Next Thread
Print Thread
What the ? #17603 04/09/10 04:45 PM
CAVR Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
The day has come...... (April 8, 2010)

This is not the kind of "mischief" that I was hoping for from HLs. Here is what I have been notified of...

Quote:
"There will no longer be ANY Redemption dealers for the Harbour Lights Collector's Society. It has now been taken way from dealers, and sales of the "exclusive" Society Piece can only be done through Harbour Lights."
I am not sure how I am feeling now. A little "miffed", and a lot irritated right now about the decisions that are being made at Harbour Lights right now. So I guess ALL Society pieces are now being handled directly by HLs. What troubles me is not the fact that I have to order my society pieces directly from HLs (not a big deal), but the "rippling" effect this may begin to make to the few existing HL dealers out there, as I feel it is only a matter of time that all Harbour Light lighthouses will ONLY be available directly through HLs.

I have seen NO "Official" notice come from HLs, whether mailed, posted on their website, and/or a post from Tony C. on these forums regarding this issue.

Note: I would like to make it very clear, that these comments are my own opinions and are not of or reflect those of the Dealer as to which the announcement came from.

So what do you think?

-Christopher
"CAVR"
Re: What the ? #17604 04/09/10 05:54 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
I have no feeling either way. Whether they ship from HLs to the dealer to me or from HL directly to me does not really matter. Up until 3 years ago I renewed through HLs. Now my dealer does it for me so I have renewed both ways. Sorry, I will go with the flow.

Rich
Re: What the ? #17605 04/09/10 06:00 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
There is a lot more to the announcement than just what Chris quotes. I am sure the official announcement will be made public soon..

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: What the ? #17606 04/09/10 06:46 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I prefer going though my local dealer. Also gives me a reason to visit his store(like I need one).

I thought HL wanted us to visit our local dealers more???

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: What the ? #17607 04/09/10 07:02 PM
D
Don Hamburg Offline
D
I was inform about the renewal process from my dealer about 2 weeks ago. Neither myself nor my dealer is happy about the decision. I agree with Chris in what rippling effect this may have on HL dealers. Could this decision be because some many HL dealers shops closeup? Maybe Lighthouse Depot will handle everything.

Re: What the ? #17608 04/09/10 07:11 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
A few thoughts:

Many Collectors Societies have shut down. Disney, for one. I believe of those surviving to this date, HL is the ONLY one that was involving dealers to deliver the exclusive.

I imagine that from a dealer's perspective, it's another 'take away'.

From HL's perspective, it's helping them stay afloat a while longer.

The "Redemption Dealers" were a small percentage of the total HL dealer count. Many returned their redemption pieces to HL when they weren't picked up by the ordering individual member.
The CS exclusive hasn't been a big seller of late.

Re: What the ? #17609 04/10/10 05:34 AM
L
lgthouselady Offline
Wacko
Wacko
L
I like going through my dealer. They're my friends. Actually, Harbour Lights gave me their contact information as we were preparing to move from Seattle area to Phoenix 6 years ago. In the process of painting, putting new rugs in, etc. I had some of my lighthouses sitting on the kitchen countertop when a cupboard door that was being put up fell and hit several lighthouses. That was a pretty awful day. Somehow I called Harbour Lights and they gave me the names of some dealers they thought could help me. The person I called and received help from went way above the call of duty and I have managed to get the damaged ones replaced. So to this day, even though they are on the East Coast, I do everything through them and we have been to visit them. So possible changes involving dealers going away from Harbour Lights is very sad indeed.

Re: What the ? #17610 04/10/10 11:46 PM
The Cape Cod Store.com Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
As a redemption dealer, I'm quite miffed about this latest turn of events. I've worked hard on promoting the Collectors Society and it was beginning to pay off as a number of collectors were redeeming their West Chops through us this year. We have built a trust with our collectors and have not only helped to satisfy their needs, but also have done a LOT to promote the Harbour Lights brand! It seems the more we promote HL's, the more that is done by the company to bite us in the @$$!!! I have said it before and it seems more and more likely all the time, HL's will soon be available to collectors ONLY through LD. "Full speed ahead and damn the torpedos!!"

Roland Babineau
The only true Harbour Lights dealer left in the world and the ONLY retailer in the world authorized to sell Harry Hine's lighthouse collectible line!
http://www.thecapecodstore.com/harbor_lights.html
Re: What the ? #17611 04/11/10 05:31 PM
LADYBUG Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Roland,
Well put -- as original collector's of HLs and owners of the entire limited edition collection, we are very unhappy with the way things are going and now it seems like dealers are getting the shaft -- we liked the personal interactions with a local dealer and they became friends over the course of time. Without a local dealer and if we have to go only through LD, I know we won't be collecting like we use to. HL no longer feels like family and that is a shame.
Darlene

Re: What the ? #17612 04/11/10 05:38 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Not Good!

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: What the ? #17613 04/11/10 06:31 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:

Many Collectors Societies have shut down. Disney, for one. I believe of those surviving to this date, HL is the ONLY one that was involving dealers to deliver the exclusive.
I suspect that it beats the alternative..

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: What the ? #17614 04/11/10 07:28 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Let me amend my comments above. I wasn't defending the decision to take dealers out of the Society Exclusives, just trying to put it into perspective.

I certainly know that the major retailers (outside of LHD) are NOT happy with this decision -- and with good reason.

Each of these dealers has spent time and effort to cultivate individual collectors who look to them for the dealer's expertise, advice and great customer service.

Re: What the ? #17615 04/12/10 01:27 PM
Tony C Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Good Monday Morning!

Why the change?

First, the number of Redemption Dealers has dropped dramatically, since 2006.
Secondly, many collectors expressed frustration in the inability to find a Redemption Dealer. Very noticably, in 2009, even some Redemption Dealers were not willing to accept redemptions without pre-payment from Collectors.
Third, it has been an industry trend, to take various Collectors' Societies "in house" to preserve the society. As John pointed out in his posting and Paul quoted, several key Collectors' Societies have been closed. In fact, I am following up a rumor that the very first Collectors' Society may announce soon it will be closing!

Harbour Lights is committed to the Collectors' Society! Watch your eMail for a "Special Edition" of The Lighthouse Legacy comming in about two weeks! I trust you will all be pleased!

Call me 800.365.1219 with concerns or write me @ tconstantino@harbourlights.com.

AJC

Re: What the ? #17616 04/12/10 01:54 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
smile Thanks for the update Tony !!!

I'd be more pleased if I didn't have to wait another two weeks. I thought it was posted that the news would be announced this week??? tired

Stan M
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: What the ? #17617 04/12/10 02:00 PM
Tony C Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Good Monday AM!

I apologize for the delay, however, there were two jobs ahead of me at the Creative Managers desk!

When you see what we have for 2010-11 I know you will be pleased!

AJC

Re: What the ? #17618 04/13/10 07:22 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Loon -- when you think of Tony these days, think of the duck. Calm on the surface, paddling like HELL below the waterline!

Re: What the ? #17619 04/13/10 11:15 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
John, I can relate.... been trying to stay a float for awhile. eek

cheers

Stan M
Re: What the ? #17620 04/14/10 07:22 PM
CAVR Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Besides Arizona, there aren't lighthouses in deserts right? I would think that the desert would seems like a desolate place. What about mountains....

OK, that's enough out of me. Sorry, a rock must have hit me on the head. Perhaps I am in the wrong thread. (HA HA)

-Christopher
"CAVR"
Re: What the ? #17621 04/15/10 12:38 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by CAVR:
Besides Arizona, there aren't lighthouses in deserts right? I would think that the desert would seems like a desolate place. What about mountains....

OK, that's enough out of me. Sorry, a rock must have hit me on the head. Perhaps I am in the wrong thread. (HA HA)
?????? confused ??????

Stan M
Re: What the ? #17622 04/20/10 11:58 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by Tony C:
Watch your eMail for a "Special Edition" of The Lighthouse Legacy comming in about two weeks! I trust you will all be pleased!
AJC
Anticipation...Anticipation...Is making me wait...

Only a few more days....hopefully! :rolleyes:

Stan M
Re: What the ? #17623 04/26/10 11:40 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Should be any day now ......

Stan M

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (DANIEL, Rock), 1,669 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users