cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
This one's for Derith! #178721 09/27/02 03:08 AM
Gary Martin Offline OP
OP Offline
This is the first of the slide scans from Grand Haven the other night. When I was looking for the first slide I wanted to scan, I thought of Derith commenting on God's handi-work, so, this one's for you, Derith!

This image, because of the brightness of the crepuscular rays streaming down through the clouds is very contrasty and the fog horn building is silhouetted, but I liked the tremendous power of the image, especially the tiny mast and sail out on the horizon. I've got about 100 shots taken that evening in everything ranging from full sunlight with the lake whipped to a tempestuous frenzy to fantastic color on the horizon when the sun finally set, with at least half a roll or more of the fantastic light show provided by the sun streaming through openings in the clouds as in this image. Suggestions on an appropriate title for this one, Derith?

Enjoy!

Gary

Re: This one's for Derith! #178722 09/28/02 12:36 AM
B
Bill Taylor Offline
B
Very Nice, Gary! We did have good light, Indeed.. How do you post a photo with message now? The old way doesn't seem to work.

Re: This one's for Derith! #178723 09/30/02 08:45 PM
Gary Martin Offline OP
OP Offline
Well, Bill flew ouyt for Sacramento last Thursday and you've started to see some of what he shot during our photo insanity tour of the Lake Michigan lights and Terry flew out for Boston this afternoon. My share of the photographic "loot" was ~20+ rolls of slides shot during the week and a big processing tab, but oh well... It's a pleasant problem to have to sift through that many slides to try to decide what you want to scan!

laugh laugh laugh laugh

Terry got to climb her first "real" lighthouse this past Saturday at Big Sable Point. One of the docents there mentioned that they're supposed to be opening Little Sable Point next year for people to climb. When/if I can get any more details on that I'll be sure to share 'em with everyone here on the forums. All together, Terry and I photographed a total of 12 Lake Michigan lights over the past week... I think Bill was at 9 by the time he headed home.

This is another of the photos shot the other night at Grand Haven that caught John C's attention when he saw it for the first time. There will be more to come regarding this image that John is cooking up... stay tuned for details somewhere here on the forums. Hope you enjoy this photo.

[img]http://www.shuttercity.com/public/lighthouse_photo/Grand%20Haven193024%2027%2Ejpg[/img]

This photo is a little bigger than the normal upload to lighthousekeepers.com and has been pulled from my gallery on shuttercity.com. If anyone wants to see the lighthouse photos in that gallery, you can access it directly from the following URL:

http://www.shuttercity.com/ShowGallery.cfm?AcctID=3940

Gary

PS As a grumble, hey John, since when are emotives considered "photos???" confused I had to delete a bunch of them because I was getting a hate reply telling me I had more than 8 photos/post!

Re: This one's for Derith! #178724 09/30/02 09:08 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
If you right-click on one of those smiley faces, and choose properties, you'll see it's a gif. Guess that makes it count as an image file.

Love than panorama!!!

Re: This one's for Derith! #178725 10/01/02 12:49 AM
W
WisKeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
W
Wow! Very Nice! Great sky on both pictures. I really like the wave action combined with sky and lighthouses!

Suzanne

Suzanne Murphy
President, Wisconsin Lighthouse District (WILD)
Re: This one's for Derith! #178726 10/01/02 11:38 AM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Gary,

As usual your pictures are the greatest. I like the way you captured the sun coming through the clouds and the wave action. Keep your pictures coming they're great.

Bert smile

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: This one's for Derith! #178727 10/01/02 11:19 PM
N
Nana Offline
N
Gary, you give the best gifts! The photo is breathtaking! And a fitting title is " Behold His Handiwork"....surely God was in charge of that scene! My oldest grandtwin would say, "Good job God!" You caught it, Gary! Thanks.
Derith
PSMy husband's mother passed away on the 26th and we were on our way to NC when you posted this great photo...otherwise, I would have responded immediately! Thanks again!

Re: This one's for Derith! #178728 11/16/02 10:08 PM
1of3trees@prodigy.net Offline
I almost didn't climb the 146 steps to the top of Big Sable Point, as Gary is aware, because we had already trudged almost 2 miles with full camera backpacks and tripods into the gift shop that's on the bottom floor of the lighthouse. We left our tripods in the shop but weren't about to leave our camera backpacks there with all the pricey photographic equipment in them, Gary's more so than mine. I'm not sorry, though, that I climbed those steps. Got a super photo of Gary at the top, others of the top of the lighthouse and some very special shadow photos of the lighthouse showing on the ground.

Terry (Only my mother, brothers & sisters call me Teresa) Forrest
Re: This one's for Derith! #178729 11/16/02 10:19 PM
Gary Martin Offline OP
OP Offline
Hey Terry, its probably about time for you to post that shot of me atop Big Sable, isn't it?

Gary

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Dave H), 1,191 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users