you're too picky Bud, tell them you'll be happy to sell it back to them, only slightly used.

My expectation is that when I tighten the positioning knobs on my head that the head DOESN'T MOVE AT ALL and my Bogens all live up to that expectation! How else do you take long exposures if it's flopping around on you and have them stay sharp?

Gay

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (DANIEL, Rock), 1,573 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users