cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Interior Staircase at Prospect Harbor Light Needs Dire Restoration #159066 08/31/06 12:55 AM
PFC Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Interior Staircase at Prospect Harbor Light Needs Dire Restoration

By Bob Trapani, Jr.

During a recent site visit to Maine’s Prospect Harbor Light, the American Lighthouse Foundation made some alarming discoveries inside the historic 1891 beacon. Deterioration to many of the interior wood components of the tower was very vivid, a dire situation that has been accelerated by both the age of the wood and the unusually heavy amount of moisture experienced throughout the region over the past couple of years.

In the summer of 2004 the American Lighthouse Foundation carried out emergency restoration measures in a collaborative effort with the United States Coast Guard and United States Navy to save Prospect Harbor’s lantern from collapsing into the tower. During the process it was evident to both ALF and professional contractors for the project that the restoration work saved the 38-foot tall Prospect Harbor Lighthouse from imminent collapse.

Despite the benefit this critical work served to the well being of the lighthouse, the tower still had many other restoration needs, partially stemming from the fact that the beacon has been automated since 1934. ALF contracted Spear Millworks in Machias, Maine, to attend to an important component of the tower in spring 2006 through the installation of new windows in the structure, which was generously funded by a grant from the New England Lighthouse Lovers, a chapter of the American Lighthouse Foundation.

“While it is true that we saved the lighthouse from collapse two years ago, and installed new windows this year, the interior of the tower is deteriorating rapidly from the previous water damage and now from the excessive moisture we had in Maine this past spring,” says Timothy Harrison, president of the American Lighthouse Foundation. “The interior walls and wooden stairway are in bad shape. In fact, I believe the stairway may be unsafe for the public to climb (during annual open houses hosted by the U.S. Navy) and I can assure you that the railing is so loose that it won’t hold anyone from falling straight down.”

Click the following link for the rest of the story:

http://tinyurl.com/op2ae

My best, smile
Paul Conlin
ALF Secretary

Help Save Our Lighthouses!

Become a part of the
American Lighthouse Foundation
P.O. Box 565
Rockland, Maine 04841

207 594-4174

www.lighthousefoundation.org
Re: Interior Staircase at Prospect Harbor Light Needs Dire Restoration #159067 08/31/06 10:05 AM
HCS Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
In July a group of us from NELL visited the lighthouse with Tim. The servicemen and women stationed there made us very welcome. It is a beautiful structure with it's wooden staircase, which is rapidly becoming unsafe. It would be a shame if this light was deemed unsafe and closed from public viewing.
Thanks for posting the story Paul.
HCS

Re: Interior Staircase at Prospect Harbor Light Needs Dire Restoration #159068 09/01/06 12:11 AM
regalhobo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I couldn't have said it better myself hilari.

smile cool

regalhobo
Tom K

:) :cool:

Moderated by  Bob Ott, wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,159 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users