Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Paul's New Cabinet.. (Truth in Advertising) #16352 11/03/98 02:00 AM
WackoPaul Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I guess I am the regular, since I just installed a new custom cabinet in our entry way. Here is a picture of the two sided display, well it actually has 4 sides John. You can see through the two main sides which means you can walk around the cabinet and see the other side of the lighthouses without having to handle them . It is 7 feet tall, 6 feet wide and 14 inches deep. There are sliding glass doors on the one side and solid glass on the other. The lighting is a combination of halogen and xenon lights, with three overhead lights and two strips going down opposite corners. It still is a little dark on the bottom shelf but much lighter than my other cabinets are on the bottom shelves. It makes for a great entry way into our house. It really helped having a brother-in-law, who is a master carpenter, when constructing a one of a kind item like our cabinet.

I closed the topic and started it over for a couple of reasons. First it was getting a little long but secondly and more important was to correct the spelling of the topic. Since I am addicted to the collection of Harbour Lights, contagious is a word I know first hand.

Part Two:

John's wish is my command (reference to note below). Below are several links that you can click to get bigger views of my new cabinet (can't tell I like it can you?). The first is a bigger version of the shot above. It is shot with a fill light kicked up into the ceiling so the grain of the Oak shows in the picture.

http://www.HarbourLights.com/brady/cabinet1.jpg

The number 2.jpg picture is shot from the entryway back through the cabinet towards the room.

http://www.HarbourLights.com/brady/cabinet2.jpg

The number 3.jpg picture is shot once again from the room through the cabinet towards the entryway, just the opposite of 2.jpg. The dark object you see on the right through the cabinet is our front door.

http://www.HarbourLights.com/brady/cabinet3.jpg

The number 4.jpg picture is shot looking through the end of the cabinet, showing the width and position between the door and the front window.

http://www.HarbourLights.com/brady/cabinet4.jpg

Last but not least, number 5.jpg picture is shot from the same location as the number 1.jpg except that the only lights on in the room are the ones in the cabinet.

http://www.HarbourLights.com/brady/cabinet5.jpg

My wife's brother-in-law Joe, my very favorite carpenter in the whole world} is starting on two more cabinets to complete the Brady "Great Room" makeover into "The Great Harbour Lights Room". Rod I will be sure to share a couple of pictures upon the arrival of the twins (reference to note below by Rod).
Paul L Brady

[This message has been edited by engbrady (edited 03-13-99).]

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Paul's New Cabinet.. (Truth in Advertising) #16353 11/03/98 09:39 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
How about uploading a larger size photo Paul and providing a LINK to it rather than using IMG in the body?

It's a great looking cabinet.

John

P.S. You are the regular, just didn't want to give it away without your permission.

Re: Paul's New Cabinet.. (Truth in Advertising) #16354 11/03/98 11:13 AM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Beautiful cabinet Paul. I am truly envious.

There are many different ways to display our Harbour Lights and I am sure we all have unique ways of filling our cabinets.

Another one of the regulars has a beautiful curio that is designed like a lantern room of a lighthouse. Another truly great idea.

-Todd [still trying to come up with something unique]

[This message has been edited by Todd Shorkey.]

Re: Paul's New Cabinet.. (Truth in Advertising) #16355 11/03/98 11:35 AM
R
Rod Watson Offline
Saint
Saint
R
Paul, you have reached an important step in the HLA program! That is the first time I have heard you say you were "addicted".

Welcome, Paul (your no longer "Indy-nile")

The cabinet is beautiful. I bet it feels like you just added a newly born child or pet to the family! Now that all of your pieces are signed (almost), I think you ought to be the first to have Bill sign your cabinet. maybe gold leaf foil signature on the end glass pane, or a custom etched signature panel? It's at least a thought, would be a one-of-a-kind!

Rod Watson
[This message has been edited by Rod Watson (edited 08-06-99).]

Re: Paul's New Cabinet.. (Truth in Advertising) #16356 11/03/98 01:12 PM
Art Offline
I can just see the face of the shop owner hosting the signing event when Paul brings *that* into the show room!

Great looking cabinet, Paul.

-Art

p.s. As Lamar did (below)I can add to my post after seeing the whole portfolio:

Great looking, and it doesn't have a bad side! I really do think you can sell these things.

[This message has been edited by Art.]

-Art
Re: Paul's New Cabinet.. (Truth in Advertising) #16357 11/03/98 02:18 PM
LamarB Offline
Beautiful cabinet Paul. We're having one custom made in our home, too but not nearly as elegant as yours. Thanks for sharing the picture with us.

After seeing the extra pictures I want to revise my comments - it's not a beautiful cabinet it's a gorgeous cabinet! Congratulations Paul.

Glad to hear you've discovered a basic tenet of HLA: that denial is not a river in Egypt.

Lamar

[This message has been edited by LamarB.]

Re: Paul's New Cabinet.. (Truth in Advertising) #16358 11/03/98 03:34 PM
Digger Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Sory abowt the speling.

Re: Paul's New Cabinet.. (Truth in Advertising) #16359 11/03/98 05:17 PM
WackoPaul Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
It's not a problem, in fact it gave me an excuse to have my pictures appear at the top of this thread. Have I mentioned that I love my new cabinet? Well, I Do !!!

Thanks,
Paul

Re: Paul's New Cabinet.. (Truth in Advertising) #16360 11/03/98 09:09 PM
RFoster Offline
I don't like the cabinet, Paul!!
I LOVE the cabinet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is your brother-in-law taking orders? This would have to include air fare, lodging, per diem, etc. (along with the cost of materials and the hourly wage). You're probably talking a "couple Coquilles" worth before you're finished.

Great display, and I like the fact that the doors are on the side away from the front entry (and they appear to be locked - good move). Thanks for sharing the pictures with us Paul.

Ron

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Re: Paul's New Cabinet.. (Truth in Advertising) #16361 11/03/98 09:36 PM
Stan Offline
Paul, the display cabinet is a stunning piece of work. "Well done" to your cabinetmaker. A couple of structural questions: What's the thickness of the glass shelves? Are they supported at the ends only, or are they supported along the length of the shelf as well? I'm curious as to how much weight glass shelves can support. I'm using 3/8 inch glass shelves and I'm uncertain how many HL's I can put on them before catastrophic failure occurs. Also, is there any concern over your illumination system causing paint fade? Halogen bulbs are pretty intense heat sources, aren't they?
Again, it's a great looking display cabinet.

Re: Paul's New Cabinet.. (Truth in Advertising) #16362 11/03/98 10:37 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Hmmm.

The "Joe & Paul Cabinet Works"

Has possibilities, Paul. You take the orders, keep Joe building & delivering.

Bob Villa ["This Old Cabinet"]

Re: Paul's New Cabinet.. (Truth in Advertising) #16363 11/03/98 10:47 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
After re-reading this thread [and with a bit of envy] I figured I'd exercise my control as Administrator and rename it for what it REALLY is.

Re: Paul's New Cabinet.. (Truth in Advertising) #16364 11/03/98 11:09 PM
P
Polly Offline
P
Exquisite piece of work Paul!!

We thought about something along the same line. We want to add a loft with a 3-ft. "curio wall" overlooking our living room. That way the lighthouses could be viewed from the lower living room or upper loft. We may have to use your cabinet as a model.

Thanks for sharing!

Re: Paul's New Cabinet.. (Truth in Advertising) #16365 11/04/98 08:09 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Congrats Paul,
Your cabinet is a work of art.
It will be tough for anyone to top!
But look out Paul, I wouldn't tell ROD where you live.
Bob

[This message has been edited by rscroope.]

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Paul's New Cabinet.. (Truth in Advertising) #16366 11/04/98 05:51 PM
B
Bob St Clair Offline
B
Paul great cabinet. You have every reason to be proud.

If your brother in law wants to come to a warmer climate for the winter, he can come to Louisiana and have a few collectors here who would love to have a cabinet like this.

Again my hats off to your brother in law, a man with a real talent.

Bob

Bob
Re: Paul's New Cabinet.. (Truth in Advertising) #16367 11/05/98 08:12 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Paul,
I keep getting drawn back to looking at the pictures of your cabinet.
You really could go into business, although shipping all that glass go be a chore.
Care to share layout dimensions?
I look foward to seeing pictures of the twins
when they arrive.
Envious Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Paul's New Cabinet.. (Truth in Advertising) #16368 11/13/98 08:35 PM
L
ladylightkeeper Offline
L
That is surely the most beautiful display case I have ever seen, be it for Harbour Lights or some other precious collectible that deserves a high class and high visibiliy-oriented method for display. Now of course, all lady collectors, and even lady spouses of you male collectors will really love this case -- no dusting needs to be done. But what about fingerprints?!! I have read the other posted replies and seems there are many out there who would love to have one like it. What about selling the plans for it to anyone who wants to try it themselves or hire someone to make it --- and put the proceeds into a special lighthouse preservation fund of Paul's choosing?

------------------

ladylightkeeper
Re: Paul's New Cabinet.. (Truth in Advertising) #16369 11/13/98 08:39 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
What makes the shipping of such a case difficult is the glass -- but the glass could be specified by dimension and purchased and delivered locally.

Shipment of the glassless cabinet -- perhaps even in a knockdown form wouldn't be outrageous.

Bob Villa [The plans idea is good too, but not for us un-handymen.]

Re: Paul's New Cabinet.. (Truth in Advertising) #16370 11/17/98 11:48 PM
Kat Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Your cabinet is quite literally breathtaking! I believe your use of lighting makes quite a difference in showing off your HL collection. What type of wood was used? Hey, I'm going to be visiting my daughters in Indy around the holidays can I stop in for a peak ;-)...hey, just kidding...don't want to put you on the spot!! Anyway...very impressive display!!

KAT {=*+*=}
Re: Paul's New Cabinet.. (Truth in Advertising) #16371 03/13/99 02:19 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Sorry the photos that originally were part of this thread were deleted. Perhaps Paul Brady can load them up again and revise the links.

John

Nevermind Paul. I uploaded them from my computer again! Still VERY impressive. Any word on whether your shirtail relative will take orders?

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 03-17-99).]

Re: Paul's New Cabinet.. (Truth in Advertising) #16372 04/12/99 01:59 PM
A
Al and Kathy Offline
A
Love your cabinet! Do your glass shelves have any extra support or is the glass heavier than average for a curio? We have a wide curio and had to be very careful how much we put on the shelves. Some of the newer HLs are heavy. We have run out of room in our curios once again - in fact, today is the day to dust, clean glass, and revamp to see if more can be added without overcrowding our curios. We're thinking about adding an HL room period.

Re: Paul's New Cabinet.. (Truth in Advertising) #16373 04/12/99 06:43 PM
S
sidd Offline
S
Paul, that cabinet is incredible. Hats off to you and your favorite brother-in-law. (If he ever becomes an unfavorite brother-in-law, send him my way-I'll adopt him.

------------------
Sidd

[This message has been edited by sidd (edited 04-12-99).]

Sidd
Re: Paul's New Cabinet.. (Truth in Advertising) #16374 04/12/99 07:11 PM
JoAnn Offline
Paul ,An outstanding cabinet!Would your brother-in-law like a trip to Oregon?

Re: Paul's New Cabinet.. (Truth in Advertising) #16375 04/12/99 08:14 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I hear Paul is selling replicas of his very special display case. The replicas are made of wood grain cardboard and Saran Wrap. Don't miss out on this deal for only $19.95! If you would like it signed...$22.95!

Paul,...you're making everyone jealous by showing your cabinet...

Bob

Re: Paul's New Cabinet.. (Truth in Advertising) #16376 07/27/99 01:23 AM
WackoPaul Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
First it was
The Cabinet

which is now joined by
The Twins

WackoPaul '
Keep the Flame

Re: Paul's New Cabinet.. (Truth in Advertising) #16377 07/27/99 01:50 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Nice. Very, Very nice!!!!

But, this is what we would expect from a Brady & Co. effort. SUre does lok impressive.

Dave

Re: Paul's New Cabinet.. (Truth in Advertising) #16378 07/27/99 08:33 AM
L
Lighthouse Ghost Offline
L
Paul,

Your cabinets are simply wonderful!!! I am most impressed with how thoroughly illuminated they appear to be!!! I wish my cabinets were as well illuminated as yours!!!

Lighthouse Ghost

Re: Paul's New Cabinet.. (Truth in Advertising) #16379 07/27/99 10:20 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Congratulations Paul, on the arrival of the twins. They look very healthy and well feed.
I guess you really owe your Brother-in-Law big time know.
I do see a little space on the bottom shelf on left but time to start planning for #4.
Great displays Paul, I'm sure even the folks at HL are envious!

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Paul's New Cabinet.. (Truth in Advertising) #16380 07/27/99 10:39 AM
WackoPaul Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
The next one would be number 6 cabinet, since I also have 2 store bought cabinets. It will be awhile before they are full. The Twins are very deep and I am only using the lighthouses one deep right now. I will add an image of the store bought one's tonight. They have the standard light at the top and it gets darker every shelf down to the bottom. We may add additional lighting to them down the road. It is really neat sitting in the great room with 'the cabinet' attached to the North wall, store bought on the East and West walls and 'the Twins' on the South wall. I guess since San Antonio won the NBA championship. I should call them the Twin Towers since they are holding a lot of towers. Thanks for the kind words about the Twins I will pass them on to Joe (master carpenter and brother-in-law).

WackoPaul '
Keep the Flame

Re: Paul's New Cabinet.. (Truth in Advertising) #16381 07/27/99 01:19 PM
A
Al and Kathy Offline
A
Paul, the twins are beautiful. I think you should share your brother-in-law with the rest of the HL family. We are all family, right?

Kathy

Re: Paul's New Cabinet.. (Truth in Advertising) #16382 07/27/99 02:26 PM
Augie K. Offline
Paul

Congratulations on the birth of your twins. I think they have your eyes. That is one great way to display your HLs.

Keep The Light Burning

The Flame

Augie K.
NELL Member
Re: Paul's New Cabinet.. (Truth in Advertising) #16383 07/27/99 03:07 PM
R
Rod Watson Offline
Saint
Saint
R
Congrats Paul. I know Sue has wanted twins for awhile now. I hope she is as excited as you must be, especially since Joe went through all the labor instead of her! LOL.

It's time to start sub-contracting him around the country now and expand Brady & Co. nationwide.
Rod Watson
Re: Paul's New Cabinet.. (Truth in Advertising) #16384 07/27/99 08:53 PM
Weasel58 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Paul, I’m so jealous that I can’t see straight. Paul you have one talented brother-in-law. When is he going to incorporate? I know I’ll be in line to order a set of “twins.” They would look good, one on each side of the living room, door. Congrates again.

------------------
Weasel58

[This message has been edited by Weasel58 (edited 07-27-99).]

Eric
Re: Paul's New Cabinet.. (Truth in Advertising) #16385 07/27/99 09:03 PM
Sunshine Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Paul,

The twins are beautiful. I am extremely jealous as I've been looking for cabinets very similar, but have as yet not found any.

I'll be in line behind Rod and Weasel if your brother-in-law ever wants to go nationwide. Please let him know that they are beautiful.

Judy

Re: Paul's New Cabinet.. (Truth in Advertising) #16386 07/27/99 10:06 PM
J
Joanne Offline
J
Hi Paul,

I've just got to tell you I am so impressed with not just the twins but the whole impact that your display makes. The twins along side your fireplace make a wonderful showcase.

Joanne

Re: Paul's New Cabinet.. (Truth in Advertising) #16387 07/27/99 10:32 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Finally! I'm going to get to see these fantastic works of cabinetry by your brother-in-law in person! See you soon.

John

[Does B-I-L know he could make a living off cabinets just for HL collectors?]

Re: Paul's New Cabinet.. (Truth in Advertising) #16388 07/28/99 08:06 AM
Lighthousedude Offline
Paul,

The cabinets are absolutely beautiful!!

I envy you and your display.

Great stuff!!!

Re: Paul's New Cabinet.. (Truth in Advertising) #16389 07/28/99 01:07 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Now that deserves a WOW!

They look great Paul!

Re: Paul's New Cabinet.. (Truth in Advertising) #16390 07/28/99 01:19 PM
LamarB Offline
Gorgeous Paul! Absolutely gorgeous! I know you must be proud.

Re: Paul's New Cabinet.. (Truth in Advertising) #16391 07/28/99 01:41 PM
Bill Harnsberger Offline
Ebert here.

WOW.

Re: Paul's New Cabinet.. (Truth in Advertising) #16392 07/28/99 11:15 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Fantastic Paul! Surely that's the "Lighthouse Angel" on the mantle watching over them?

MOMBO

Re: Paul's New Cabinet.. (Truth in Advertising) #16393 08/01/99 06:07 PM
WackoPaul Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
As I promised here's a combined picture of the two store bought cabinets. I know they look like twins also, but the first one (on the right) is a year older than her sister (on the left).

I used a light bounced off the ceiling to make the room bright enough to shoot the pictures of them, but you can still see how the light drops off as you go down to the lower shelves.

WackoPaul '
Keep the Flame

Re: Paul's New Cabinet.. (Truth in Advertising) #16394 08/03/99 12:58 AM
Jake Offline
Paul-

Can I have one of those cabinets? Now that I have 50 (I just got Colchester Reef yesterday) The boat is getting FULL.

Jakers

Jakers
Re: Paul's New Cabinet.. (Truth in Advertising) #16395 08/07/99 10:44 AM
A
adrienne Offline
A
Paul,
Rod refered me to this topic when I mentioned that I was in the market for a new curio cabinet. Your cabinets are the true TITANICS of curio cabinets. They are beautiful. Even though I could over a few more years of collecting probably fill one of them I would also find myself most likely single. While my husband enjoys my collection as much as I do, the purchase of all those pieces would in turn mean he gets to purchase guitars. I throughly enjoy my moderate and quiet collection.

Re: Paul's New Cabinet.. (Truth in Advertising) #16396 01/17/00 09:31 PM
WackoPaul Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I just had to save 'The Cabinet', 'The Twins' and their two older sisters from sinking off the deep end into oblivion.......
SaintWackoPaul '
Keep the Flame
and think Traverse

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,025 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users