Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
What is your favorite lighthouse you visited? Why? #16717 11/12/99 01:33 PM
K
Karen Smith Offline OP
OP Offline
K
For those who have traveled and/or are fortunate to live by lighthouses!
What lighthouse only (1) would you go back to again! and again! and again! Why?

Re: What is your favorite lighthouse you visited? Why? #16718 11/12/99 02:15 PM
Rock Online
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
As a native Oregonian now living in the SF Bay Area, I am physically closest to Alcatraz light and love the views from Fisherman's Wharf but going out there ruins the effect because there are too many tourists packing the ferries and crawling all over the island...

However, I am spiritually closest to my Oregon lights, especially Tillamook Rock and dream of actually being able to step foot on it someday (while still alive!)...I also like visiting Cape Meares again and again because of its charm...short stubby tower, huge beautiful lantern room/lens, spectacular scenery, and great gift shop!

Sorry, Karen, I know you said only one but....!!!

[This message has been edited by Rock (edited 11-12-99).]

Re: What is your favorite lighthouse you visited? Why? #16719 11/12/99 02:19 PM
JohnL Offline
Wacko
Wacko
That's a tough one. I would say Montauk Point because of its majestic scenery and history. Nothing beats watching the sun come up their, then going to play 18 holes at Montauk Downs CC

Wave after wave will flow in the tide and bury the world as it does.
Re: What is your favorite lighthouse you visited? Why? #16720 11/12/99 03:54 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Portland Head. If you have ever been there on a foggy or stormy day,(or even on a nice day) you will know why.

"TheLightkeeper"

Re: What is your favorite lighthouse you visited? Why? #16721 11/12/99 05:52 PM
RezmanDale Offline
That is a tough one. Point Reyes because of its location, Point Fermin because of the sure beauty of the structure, and Ponce Inlet because of the great job of restoration of all the buildings and the lens collection it's completeness.

I know that's three but I could list many more for various reasons.

Dale

Re: What is your favorite lighthouse you visited? Why? #16722 11/12/99 06:18 PM
K
Karen Smith Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Rock,
Did you ever hit home! I was born and raised in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Yes, I took the Red and White Fleet over to Alcartaz Island, to tour the Prison but never considered looking up to see the Lighthouse!
But, it took moving out of California to Arizona, then accidently seeing a Harbour Lights Display during the Christmas Holiday to open my eyes!
Sometimes our eye can be opened and looking right at something and never see it!
Hopefully, others will listen and may gain by my loss!
Karen

Re: What is your favorite lighthouse you visited? Why? #16723 11/12/99 07:07 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I couldn't decide on one favorite. But these are the ones tied for first place: Nauset, Portland Head, Cape Neddick, Fire Island, Montauk, and Southeast Light Block Island. Why? Because I just like them all.

Bob

Re: What is your favorite lighthouse you visited? Why? #16724 11/12/99 07:08 PM
RRohweder Offline
Fort Gratiot Light, Port Huron, MI. I lived next to the light a quarter of a century ago, and while I was there, it also saved my life. For fear of redundancy, I won't retell the story.

By the way, I'm a Wolverine/Buckeye transplanted to the Redwood Coast of CA.

Rich

------------------

Re: What is your favorite lighthouse you visited? Why? #16725 11/13/99 01:45 AM
D
D'Wanda Offline
D
I'm sure everyone knows my answer...Burrow's Island, of course. But, Cape Arago is right up there, also.

Grammy
Re: What is your favorite lighthouse you visited? Why? #16726 11/13/99 04:14 PM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
In Nov. 1997, I was able to attend the 125th anniversary of Pigeon Point, CA. I was so impressed climbing the tower to still see the 1st order Fresnel lens in place. What a beautiful sight! I don't have one favorite but Pigeon Point will always be a favorite because of the lens.

Re: What is your favorite lighthouse you visited? Why? #16727 11/13/99 09:00 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
This is a tough one- I'd have to say Portland Head. It was my first lighthouse that i visited, to my recolection. I just like the beauty of the LH and the area around it. A close second is Rose Island, RI. I like this for it's design, but just as much for the way it looked before they restored it. It was a remarkable job that those people did. Dennis

Re: What is your favorite lighthouse you visited? Why? #16728 11/14/99 12:43 AM
D
ddaniels Offline
Wacko
Wacko
D
Although I've visited most of the Great Lakes and Southeast coast lights, I'd have to say my favorite is Split Rock. It's remoteness, precarious location, and design hold a unique fascination.

[This message has been edited by ddaniels (edited 11-13-99).]

Re: What is your favorite lighthouse you visited? Why? #16729 11/14/99 01:21 AM
C
cyberkeeper Offline
C
I would have to say Southeast Block Island, the day we went could'nt have been better wheather, a nice ferry ride, and a wonderful light to visit.

Re: What is your favorite lighthouse you visited? Why? #16730 11/14/99 05:22 PM
B
Barb Kepple Offline
B
I would have a tie between Rose Island, Southeast Light, Block Island, and Portland Head.

Rich - I don't remember seeing your story about your life being saved by the Fort Gratiot Light - would you mind sharing that again? Thanks!

Barb

Barb
Re: What is your favorite lighthouse you visited? Why? #16731 11/15/99 12:06 AM
RRohweder Offline
The really abbreviated version Barb.

I was stationed at Port Huron with the CG in Nov 71. A really bad storm was blowing and we got a call that someone was in the water about 4 miles North of our station in Lake Huron. Our other boats were already tied up, so an engineer and I took a 17' utility boat to go have a look. We found no one, and as we were leaving the area to get back into the protection of the St. Clair River, we were lifted by a huge wave. I determined that it was about a 22 foot wave since we hammered the bottom where our chart said there was 11-12 feet of water.

Anyway our compass was ripped off the dash and the wind, waves and spray made it impossible to tell exactly where we were going. We rode the back of waves back toward the South until we could see part of the horizon lighting up ever so slightly every few seconds. We continued to follow that light until we safely reached the river. You got it, Fort Gratiot Light. I lived in the quarters right under the light in those days, and ahve had nothing but the utmost respect for lighthouses, especially that one, ever since. The longer version I related on November 1, 98.

Hope that answers you adequately Barb

Rich

------------------

[This message has been edited by RRohweder (edited 03-22-2000).]

Re: What is your favorite lighthouse you visited? Why? #16732 11/15/99 12:40 AM
J
Jazzer Offline
J
Without a doubt Old Point Comfort Light on Fort Monroe Hampton,Va. The history of this Light and the surrounding fort says it all for me. Old Point Comfort light will be 200 yrs old in 2002. Trying to put together a celebration . Want to help ? please E-Mail.

Thanks
Lonnie

Lonnie
Re: What is your favorite lighthouse you visited? Why? #16733 11/22/99 10:38 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am trying to catch up with my posts.

Being a "Tar Heel, Born and Bred", I thought my favorite had to be one of the NC lights. That was before I traveled to the coast of Oregon. Heceta Head will probably be the light I return to every summer. The location is spectacular and staying in the lighthouse keeper's quarters puts the icing on the cake.

Derith

Re: What is your favorite lighthouse you visited? Why? #16734 11/22/99 11:24 PM
A
AlanBeckman Offline
A
They have all been great but St. Augustine has to be our favorite (so far). We toured the lighthouse late in the afternoon then stayed to watch the lighting of the beacon. There was a little mist in the air so the beam showed really well.

Like the HL reproductions, each of them has something special about it.

Alan & Diane

Re: What is your favorite lighthouse you visited? Why? #16735 11/23/99 04:05 PM
Kat Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Wow! This is a real toss up between Cape Henry, VA or Cape Hatteras, NC....have been to both and climbed up both. Each has unique and heart warming memories. But overall I would have to say Cape Hatteras...very majestic and inspiring.

Kat

KAT {=*+*=}
Re: What is your favorite lighthouse you visited? Why? #16736 11/23/99 10:41 PM
DeDo Offline
So many lighthouses, so many special memories! For pure nostaglia, the Cape Cod lights, Highland & Nauset because I visited them all my childhood & adult vacations.
But, the Hudson River lights because they are neighbors, Jeffrey's Hook and Tarrytown.
But the one that I would say is a favorite of the whole family is Fire Island. We visited it last April for the first time when my oldest son was home for Easter from college. There was something so dramatic the way the tower pops up in the distance as you drive towards it. Maybe because it is a tall tower which all my boys like. But certainly because our private tour with the volunteer
Tony really captured everyone's interest. It was a special trip that everyone really enjoyed. It isn't too hard to make me happy, any lighthouse excites me but this was a win-win for all four of us. A special New York light for a New York family!

Donna

Re: What is your favorite lighthouse you visited? Why? #16737 11/25/99 02:58 AM
Rusty Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Mine would have to be St. Augustine. It was the first one I ever visited. It is so majestic, and beautiful that it got me hooked into all of this. I have been back twice and will go back more. Wish I lived closer to it.

Rusty

Re: What is your favorite lighthouse you visited? Why? #16738 11/28/99 07:08 PM
1 Foghorn Offline
Ours would have to be Point Sur near Monterey, CA.

Foggy

[This message has been edited by 1 Foghorn (edited 11-28-99).]

[This message has been edited by 1 Foghorn (edited 11-28-99).]

FOGGY

Re: What is your favorite lighthouse you visited? Why? #16739 11/29/99 07:32 PM
L
LINDA Offline
L
I think mine would be Cape Florida, I haven't seen it since it has been redone, but there is a nice park there in a beautiful Florida setting.

Re: What is your favorite lighthouse you visited? Why? #16740 03/22/00 03:54 PM
J
Joanne Offline
J
Any new choices?

Joanne

Re: What is your favorite lighthouse you visited? Why? #16741 03/22/00 04:59 PM
Rock Online
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Always new choices...Southeast Light on Block Island is spectacular, so is Highland Light on Cape Cod...I like lights that sit up on bluffs/cliffs overlooking turbulent waters.

Re: What is your favorite lighthouse you visited? Why? #16742 03/23/00 01:32 AM
Y
youngone Offline
Y
I would have to say that, IMHO, that if you look up the word lighthouse in the dictionary, you would see the Cape Hatteras Light . It always brings back great memories of camping along the Outer Banks as a child with my family and the rich history of that area. Of course, Ocracoke ain't a bad spot either.

Re: What is your favorite lighthouse you visited? Why? #16743 03/26/00 03:45 PM
GerryBu Offline
My favorite lighthouse I have visited is Currituck followed closely by Sanibel Island. Also the Harbour Lights version of each of these is outstanding.

Re: What is your favorite lighthouse you visited? Why? #16744 03/27/00 10:08 AM
Brent Offline
As I said earlier in the year...it would have to be "Thomas Point". I've had the fortune of being in 2 "screwpiless" and I think they have such a unique, cozy, and well-detailed interior (as well as the exterior, for that matter). And even though you only ask for "one favorite"....I would also have to rate Old Point Comfort, Bodie Island, and Split Rock right up there....very close to the top. It really is difficult to name just one......

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member
Re: What is your favorite lighthouse you visited? Why? #16745 03/27/00 10:17 AM
Lighthousedude Offline
I have so many favorites here on Long Island it is very hard for me to chose. Also, if you were to ask me a month from now I am almost postive I would have a different one.

That being said my favorite lighthouse that I visit time after time is Old Field Point. I just love the setting, high on thr bluff overlooking Long Island Sound and Port Jefferson Harbor. And since I've become good friends with the constable and his wife as long as someone is home I can get in for a climb. The view is just great, on a clear day you can see Eatons Neck and the Middleground Light.

[This message has been edited by Mike Seewald (edited 03-27-2000).]

Re: What is your favorite lighthouse you visited? Why? #16746 03/27/00 04:11 PM
JohnL Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Montauk would still remain #1, but Beavertail, RI is a close second. It a nice setting to sit on the rocks and have a picnic while the waves crash below you. You also get a good view of the Castle Hill lighthouse in the distance.

Wave after wave will flow in the tide and bury the world as it does.
Re: What is your favorite lighthouse you visited? Why? #16747 04/07/00 09:29 PM
Randy Kremer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
My favorite is Split Rock. Having seen many lighthouses over the past ten years, I had no favorite(love them all!) until we visited this one 2 years ago! I will never forget how beautiful it looks sitting there on that cliff. The view from the lake is spectacular!
The wife wished they had an escalator going down to the water instead of all those steps!

Re: What is your favorite lighthouse you visited? Why? #16748 04/10/00 03:31 PM
Sunshine Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I'd have to say which ever lighthouse I'm visiting is my favorite. They are all unique and of great interest to me. I could never pick just one.

Re: What is your favorite lighthouse you visited? Why? #16749 04/24/00 06:20 PM
kikigl Offline
I have been reading the forums for a while and I'm ready to do this!
I am from Maine originally, and now I live in Florida.
When I'm in Maine my favorite Lighthouses are Cape Elizabeth, Marshall Point, and Rockland Breakwater! {I know you said ONE!!)
When I'm in Florida my favorite is Boca Grande! (And I'm so glad Harbour Lights is making it! I can't wait to see it! Kay

Kay
Re: What is your favorite lighthouse you visited? Why? #16750 04/24/00 10:31 PM
Brent Offline
....nice choices, Kay. Welcome to the forums!!

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member
Re: What is your favorite lighthouse you visited? Why? #16751 04/25/00 02:40 AM
W
WisKeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
W
Split Rock is spectacular and a favorite of mine. Closer to home, I have been to Wind Point, Eagle Bluff, Cana Island and Pottawatomie light numerous times and always enjoy going back to see them again and again and again. I even drove to Wind Point in a snow storm in the winter to see the lighthouse with Christmas spot-lights on the tower and a huge wreath decorating the house.

Suzanne Murphy
President, Wisconsin Lighthouse District (WILD)
Re: What is your favorite lighthouse you visited? Why? #16752 04/25/00 09:46 AM
Torchbearer Offline
With so many beautiful lights in this country, it's hard for me to pick just any one. If I were, then I guess my favorite would be Cape Neddick (Nubble) Light in York, Maine. It's island setting and rocky cliffs provides for a beautiful setting. Another gorgeous light is Heceta Head in Oregon with it's cliff setting.

Tim - Keeping the flame lit...

Re: What is your favorite lighthouse you visited? Why? #16753 04/28/00 06:40 AM
S
Schtuke Offline
S
You know Karen, I've personally seen dozens of lighthouses all over this land, and I'd have to say the single most beautiful light I've laid eyes on has to be Cape
San Blas Light in Apalachicola, Florida. It is unbelievable. It reminds me so much of...I guess more than anything else, it's much like New Point Loma, only...less...busy. That's it, less busy. It's so serene. If you ever get the chance, get over to the Cape San Blas Light.

Re: What is your favorite lighthouse you visited? Why? #16754 04/28/00 06:11 PM
W
WisKeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
W
Another great lighthouse is Seul Choix Pointe, Michigan. Seul Choix means "only choice" in French. It is on a lovely peninsula on Lake Michgan. The Gulliver Historical Society has done a wonderful job of restoration. I have never been in a cleaner, better painted tower. (I think they dust and wash it daily!) They also have created some wonderful historical displays. The fog signal buiding serves as a regional history museum. They recently made a video tape about Seul Choix Pointe Lighthouse and the local community from a historical point of view. I really like the music especially Carl Behrend's "Ballad of Seul Choix". I have always enjoyed revisiting Seul Choix Pointe lighthouse.
http://www.ais.org/~lsa/litmich.html#Seul_Choix_Lighthouse
http://www.GreatLakesLighthouses.com/4100ful.html

[This message has been edited by Suzanne Murphy (edited 04-28-2000).]

Suzanne Murphy
President, Wisconsin Lighthouse District (WILD)
Re: What is your favorite lighthouse you visited? Why? #16755 04/30/00 11:17 AM
T
TERRY BARFIELD Offline
T
BALD HEAD ISLAND,NO GAS OPERATED TRANSPORTATION IS ALLOWED.STILL HAS QUITE A FEW RESIDENTS.THE BEAUTY OF "OLD BALDY" WAS CAPTURED JUST RIGHT BY HARBOUR LIGHTS.WITH TONS OF TREES AND BEING SO WELL MAINTAINED.THAT DAY WE WERE THERE A RUMOR HAD SPREAD-BE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR A CURIOUS ALLIGATOR THAT WAS SPOTTED A FEW TIMES. I KIDDED WITH MY WIFE TO BE SURE TO KEEP HER FEET INSIDE THE GOLF CART WE HAD.IT WAS GREAT! LETS ALL GO NEXT WEEKEND! TERRY

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Dave H, Rock), 1,544 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users