Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Great Group #1693 08/27/06 10:00 AM
Cyndi Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
I came across this web-site by pure accident when I was looking up sites on Harbour Lights. I have never participated in a forum before and I am still trying to find my way around this one. But it is great to find a group of people who love lighthouses and collect Harbour Lights. Everyone here knows that I love lighthouses and they give me something lighthouse related for my birthday, Christmas, ect., but no one shares my interest. I would like some ideas as to how all of you display your HLs. My husband Bought me a curio a couple of years ago for Christmas and it was filled up on Christmas day. I went out and bought another one and it is filled up now. I have lighthouses every where, and so many more I want to get. I started out with Maine, California, and Florida and have added from there. I would like to get more involved in the restoration of lighthouses. I have been a member of The Friends of Wood Island for two years and thanks to Eric sending me info on Cape St. George I have joined there too. Those are two lighthouses that have touched my soul, but there are so many others that need our help. But where do you start.

Cyndi

Cyndi
Re: Great Group #1694 08/27/06 02:54 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Cyndi - I started out with 1 corner curio back in 1995 and now have 7 floor curios and 3 wall curios. Once you get going it never stops. To each of my floor curios I have added 2 additional shelves so instead of the 5 or 6 original shelves I have either 7 or 8 shelves in each cabinet. Most of the cabinets are built with additional peg holes or you can drill the peg holes(1/4" diameter holes) you need. You can buy the extra brackets at Home Depot or Lowes and the glass shelves from a glass/window distributer. The average for each glass shelf, depending on size, is $12-$18 and the brackets are about $3 for 12 brackets. This allows you to display 5-6 additional lighthouses on each shelf you add. If you need additonal info contact me.

I display my lighthouses by areas(Northeast, Southeast, Gulf, Great Lakes, West Coast, Foreign, Society and Christmas) in separate curios. It makes it a lot easier if your looking for one particular piece. I keep all the tent cards and certificates in 3 ring binders separated by areas also.

Rich
Re: Great Group #1695 08/27/06 03:54 PM
kikigl Offline
Congratulations Cyndi,

It seems that you have been bitten by the same bug that the rest of us have! It's like an obsession that just keeps getting worse! (Oh, but it's so much fun!) The more lighthouses you see the more you want to see!

Kay
Re: Great Group #1696 08/27/06 05:31 PM
regalhobo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Cyndi, I collect mostly LLOM and only started a couple years ago collecting them. I do have a dozen and 1/2 or so LE's which are prety much special to me as I have won them or bought them on a special trip. I put them anyplace there is room. But I'll be changing that as I'm changing a couple of rooms around and will have most of them on shelves. I have been trying to get all the lights I've been to but I do get sidetracked and get other ones that I like before my goal is reached.

If your interested in any New England lights or helping any of them, (time for a commercial laugh ), you can join NELL, New England Lighthouse Lovers. We're always looking for new members and you can go to our web site www.nell.cc to check things out. We meet twice a year (spring and fall) and in Jan. we have Lighthouses Hot Chocolate and You where we go to several lights in January regardless of weather, climb what we can get opened and then do a little fund raising and raffles and have some hot chocolate and brownies, cookies etc. This year it looks like it'll be on Cape Cod (not definate yet)and for 2 days if the weather is good. You must be a member for this.

smile cool

regalhobo
Tom K

:) :cool:
Re: Great Group #1697 08/27/06 06:12 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Cyndi,
You asked where to start to get involved with restoration. You've already got an excellent start. If you wish to be actively (hands on) involved, my suggestion is to concentrate your efforts on a light that is fairly easy for you to reach distance wise from home. However, there are many ways to actively help from your computer w/o being physically nearby. Then you can also spread out and become a member of other lighthouse groups and begin to contribute in smaller ways as you become familiar with the group.

I'll agree with the regalhobo, Tom K., and invite you to become a member of NELL.

As you can see by my location (VA), you don't have to live in New England to be a member.
The fall meeting is in CT and all the wonderful details are on the website. The meeting coincides with the re-lighting of Avery Point. But you need to register before Sept.13th.
NELL

Come on and join us!

Judy smile

P.S.
Did you receive my email?

Judy
Re: Great Group #1698 08/27/06 06:53 PM
beachcomber Offline
Cyndi, another bonus of being an active member here is that you will learn about trips in which many of us participate - they end up being Wacko Reunions, to a certain extent. Not all the Wacko's go and not all the people on the trips are members of the CFs. It is a good way to meet lighthouse people who are actively involved.

As Judy said, we can't always make a hands-on contribution - some of us are very far from lighthouses which need volunteers. So, we make small donations of money, purchase products, participate in raffles, etc., of the various clubs - and try to provide moral support! NELL, GLLKA (Great Lakes Lightkeepers Association), USLS (US Lighthouse Society), ALF (American Lighthouse Association), the Hoosiers Lighthousing Club, and so many others will appreciate your membership. smile

beachcomber
Re: Great Group #1699 08/27/06 08:02 PM
Cyndi Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
I just joined NELL. Isn't the internet wonderful. You don't even have to leave home. I love New England, I fell in love on the first trip to Maine in 2003 and have been trying to get back ever since. We are planning on making an other trip to Maine, I hope next year. I will try to plan it so I can come to a meeting too. Wood Island in Maine is special to me because of our close friend taking us out on his boat to see it. Right now I am trying to work it out to go to Cape St. George in Nov. I know money helps but I also want to get my hands dirty too.
Judy, I did get your e-mail. Thanks.

Cyndi

Cyndi
Re: Great Group #1700 08/27/06 08:56 PM
HCS Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Cyndi
Welcome to NELL, it is a wonderful group of people who all love lighthouses. We hope you will be able to join us for some of our adventures. We manage to have a lot of fun and raise money for presevation in the process.
HCS

Re: Great Group #1701 08/27/06 09:11 PM
Bill and Judy Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Cyndi,

As you are finding out, there are lighthouse groups all over the country as well as the world. Half the fun is meeting other lighthouse enthusiasts and taking the many trips that you'll discover at various times throughout the year.

Even we landlocked lighthouse lovers meet quarterly in Colorado! Of course many of us are members of other groups as well. We wish we could be near a light for the hands on portion but we usually have to settle for some fundraising activities to support a lighthouse from afar each year.

Judy

Re: Great Group #1702 08/27/06 10:44 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Cyndi,

Welcome to NELL! This is a really wonderful group of people...you'll make many good friends. Hope you get to participate in some of the activities before long. Watch the NELL website for new things and explore the photo archives there when you get a chance. I can guarantee you, every event is an adventure.

Hope to meet you soon. smile

Judy

Judy
Re: Great Group #1703 08/28/06 01:41 PM
regalhobo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Congratulations Cyndi on becoming a NELL member. I see in your post that you are planning to come up our way next year and hope to attend a meeting. Just so you know I am working on setting up our spring cruise now (which we usually have along with the spring meeting weekend) and it looks like it will be in early June I can't say anymore at this time but I hope this helps in your planning. I am looking forward to meeting you and should you have any questions please feel free to email me.

smile cool

regalhobo
Tom K

:) :cool:

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 872 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users