cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
More local collector's stores in peril? #17734 12/31/02 04:51 PM
Stainz Offline OP
OP Offline
One large local store had a first - a storewide discount on everything - even new H-L - and that was before Christmas! Today I found another store with an even more dire condition represented by an even greater storewide 'After Christmas Sale' discount - 50%. Sure, it was nice getting a 'club' piece at a bargain, but it also means this shop probably won't be getting future H-L shipments - the previously mentioned store is also doubtful for the future. Folks didn't spend what the retailers thought they would this season - apparently even in the collector's goodies.

What do we do? Support your local shop. It may be too late for me - only my gluttony may prevail as I return to pick up duplicates. Another blinking bi-valve fresnel - at half price - is hard to ignore. The 'gift' stores will survive - but they handle, at most, a few LL's. Will my sadness overshadow my gluttony?

I hope that everyone has a great New Year.

John

Re: More local collector's stores in peril? #17735 12/31/02 06:54 PM
CAVR Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I have ran across a few stores with significant sales here in Maine too....

Its too bad cause as you said, future introductions are doubtful

-Christopher
"CAVR"
Re: More local collector's stores in peril? #17736 12/31/02 09:25 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Store owners do what they have to do to survive in a down economy. Enjoy the bargains while you can but remember they too will disappear in time.

The secret to a successful upswing in Harbour Light demand is the addition of more collectors. The more people attracted to the line, the more demand for HLs.

When the demand returns, the prices will revert back to normal. The economy will not be so down forever.

smile Bob smile

Re: More local collector's stores in peril? #17737 01/01/03 12:55 AM
AZlightkeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Can anyone share the 411 on the info, there are a few pieces I would love to pick up a deal on! Thanks for the help. Jim

Jim
Re: More local collector's stores in peril? #17738 01/01/03 05:53 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
Quote:
The secret to a successful upswing in Harbour Light demand is the addition of more collectors. The more people attracted to the line, the more demand for HLs.
OK, thats a reasonable tautology. :-) I think it is true that if there are more people buying the models, it is safe to say demand is increasing.

If demand is down, then an interesting question is what attracted people to buy when the demand was greater? This topic is perhaps more appropriate to the FSB - click here to discuss it there.

T

Re: More local collector's stores in peril? #17739 01/03/03 12:52 PM
Randy Kremer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
We took a vacation to Gatlinburg, TN. last weekend and I looked up the stores that sell Harbour Lights on the HL website while we were there. Four stores were listed, with three selling only LLOM's. So, I set out to find them and see what they had to sell. The only one that sold limited editions had nothing new and were selling the few they had at 30% off retail. They were also discontinuing their Anchor Bays and they were at 50% off retail. Now, most stores on the strip were discounting because it was after Christmas. This particular store had new owners and they were trying to reduce inventory. OK, on to the next three. Two had none to sell and one had only a few older LLOM's to sell! This is one of the biggest tourist traps on the East Coast! In past years, there were three or four stores selling many of the Harbour Lights pieces, but not any more!

Is this the sign of the times?

Time will tell ..

Re: More local collector's stores in peril? #17740 01/04/03 11:10 AM
easya Offline
Of the 8 stores within a 35 mile radius of my home or work that used to sell HLs, only 1 remains. That is 7 stores gone within the past 5 years. - Joe

Re: More local collector's stores in peril? #17741 01/04/03 11:13 AM
Stainz Offline OP
OP Offline
Gatlinburg was my favorite vacation spot. Being a woodturner, I would often marvel at the local craftsmen's fare - and buy it. I remember all of the Euro goodies in the shops - the pewter, etc. Then came those neat little lighthouses - from Malaysia, no less. They soon started to come from, gads, China - the PRC! Then, the local craftsmen started fading away, unable to pay the higher frontage costs. Even some of the fast food had to leave due to the costs. Soon, all of the shops carried PRC-made goods - even Beanie Babies!

I was fortunate to be able to retire from teaching over seven years ago. I became a maker and sellor of handmade writing instruments, travelling the art show & arts & crafts show circuits around the SE for the next six years. I even sold my goods to some of my fellow show sellors - the very same craftsmen I had met around Gatlinburg. I sold pens 'en masse' to several crafts stores in and around Gatlinburg, the local sources of 'crafts' having all but dried up. Sadly, these stores soon faded. I even found my favorite bird-carver working the local info booth at the welcome center, her long time store closed due to increased rent. I got tired of losing money - quit my touring - and stayed home this year - it gave me more $ - I can buy lighthouses!

The death knell of that local artisan industry I always felt was the influx of PRC products. I wouldn't buy anything made in the PRC pre-9-11. I have finally moderated that stance - in time to see the decline of the high-end collectables enabled by the PRC goods. Sad.

I guess the end result is simple - buy from these dealers - the 'deals' will soon fade - as will many of the retailers. We will all have to be on 'autoship' eventually! I should have bought those early lighthouses...

John

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (DANIEL, Rock), 1,340 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users