cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sturgeon Bay North Pierhead - Door County Preview - for slow net connections #179527 05/07/02 01:25 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A group of wackos that are headed to Rosemont are also, rumor has it, going to do some lighthousing in Door County during varios portions of the week prior to Rosemont. I'm going to Door County that week as well but will probably continue on northward from Door County, probably up the the Apostle Islands to see and photograph some of the lights there intead of going back to Chicago to attend the get together. All of that said, it seems fitting to share with those of you who are going lighthousing in Door County a preview of what you may see if you get up and hike in the dark a little for the dawn. For those of you who can't make it, I hope that you'll be able to on some occasion in the future.

I'm in the process of sifting through my Door County slides for a pair of submissions to the 2002 Annual Juried Photography Show that Door County Maritime Museum sponsors. The images posted below are some of those that are still in contention. Some of these are larger files that are linked to my gallery on Shutter City. My apologies if you're on a phone modem and this thread takes a while to load.

Last October, I photographed the Sturgeon Bay North Pierhead light at dawn on several mornings. Sorry, for those of you who like to sleep in, Door County doesn't have spectacular sunsets that you can taken in at the lighthouses. The Michigan shore of Lake Michigan, however has spectacular sunsets!

This first shot was taken last October.

About 40-45 minutes earlier that morning, the colors were some of the most amazing that I've ever photographed in a sunrise. Let me assure you, that this image is unmanipulated in the computer and is exactly as it was recorded on my Velvia slide.

Still earlier that morning... OK, so I'm sleep deprived.... I got up at 4:30 AM and was actually there when it was pitch black and amused myself by photographing the constellation Orion that morning as it wheeled overhead...

Last June when I was in Door County, I got up one morning at 3 AM to drive down to Sturgeon Bay from the campground where I was staying to photograph the sunrise. Worth getting up at that hour of the morning and the hour plus drive... uh huh! The sunrises in June are interesting in that there is usually a layer of mist out over the lake and you frequentyl get to see the sun rising through the mists as it is in this photo.

Finally, for the last image on this initial post to this thread, I felt obligated to include the single photo that I entered in last year's juried photography show at DCMM. Getting this image delivered on the last day that they were accepting entries for the contest by FedEx caused some consternation. FedEx delivered it to the Museum's gift shop rather than to the curator of the exhibit, so, for a time it appeared that it was lost. (No I won't be shipping for delivery on the last day of entry acceptance this year!) It was finally located in the museum gift shop, much to my relief, although I didn't know just how pleased that it being delivered would make me about a week later. During lunch, I got a phone call from June Larson, the asst. curator. She said she was calling with reference to my photo and wanted to let me that it had taken a first place in the color photography category of the juried show. To say the least, I had a hard time finishing lunch after I hung up on my cell phone and didn't come back down for about a week.

Hope you all enjoy these!

Re: Sturgeon Bay North Pierhead - Door County Preview - for slow net connections #179528 05/08/02 12:56 AM
B
Bud Schrader Offline
Wacko
Wacko
B
OK Gary, I got them on both threads, very nice!

Bud

Bud

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,180 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users