Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Overfalls Lightship Restoration to Continue #156844 09/25/06 01:14 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
I got this e-mail from Bob Trapani earlier today.

Here's a thought I had after reading it- I was unaware that the lighthship being talked about was never actually the Overfalls Lighthship. It seems to me that the designation of lightships during thier time of active service and espaecially after being decommisioned is not very logical or easy to understand the reasoning behind it.

I have a second thought connected to it but will post it seperately so as to not confuse things even more- public & private monies for restoration projects.

Dennis

"Good Morning,

The Cape Gazette in Lewes has a run a story entitled, "Operation Big Lift Next Step on Overfalls Restoration," which highlights the ongoing efforts of the Overfalls Maritime Museum Foundation in working to save the historic lightship along Lewes Canal. The OMMF has been unwavering in their efforts to save the lightship...if only everyone could see and understand all the work this dedicated group has done to pull the vessel back from the brink of being lost. Their next step is the biggest yet...a project to lift the vessel out of the water for much-needed repairs to the ship's hull. According to the news feature, this project may end up costing as much as $3 million dollars.

There are some amazing lighthouse restoration projects being undertaken around the country, but what the OMMF is doing with LV118 is just as amazing and worthy of our highest admiration...

http://www.capegazette.com/storiescurrent/200609/overfalls092206.html

Best Regards,

Bob"

Re: Overfalls Lightship Restoration to Continue #156845 09/25/06 11:36 PM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
When Susan and I saw it last year, it looked pretty good, however, they explained that the metal on the bottom was very thin, so that is why it needs to be lifted out of the water.

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el

Moderated by  Bob Ott, wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,980
Posts184,642
Members2,583
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 128 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
coloradolights, PortageRivrLight, DenizensofDeep, Rtubbs, SafeHarbor
2583 Registered Users