Print Thread
Cana Island, Wisconsin #178816 05/30/02 08:38 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Given that Door County lighthousing for those going is getting closer, I thought I'd post some pics of some of the lights that are on the itinerary, starting with Cana Island.

Indeed, it is an island separted from the shore by a shallow when the lake is higher than it was last year. This shot was taken on the road out to Cana Island and is one of the few distant views you can get from land.

Walking out the path to the light...

There are shallows surrounding the island which the next photo was shot from.

Another shot taken at dawn from about the same place...

Finally for now I just have to include a sunrise shot with a long telephoto of the Fresnel in the lantern room!

More later.

Gary

[This message has been edited by lighthouse_photo (edited 05-30-2002).]

Re: Cana Island, Wisconsin #178817 05/30/02 10:59 AM
Randy Kremer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Great pictures Gary! Makes me want to get there sooner!

4 weeks to go!

Re: Cana Island, Wisconsin #178818 05/30/02 07:27 PM
pierhead Offline
You know Gary, every time I see your photographs on here, I find myself wishing (just a little bit) that I had chosen a different profession. Being a golf course superintendent leaves me little free time during the spring and summer months to go lighthousing. Though I've gotten some really great winter shots, it's just not quite the same. Oh well, maybe one day....
Thanks for posting all your great pictures, it's always a joy to look at them.

Re: Cana Island, Wisconsin #178819 05/30/02 07:47 PM
W
WisKeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
W
Great photos! The Lake Michigan water level is higher this year, no problem crossing the causeway, but there isn't as much exposed rock to walk out on around the island.

Suzanne

Suzanne Murphy
President, Wisconsin Lighthouse District (WILD)
Re: Cana Island, Wisconsin #178820 05/30/02 09:19 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sounds like I'm going to get my feet wet then Suzanne. I'm definitely going to have some more photos similar to those taken out on the rocks. I've set my tripod up in the Atlantic Ocean already a few times... I might as well dunk it in Lake Michigan too.

I'm glad everyone is enjoying the shots that I'm posting here on the lighthouse photography forum. I hope that there will be some contributions from others after the Door County lighthousing trip next month. I'm certainly looking forward to meeting many of you then. I'll be happy to help any who wants it with any photographic questions or problems on that trip. Just ask.

Gary

Re: Cana Island, Wisconsin #178821 05/31/02 12:05 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here are a couple more photos of Cana Island.

If you walk toward the light and then turn right, an opening in the trees will take you out onto the flat rock shoal that surrounds the island where a pair of the shots in the initial post on this thread were taken. As you go that direction, the remains of an old stone fence are there which make for an interesting foreground to photos of the Cana Island light. Getting this shot requires a wide angle lens. This particular post was taken at 17 mm using a 17-35 mm wide angle zoom.

This shot of the lantern room was taken from the same location as the shot just above albeit with a 300 mm lens + 2X telextender.

[This message has been edited by lighthouse_photo (edited 05-30-2002).]

Re: Cana Island, Wisconsin #178822 06/22/02 10:31 PM
1of3trees@prodigy.net Offline
Always nice to see your photos, even when I've seen them before!!

------------------
Terry (Only my mother, brothers & sisters call me Teresa) Forrest

Terry (Only my mother, brothers & sisters call me Teresa) Forrest

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Dave H, Rock), 1,505 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users