Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New Collector Question #17475 02/26/01 11:58 AM
N
Neel Offline OP
OP Offline
N
As new collectors of HL lighthouses we have a couple of questions for other collectors. Yesterday we purchased several lighthouses. One was a 1991 Grosse Point, IL lighthouse. Here are the questions. 1) The lighthouse is signed B. Younger 00 on the base. Does this increase the value? 2) There is a small chip on the lighthouse. Does this significantly decrease its value to collectors? We appreciate your comments. Neel and Fatima

Re: New Collector Question #17476 02/26/01 06:01 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The signature and Also low flag #'s are important to some and therefore might increase the market value. As to damage it would also depend on the buyer as to their concern (Also the amount of damage would be important). In my own collection (which I would never sell) I have found smal damages either pre-existing from the dealer, or possibily done when moving my displays. I sometime rearrange mine and revisit each to enjoy them. Evan with special care sometimes two will meet slightly. (With over 200--I don't count them anymore becasue my wife asks me "How many do you have now!!!" and I can honestly say I don't know.)
Back to your question "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder" and to me a slight chip doesn't spoil my enjoyment but to some collectors it would mean a lot.

Re: New Collector Question #17477 02/27/01 02:26 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
Punkin is right - it depends on the buyer and what they value.

There are some exceptions based on when the piece was released and when it was signed, but for the most part signatures have little effect on the value of a piece. For example, as a signed piece, a Grosse Point with a BY signature from 2000 might not be as desired as one with a BY signature from 1992 when the model first came out. A piece with multiple signatures from the Younger family done all at the same time might be seen as more valuable.

Some collectors prefer their pieces signed - some want them exactly as they came from the factory. Personally I will not pay more for BY's signature cuz if you want it, its pretty easy to get. :-)

Small chips are common but do have a negative effect on value, as most wacko collectors prefer a pristine piece. The effect is relative to the value of the piece without the chip. In other words, a Cape Hatteras with a small chip will still be worth more than a Barnegat with a small chip. Also depends on where the chip is and how much it detracts from the appearance. A transaction involving a piece should well disclose any chips or other damage.

Chip damage is different from some of the odd paint effects we've seen. For example, Old Point Loma is somewhat notorious for having less than sufficient paint on its roof. This is not caused by damage, but by the aging of lousy paint, or it came that way. This still detracts from the value of the piece, but not to the same extent as actual damage.

Welcome aboard, Neel & Fatima! This place is a tremendous resource for learning about your hobby. We'd like to see you as regular visitors to the Forums - ask all the questions you like, we're a friendly bunch and will always try to help. :-)

Rgds,
__
/im
[This message has been edited by JTimothyA (edited 02-26-2001).]

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Dave H, Rock), 1,505 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users