Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Quakegrip #17038 12/04/02 03:59 AM
C
CornellNauset1 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
This is just sort of a general question to hear some opinions on the subject; How many people would let some torn felt, due to quakegrip, deter them from buying a piece? Also, how much less would you estimate a piece to be worth that had quakegrip used on it?

For example, on a piece like this SE Block that just ended: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=742535237

Thanks.

Re: Quakegrip #17039 12/04/02 09:51 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
That was a steal at that price. So what if it was missing two small pieces of felt. I never pick up my pieces and admire the felt.

It all comes down to buy what you like. Some folks won't buy a piece without the original box. I've yet to display a box at my house.

Some people will only buy low number pieces. Granted having a low number gives the owner a warm and fuzzy feeling but I never had a guest remark about my low flag numbers.

Some people will not buy a piece with any type of defect (microchip, small chip, paint fade, or unnoticeable repair). Yet only the owner knows that it's there because no one else ever looks that close.

HL Collectors can be really fussy about their collection. Most everyone of them wants every piece to be absolutely perfect with all the original paperwork and box. They want to feel that their collection would bring top-dollar if sold. Then they never sell them.

My advice to all new collectors is to buy whatever you can afford at the cheapest possible prices even if they have a minor flaw or don't have the original box. When you get your new HL's home, put them on display and enjoy them. If you walk into a closeout sale somewhere, buy, buy, buy! Although these pieces may never turn into high priced items in the future, they can always be used to trade with other collectors for pieces you may need in your collection.

smile Bob smile

Re: Quakegrip #17040 12/04/02 12:15 PM
silverfox51 Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Mr. Bob, that is real sound advice laugh . The joy is in the collection, looking at it, the showing to others, and just plain enjoyment of having it. If one want to have an "investment" better find something else, may the stock market. Have good day folks and ENJOY the hobby, don't work at it.

Re: Quakegrip #17041 12/04/02 12:23 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
The joy is in the collection and just plain enjoyment of having it.
I believe the above abbreviated quote, says it all!

Bert wink

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Quakegrip #17042 12/04/02 05:12 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
I bid $150 for this one 14 hours before it ended. This was more than a great deal! (Sorry Kristin you almost had a great gift.)

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Quakegrip #17043 12/04/02 09:12 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. When Portland Head Light was selling on the secondary market for over $500.00 a few years back, I was fortunate and lucky enough to buy a Portland Head from a well known lighthouse dealer in North Carolina for $150.00. It had a smallllll chip out of the corner of the roof eave that was almost undetectable unless you knew it was there. I bought it that way and guess what? Only myself, my wife and the dealer that sold it to me knows. That's even better then your hairdresser knowing because I'm never going to tell and either is my wife. The dealer is now out of business and won't tell so who's to know.

Bob had some very good points in that if you are satisfied and no one else can tell then buy what you like at the best deal that you can get.

Rich cool

Rich
Re: Quakegrip #17044 12/05/02 05:38 PM
cclighthousebuff Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I purchased the Southern Belle Series from a California seller with quakegrip on every piece. The average cost of each piece to me was $95.00 per piece two years ago. I never hesitated to make the purchase. I neverlook at the felt bases ....and I even think I made a good deal!! It's all in the design and the manufacture!!

Re: Quakegrip #17045 12/09/02 09:17 PM
hcorey Offline
I agree that if small pieces of the felt are missing or torn it is not important. However, if the the sticker or Younger's signature is messed up then I would have a problem buying the lighthouse. Shown below is the area I would not want damaged. I do turn this piece over to show these items.

Re: Quakegrip #17046 12/11/02 12:33 PM
lhlover Offline
No, I would not have purchased this item. I place my Harbour Lights on glass shelves above eye level - everyone would be able to see the tears in the felt if I had a piece like that. I usually try to purchase the Harbour Light with the orignial box and paperwork also, but won't turn down a good deal if the deal arises without the box and paperwork. laugh I've purchased before an Anchor Bay Boat without the original box or display case. I mean, would you turn down an Anchor Bay Boat without extra items if it only cost $16.00??? (That included shipping also!) :p I couldn't, so I have the boat in my Curio Cabinet displayed proudly! laugh

I don't ever plan on selling my Harbour Lights, but no one knows what the future holds - I may have to in the distant future and the buyer may want original boxes and paperwork. You just never know. Of course my attic is quickly filling up with boxes of. . . boxes. :p

BonnieJean
bjexum@floridalighthouses.org
Visit: www.floridalighthouses.org
Re: Quakegrip #17047 12/11/02 12:36 PM
lhlover Offline
By the way Rich, I bet your seller and your wife kept your secret longer than you did! laugh We all know now about your little cracked pot. . . I mean chipped HL. LOL :p

BonnieJean
bjexum@floridalighthouses.org
Visit: www.floridalighthouses.org

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,213 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users