Print Thread
COLOR - Film vs. Digital #178630 07/03/02 12:26 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I mentioned on another thread that I'd shot some pics using both digital and film cameras at various points while I was in Door County last week. I want to share here at least one set of comparison pics. These are not exactly the same image as I was using a 14 mm ultrawide angle lens on my F5 and the digital won't go to that wide of an angle, but these were shot pretty much back-to-back within a minute or two of one another.

First, the film version, shot on Furji Velvia professional slide film:

The image shot on film was shot before the digital that follows and has the advantage of the last of the warm setting sun direct light that the digital doesn't have (compare the pier). But, look also at the richness of the blues in both. The slide wasn't tweaked colorwise for posting... the digital was to bring up the colors a little better.

For my nickel, the film version of the above pair wins hands down in terms of the richness of the color, but, what do you think? I'd be interested in hearing folks thoughts here.

I've got to scan a slide for another pair that I'll post later.

Gary

Re: COLOR - Film vs. Digital #178631 07/03/02 11:49 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Gary, do you remember how long the exposure was on the film version?

And also with the recent extremely hot days with the high ozone we have had some nice soft orange sunsets, what would you recomend for shooting (time/apreture) directly into a sunset laced picture. I know using AE the camera would leave the foreground dark compensating for the sun.

Re: COLOR - Film vs. Digital #178632 07/03/02 02:29 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Gary, that first photo is a real beauty but the 2nd one shows some nice reflections in the water.

Re: COLOR - Film vs. Digital #178633 07/03/02 10:11 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
First, my apologies on the lens used. That was a 17-35 mm f2.8 lens at 17 mm rather than my 14 mm. I was running from memory there and while it was obviously a wide angle, I was shooting with both lenses that night and got it backwards. After I downloaded the shooting data from the camera in the wee hours this morning, I caught the mistake. The exposure, Mark, was 1/60th sec at f 5.6 handheld.

As for your question regarding shooting toward the sunset. There are a couple of options. First, if there's something there that you'd like to silhouette, like a lighthouse, just let the metering system in the camera do it's thing and you'll get a silhouette of the lighthouse. A better choice is to pick a region of the sky that is what you'd like to be an average color, be it blue, or orange, or whatever. Set your camera into the manual exposure mode and either center-weighted or spot metering mode and take a meter reading in the region you're using for a reference point. Set the exposure correctly for that region and th en recompose and shoot at whatever your exposure setting was. You'll get the sky correctly exposed but if the sun is prominent, it's going to get blown out. So, you sort of end up having to juggle what it is that you want in the image. Your best bet is when you can partially obscure the sun behind something to balance the exposure a little better or to wait until it's just below the horizon. There are a couple of posts in a thread on here that I posted called "backlight" that give some examples of what I'm talking about.

Hope this helps some.

Gary

Here's the link to the Backlight thread I was talking about:
http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/Forum40/HTML/000068.html

[This message has been edited by lighthouse_photo (edited 07-03-2002).]

Re: COLOR - Film vs. Digital #178634 07/04/02 07:18 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Gary, Both photos look great. The first one looks like a real picture postcard; the second looks more realistic, i.e. what the eye would see. Dan

Re: COLOR - Film vs. Digital #178635 07/04/02 07:34 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
[IMG][/IMG]
2.5 Megapixel Digital, $600 Camera w/ Lense

[IMG][/IMG]
Fuji Velvia Slide Film, $2,200 Camera w/ Lense

Film versus Digital, it's all about the type of photos you want to take (landscape, wildlife, sports, etc...), development costs and media storage.

Sean
http://www.gstimages.com

[This message has been edited by SThompson (edited 07-04-2002).]

[This message has been edited by SThompson (edited 07-06-2002).]

Re: COLOR - Film vs. Digital #178636 07/04/02 09:24 PM
B
Bud Schrader Offline
Wacko
Wacko
B
Gary, was a polarizer used with the Velvia? Of course I'm partial to the slide version- both nice shots, as well as the ones by Sean.

Bud

Bud
Re: COLOR - Film vs. Digital #178637 07/06/02 02:41 AM
1of3trees@prodigy.net Offline
My "money's" on the film shot, Gary; the digital shot "pales" in comparison and makes me think "wimpy" as an adjective for how it compares. I'll take the gorgeous, deeper blues any day of the week (as you know)!

------------------
Terry (Only my mother, brothers & sisters call me Teresa) Forrest

Re: COLOR - Film vs. Digital #178638 07/06/02 12:42 PM
bright eyes Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Great pictures of "MINI RED" !

Re: COLOR - Film vs. Digital #178639 07/06/02 11:45 PM
1of3trees@prodigy.net Offline
Is that what they call Sturgeon Bay?

------------------

Re: COLOR - Film vs. Digital #178640 07/07/02 11:45 AM
Gary Martin Offline
I've heard the Sturgeon Bay north pierhead light referred to as both "minired" and "big red" by Sturgeon Bay locals. Personally, being from Michigan, I'd like to see "Big Red" reserved for the lighthouse up the road in Holland as it's pretty much universally known on this side of the big pond!

Garyk

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,193 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users