Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
"Lights of my life" from China #17840 03/15/00 03:44 PM
B
Bob Steinbrunn Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks very much to all of you for your messages and well wishes regarding our second adopted daughter from China. I can't begin to tell you all how much these messages have meant to me!

Dale Lawrence asks me to post further details for the few of you who may be considering a similar adoption. I have a slight reluctance to do this, feeling the topic is perhaps far afield from lighthouses, but under the guise of the girls being "Lights of my life", here we go.

I've raised two children already and have seen them out of the nest and well established on the highway of life. Now the house is empty, there is still some money left over at the end of the month, and you can only build ship models for so many hours per day. Some subassemblies are quite tedious, y'know. What to do? What to do?

Aha! There are tens of thousands of beautiful baby girls in China who are in need of a home, love, and an education. Why not fill the house with one of them?

China has a population exceeding one billion, and to travel through the larger Chinese cities is to witness incredible (by western standards) overcrowding, filth, garbage, and heavy air pollution.

To get a grip on these conditions the Chinese government has implemented population controls. Married couples are allowed to have ONE child. Moreover, the government will notify you WHEN you might have that child. If the first-born is a boy, all is well. But what if the first-born is a girl? Then the family name will discontinue and the religious links to the family ancestors, under Buddhism, will be severed.

The result is that thousands of baby girls are being abandoned and are ending up in the state welfare institutions to be raised.

You might think from all this that the Chinese don't love their children, but nothing could be further from the truth. It's just that they're practical and pragmatic.

We worked through a well-established adoption agency in Minneapolis, Children's Home Society of Minnesota (over 100 years in business, http://www.chsm.com), found them to be supremely capable, efficient, and with solid links to China's "China Center for Adoption Affairs" governmental agency.

The paperwork is extensive, the entire process is not inexpensive, but the end result is very gratifying. How many of us are granted the opportunity to save another human being? For that is what this is.

Our first daughter, Margaret, was nine months old when we went for her to Hangzhou, a beautiful (in parts) city of five million. We spent two weeks in China in December 1996 to bring her home. She is adorable, bright, and so beautiful that we've been approached to enroll her as a model. That's not what I want for my normal, healthy, four-year-old, though.

Olivia, our second, was 28 months old when we went to Changsha this past January for her. She had a number of emotional problems and institutional behaviors which are slowly, but steadily, being worked on and which diminish on a daily basis. One example is when I pour her morning cereal in her bowl, then put the box back in the cabinet. Returning to the table, I watch her use both hands to cover the bowl so the other children won't take her food away. How sad! "Olivia, I've got seventeen more boxes of Fruit Loops in the cupboard, honey, and you can have 'em all". It took two months to convince her but now she believes me.

So much has happened to us over the past three years with these two girls that I really feel I could write a book. Without going on too much more here, I'd sum up by saying it's a lot of work, I don't get much time for cruising the Collectors' Forums as previously, my model ship building has suffered serious time-allocation difficulties, all of my pants have the knees worn out from floor-play, but at night, when they both hold your hand and say "I love you, daddy", you know you'd do it all over again.

Now, if I could only keep them out of the curio cabinet!

------------------
Bob Steinbrunn
Nautical Research Guild

[This message has been edited by Bob Steinbrunn (edited 03-16-2000).]

Bob Steinbrunn
Nautical Research Guild
Re: "Lights of my life" from China #17841 03/15/00 04:27 PM
LamarB Offline
Thanks Bob. What an incredible, touching story. Miracles DO happen every day and you're the miracle in your daughter's lives, as well as their's in yours.

Re: "Lights of my life" from China #17842 03/15/00 06:15 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Wow, thanks for sharing you personal experience! I hope there is a book that comes out someday. God bless you and your family.

0 :>) St. John of the Internet

Re: "Lights of my life" from China #17843 03/15/00 06:45 PM
Brent Offline
An amazing story, Bob!!!! I can truly see why those wonderful little girls are the "Lights Of Your Life". Thank You for sharing that with us!

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member
Re: "Lights of my life" from China #17844 03/15/00 07:48 PM
easya Offline
Bob, that beautiful! Thanks for sharing and caring!

Re: "Lights of my life" from China #17845 03/15/00 09:50 PM
RRohweder Offline
That is a very touching story. Your daughters sound lovely, your wife must be a SAINT (with respect to the Saints of this forum), and you Mr. Steinbrunn, must be a very nice person yourself. Seems like a perfect match for all of you.

Rich

------------------

Re: "Lights of my life" from China #17846 03/15/00 11:11 PM
drwhok9 Offline
Pardon me if this does not come out typed clearly, but my eyes won't focus through the tears.

Dear Bob,

You have put the LIGHT in my life tonight with this post. You are truly one of the beautiful people in the world. What you are doing is a gift to the world. May your life and family be blessed with love and many joyful years. And may your curio cabinet be filled to overflowing with lighthouses.

Jim Eich

Jim
Dr. Who ?
Re: "Lights of my life" from China #17847 03/15/00 11:59 PM
RezmanDale Offline
Bob;

Thank you for sharing your life's blessings with us. Talk about Liberty enlightening the World, This is what it's all about. God Bless America! We take our freedoms for granted. The political situation in China and other places in the world are incredable.

This is a great need. Bob you and your wife have litterally saved these precious childrens lives. Bob, you two are truly SAINTS in the best sense of the word. May God continue to bless you with these precious gifts. Your "lights of your lives"

Dale

Isn't it great to live in a free country where life can be lived to the fullest!

[This message has been edited by DALE LAWRENCE (edited 03-16-2000).]

Re: "Lights of my life" from China #17848 03/16/00 12:51 AM
N
Nana Offline
N
Bob and family,

Thank you so much for allowing the forum folk to see inside your hearts. Those two little ones are so blessed to have you and your wife as their parents. God will truly bless you.

Journal your experiences each day while they are fresh. You may not use them to write a book but when your girls grow up it will be a priceless treasure for them.

Derith

Re: "Lights of my life" from China #17849 03/16/00 01:54 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks for sharing the story of your "2nd family" with us, Bob. Margaret and Olivia are indeed fortunate to have found such a wonderful home.

Re: "Lights of my life" from China #17850 03/16/00 10:49 AM
Randy Kremer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thanks for the wonderful story Bob! We take for granted how good we have it here in the USA! You and your wife are very special for what you have done. Keep up the good work!
GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY!!!!

Re: "Lights of my life" from China #17851 03/16/00 09:39 PM
A
AlanBeckman Offline
A
Thanks for sharing your story Bob. I think John C. should upgrade your status from wacko to saint. You're doing the Lord's work.

AB in Ala-Bama

Re: "Lights of my life" from China #17852 03/16/00 10:19 PM
N
NiagaraLady Offline
N
Dear Bob - THANK YOU for sharing such a beautiful and personal experience. It was a very touching story - enjoy every minute - they sure grow up fast!

Re: "Lights of my life" from China #17853 03/17/00 01:48 AM
RFoster Offline
Bob, Thanks for sharing such a wonderful adventure with all of us. Your love of family sure warms my heart and by taking the time to share it with us can only brighten the world.

Ron
(CT Keeper)

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Re: "Lights of my life" from China #17854 03/18/00 02:37 AM
Y
youngone Offline
Y
Bob,

I would also like to wish you and your extended family the very best in the future. I know that with parents such as you, these kids are in for a wonderful life. Being an instructional assistant, I see a great deal of adopted kids at school everyday, and it is a wonderful experience to see them when they are adopted. My wife and I have thought that it would be wonderful to do the same, but we haven't gotten up the nerve yet to do so. Your story is an inspiration to everyone. Best of Luck!

Re: "Lights of my life" from China #17855 03/19/00 11:54 PM
B
Barb Kepple Offline
B
Bob,

Thanks so much for sharing your touching story. You and your wife are two very special people, and your little girls deeply blessed to have you.

Barb

Barb
Re: "Lights of my life" from China #17856 03/21/00 09:28 PM
Marzipan Offline
Dear Bob,

Thank you so much for reminding us of the wonderful opportunities we have here in the United States. It was heartwarming to read of your journeys of love. I'm sure Margaret and Olivia are angels, but you and your wife are surely their true angels sent from heaven.

~Dale

~Dale Anne

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,229 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users