Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The Houston Light Keepers First Raffle #158782 03/08/02 05:46 PM
shiulong Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
We are trying to put together a raffle for the Matagorda Light which was vandalized recently. There are many questions. First How do you decide what the prizes are? Do the local dealer particapate and sale tickets? Do dealers furnish prizes for the raffle? What is a good price for the tickets or how do you determine the price? How do you account for the money and does the Gov. mess with the Clubs?

Thanks in advance,
The Houston Light Keepers.

------------------
bigdragon

[This message has been edited by shiulong (edited 03-08-2002).]

bigdragon
Re: The Houston Light Keepers First Raffle #158783 03/09/02 02:15 AM
RFoster Offline
Chuck, the prizes come from wherever you can find them. The members, asking local stores for donations, etc. Since you are just starting out, and you Becki & Mike are the only members, I will donate to you a Harbour Lights Navesink (from my own collection) to help get things started. Please, email your address to me so I can send it to you. It is signed by Bill Younger.

I think that a good price for tickets at raffles is $1/each or 6 tickets for $5.

You should post your raffle here on the forums in order to sell tickets. I think that it would be great if each Harbour Lights Collector Club were to help you get started by either buying some tickets or by donating something for you to raffle.

I don't believe the Gov. will mess with you, as long as you are donating all of the proceeds to Matagorda Light. It would help if you were to become non-profit. NELL became a non-profit chapter of the American Lighthouse Foundation of Wells, ME and the Long Island Chapter of the USLHS is a chapter of the United States Lighthouse Society out of California.

I hope this answers some of your questions and I look forward to hearing from you concerning an address to send the Navesink.

Ron
(CT Keeper)

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Re: The Houston Light Keepers First Raffle #158784 03/09/02 06:42 AM
shiulong Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
I don't know how to thank you for your donation. I know Becki and Mike feel the same way and will drop you a note. I will email you my address. I know the Matagorda Light will benefit from your generous gift and it will give the club a great start. With support like this we can make an impact in our little corner of the world. As they say in spanish poco y poco (little by little) we will change the world.

Thank You,

Chuck

------------------
bigdragon

[This message has been edited by shiulong (edited 03-09-2002).]

[This message has been edited by shiulong (edited 03-09-2002).]

bigdragon
Re: The Houston Light Keepers First Raffle #158785 03/09/02 09:29 PM
RezmanDale Offline
Chuck,

What a great way to kick off your club. I am inspired by you and by and Ron's generous gift. I will also donate a HL LE to your club. I have a duplicate HL209 Cape Florida for second prize. Just let me know who wins and I'll be glad to ship it for you.
Good luck! I hope Matagorda Light gets a lot of help from this raffle.
Dale

[This message has been edited by DALE LAWRENCE (edited 03-09-2002).]

Re: The Houston Light Keepers First Raffle #158786 03/10/02 12:42 AM
shiulong Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
This is an absolutely great way to kick off our club and help a light that was hurt by some of all things Boy Scouts. I know these boys are not typical of Scouts. I promise to you both that I will work with the Scouts to correct the vandalism that was done. I was a Scout and a Scout Leader, my son is is a new Arrow of Light Boy Scout and we will see that the Madagorda Light is looking great once again. I thank you both from The Houston Light Keepers. My this has been a good day. I was told By Gift Creations that we would be allow ed to recruite new members at Nancy Younger's signing in May. We have our new fliers and we are set to Rock and Roll!

Thank You all,
Chuck, Becki, and Mike
The Houston Light Keepers

------------------
bigdragon

bigdragon
Re: The Houston Light Keepers First Raffle #158787 03/10/02 04:11 AM
beckitex Offline
Dale and Ron,

Thank you both so much for your generous donations. How kind of you to help us get our club off the ground and give us the opportunity to work towards one of our goals of becoming actively involved in the Matagorda Lighthouse Restoration Project. I hope I will be able to help a new club get off the ground in the future the way both of you have.

I am continually reminded of the generosity and kindness of the people I have met here, and I feel so blessed to be a part of this group.

Thanks again!

-------Becki

Becki smile
Re: The Houston Light Keepers First Raffle #158788 03/21/02 07:26 PM
shiulong Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
The Navesink has arrived, safe and sound. Thank you. I think that more or less takes care of our prizes. I will try one more place near here this weekend. The prizes are as follows.

1st Navesink HL200 signed BY Donated by Ron Foster

2nd Cape Florida HL209 Donated by Dale Lawrence

3rd Old Michigan HL712 Donated by Collectible Heirlooms Houston, TX

4th Alcatraz GLOW HL417 Donated by Gift Creation Houston, TX

There is one more local dealer I want to approach before we put out the official notice, but it is looking real good.

Chuck

------------------
bigdragon

[This message has been edited by shiulong (edited 03-21-2002).]

[This message has been edited by shiulong (edited 03-23-2002).]

bigdragon
Re: The Houston Light Keepers First Raffle #158789 03/21/02 09:28 PM
beckitex Offline
I received another donation today for the club. I had purchased a piece from Randy Kremer for my own collection. In shipment, he included #414 Barnegat, NJ for use in our raffle. Thank you so much Randy! We really appreciate your donation.

Becki smile
Re: The Houston Light Keepers First Raffle #158790 03/22/02 03:00 AM
Randy Kremer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
You are quite welcome Becki! Good luck on your fund raiser and your club! I think we all want to hear updates on how the work is going in the future on the Matagorda Lighthouse! It is a very unique light!
[This message has been edited by Randy Kremer (edited 03-22-2002).]

Re: The Houston Light Keepers First Raffle #158791 03/24/02 03:22 PM
beckitex Offline
We will be sure to keep all of you posted on the progress. I'll be sure to post pictures along the way as well.

-------Becki

Becki smile
Re: The Houston Light Keepers First Raffle #158792 03/24/02 05:18 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Don't forget to offer tickets to us Wackos.

We'll be sure to buy some.

Dennis

Re: The Houston Light Keepers First Raffle #158793 03/24/02 06:34 PM
shiulong Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
We should know the status of our last prize donation on Monday. Once all the prizes are in place we have a few details to work out. Hopefully we will have some type of money trail setup soon so we don't all end up in the raffle jail.lol It looks like this will be a glorious drawing with some really great prizes. It will definitely set a high mark for the great state of Texas and The Houston Light Keepers to approach in the future.

Chuck

------------------
bigdragon

bigdragon

Moderated by  Bob Ott, wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,148 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users