I was considering my nominations this morning and I decided to reference the Doomsday List Doomsday List published by the Lighthouse Digest magazine.

As I was paging through the links to the individual lights, what stood out was just how badly some of these lights have deteriorated over time. To the point that I wonder if some sort of triage isn't in order, to save the ones that are most savable.

There are 57 entries on the online version of the Doomsday List, 58 in the published version. Hopefully Wood Island Light Saving Station in Maine has been rescued and not lost. There are entries from Canada and Puerto Rico as well as the United States. Of the 58 names on the published list, I think only six have released by Harbour Lights. Anclote Key, Cape St. George, Esopus Meadows, Morris Island, Sankaty Head and Sharp's Island. From the looks of several of the others, they're going have to be part of the Forgotten Lights series if Harbour Lights ever does produce them. Towers fallen over, Keeper's quarters burned out, and access by boat or plane only are real impediments to restoration and popularity.

The nomination rules are posted. I guess the question left for each of us to ponder is, how to give priority to the Harbour Lights reproductions that qualify? What factors are important and how do they rank? Is it public access? Is it a matching grant opportunity that will leverage the pin donation? Is it the chance for eventual self sufficiency so repetitive donations will not be required? Or maybe some publicity that will gain mind share and maybe attract more people to an appreciation of nautical history? Something else?

A few nomination musings for a Friday morning.

TheOldKeeper