Next Thread
Print Thread
2004 WACKO PIN NOMINATIONS ARE OPEN #155594 05/08/03 04:15 AM
MrsTLC Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
NOMINATIONS RULES FOR THE 2004 PIN

This year I welcome Ruthie Cooper and Dennis Whelan, joining the Wacko Pin Committee, filling specific jobs in dealing with nominations, voting procedures, and pin promotion and advertising. I will appreciate your giving them your enthusiastic support, starting out here with posting your lighthouse nominations for Ruthie. Dennis will follow this up, by checking each nomination to determine if it meets all of our eligibility requirements as listed in the rules below. Final voting procedures a bit later on will be handled by Ruthie and Darlene Cook. Happy posting. Please give us some good choices to work with here.

KTF, Barb Hupp, Chairperson, aka Ladylightkeeper

It is time to determine who the lucky lighthouse will be to receive the profits for their preservation activities, raised from the 2004 Wacko pin sales. Only you, as a REGISTERED member of the Collector Forums, have a chance to participate in this important activity. You are invited to take part in Phase 1 which is making nominations of needy lighthouses (be sure to read the rules below) and also in Phase 2 which is the voting process to arrive at one eligible winner. A beautiful pin will be made,featuring a photo of the Harbour Lights sculpture of this lighthouse. The pin will be available for purchase by anyone who is interested in buying it. There is no registration requirement on the Forum for just buying the pin. All profits from these sales will then be sent to the lighthouse's non-profit preservation group in charge of their restoration activities.

It is suggested that you register on the Collector Forums as soon as possible,if you are not already registered. We welcome you to this friendly lighthouse-interest group, and hope you will stay active and become an enthusiastic poster both before and after the wacko pin activity period.

If for some reason you are registered on the Forums under more than one e-mail address, you may use ONLY ONE address and name for your nomination postings and voting. This name and address must stay consistent throughout this 2004
campaign. If for some reason you have to change your e-mail address, you will need to notify Darlene Cook of this at bugqueen@earthlink.net so that your eligibility will be clearly maintained.

The committee reserves the right to void any multiple nominations and multiple votes made by one same person using multiple names/email addresses,and by any unregistered persons. It is easy and FREE to register on the Collector Forums, so there should be no problem here in being an eligible participant.

We welcome new members to the Forums, be it from the Harbour Lights Collector Society, the many lighthouse clubs and organizations, the collector clubs, or those who just love lighthouses and want to see them preserved. And we hope you will become active posters and join the fun. Just remember, the key word here is you must REGISTER to join in this Wacko Pin activity. Our goal is to raise as much money as possible to donate to the winning lighthouse, for its preservation activities. If you have any questions on HOW to register, please contact Darlene at bugqueen@earthlink.net
From time to time, Forum members make comments which might help you in your decisions of which lighthouses to nominate: "Any light that receives our donations should be one that is publicly accessible and welcomes visitors, not
one that is privately owned which should accept responsibility for its own upkeep." "There are lighthouses out there which are not as well-publicized nor have such big volunteer groups, but still have needs for funding their restoration activities, be it a large or smaller
project." "Our funding might make a difference on a lighthouse's one small project that needs immediate attention or stabilizing."

Please keep all of the above comments and requirements in mind as you read over the following specific instructions. Then start in with posting your nominations, which need to be put ONLY on this Lighthouse Preservation Forum.

1. Think of this Phase 1 Nomination process as a primary election. The lighthouses which appear the MOST times will end up on the Phase 2 final
voting list later on.

2. You may post up to 10 United States lighthouse nominations. You don't have
to post all 10 at one time.

3. Only those nominations posted on this Lighthouse Preservation Forum will be
tallied and considered.If you wish to post them gradually, please do NOT revise your original post, but make an additional post(s), to make the tally process easier for Ruthie.

4. If someone has already posted lighthouses that you were interested in posting, that is fine. Post them again under your name. remember, those which appear as nominations the most times will end up on the final slate --- if
they meet our criteria.

5. Look at all parts of the U.S. for needy lighthouses. They do not have to be located in the area you live in. Maybe you saw some as you traveled to other regions. We would hope to spread our help out to all regions eventually.

6. It is most helpful to all participating in this project, if you could post a website address, a link to your nominated lights, a link to an article or photo of those lights , or even post your own photos showing the specific
material need for restoration. This will eventually help everyone in evaluating the most needy lighthouse and give a basis for their vote.

7. Be sure that the lighthouses you nominate are either owned or contractually operated by a non-profit organization, and are either currently doing restoration work or have it in the planning stages to begin within the next
year. A good source for researching which lights meet these criteria is the Lighthouse Digest Magazine, published by the Lighthouse Depot of Wells, Maine. Also check the Internet Index of Lighthouse Links which has been compiled by
John Chidester and gives links to most lighthouses. It can be accessed at
http://www.harbourlights.com/links/index.htm

8. All lighthouses MUST have a registered and active non-profit group in place. Restoration work must be in progress or about to start within the next year. The money we donate must be put to real and current use. Dennis will be
checking out each nomination to determine if it meets our criteria in order to remain on the nomination list.

9. A nominated lighthouse must be an ORIGINAL light, not one being built as a reproduction of a past light or a new light being built for a tourist site. Nor may this lighthouse be privately owned. It may not be owned by any
federal, state or municipal group UNLESS there is some legal in-place group or statute which allows for donated money to be used directly for the light's restoration and the money will not go into any general government fund.Historical preservation is the KEY concept for our group.

10. Any lighthouse nominated MUST have already had a sculpture of it made by Harbour Lights, as this is the basis of our unique photo pin Design. Little Lights of Mine (LLOM) are not eligible due to their small size and limited
detailing, which would not allow for a quality detailed photo for the design process.

11. Any lighthouses nominated in past years which still meet our criteria may be nominated again, exclusive of past winners: Morris Island, SC, St. George Reef, CA, Southeast Light on Block Island, RI and Bodie Island, NC.

12. The committee reserves the right to use the runner-up after voting, if the first place winner does not wish to participate in the project, or if it does not respond to the committee within a reasonable time frame with all written legal permissions, so that we can meet our design and production deadlines.

13. Deadline for nominations is Sunday, May 18, 2003 at midnight Pacific Time.

14. Ruthie will then tally the nominations and post on this Forum the top nominees for the election, following Dennis' confirmation of their
eligibility. The dates and rules for the final voting procedures will be posted at the appropriate time on this same Forum.

The committee welcomes you, both old and new registrants, to participate in this project as a way of showing your interest and dedication to saving our lighthouses. Information on how to order this 2004 pin, 5th in our series of
highly collectible pins, will be posted here later in the year. It takes almost a calendar year to complete a pin project and come back here full cycle. Thank you for your support.

Again, deadline for nominations is Sunday, May 18, at midnight Pacific Time.

The Wacko 2004 pin committee:

Barbara Hupp, Coordinator, Lamar Bevil, Darlene Cook, Ruthie Cooper, Henry Hupp, Dennis Whelan

Ruthie
"Where words fail, Music speaks"
Re: 2004 WACKO PIN NOMINATIONS ARE OPEN #155595 05/08/03 10:39 AM
silverfox51 Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Say, How about "Thunder Bay Island". From the picture I saw of the cracked tower, they could use the money.

Re: 2004 WACKO PIN NOMINATIONS ARE OPEN #155596 05/08/03 11:23 AM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Rule 10 states..
Quote:
10. Any lighthouse nominated MUST have already had a sculpture of it made by Harbour Lights, as this is the basis of our unique photo pin Design. Little Lights of Mine (LLOM) are not eligible due to their small size and limited detailing, which would not allow for a quality detailed photo for the design process.
"Thunder Bay Island" hasn't been done by Harbour lights..

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: 2004 WACKO PIN NOMINATIONS ARE OPEN #155597 05/08/03 11:41 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Esopus Meadows

For the 4th, 5th year (however long have been doing these pins?)!

Time to help restore the last remaining lighthouse on the Hudson River. It's small but dedicated preservation group has worked so hard to get this lighthouse back in shape. And last summer they finally gained full ownership of it. Past pin proceeds have gone to very worthy recipients but now isn't it time to help one of the lesser known lighthouses? Many folks here in the forums are well aware of this lighthouse and have been involved in some way with it. Last year when I attended their transfer ceremony I wore my Wacko Pin and was asked many questions about it. I explained the story behind it and the Esopus Meadows people were very excited to hear of our past fundraising efforts and very hopeful of some day becoming a recipient. smile

(I'll post more info on the light later when I have more time. Just wanted to get this nomination in quickly.)

Re: 2004 WACKO PIN NOMINATIONS ARE OPEN #155598 05/08/03 01:42 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
All my top nominees are in great need but will have to wait for Harbour Lights to make. You would think with all the great photographers that we have on the Forum, and all the new technology that Saint Paul (the Man behind the Curtain), could come up with a high quality image for the PIN? I know rules are rules but ...
just talking out loud to myself,
Bob smile

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: 2004 WACKO PIN NOMINATIONS ARE OPEN #155599 05/08/03 03:45 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director

Re: 2004 WACKO PIN NOMINATIONS ARE OPEN #155600 05/08/03 10:36 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
OK, here's my nominations-

1. Sandy Hook, NJ (just a coincidence that it's #1)

Sandy Hook Foundation info-

http://tritown.gmnews.com/News/2002/0221/Front_Page/015.html

Sandy hook info- http://njlhs.burlco.org/sandyhk.htm

2. Fort Niagara, NY

Official Site- http://www.oldfortniagara.org/

3. New London Ledge, CT

info link- http://www.lighthouse.cc/newlondonledge/

4. Montauk Point, NY

info link- http://www.montauklighthouse.com/home.htm

5.ESOPUS MEADOWS, NY

links-

http://www.pojonews.com/enjoy/stories/esoppg.htm#esop

http://www.esopusmeadowslighthouse.org/history/history.htm

6.East Point, NJ

info link- http://www.njlighthouses.net/eastpoint.html

Just some thoughts to consider.

Dennis

Re: 2004 WACKO PIN NOMINATIONS ARE OPEN #155601 05/08/03 11:37 PM
L
ladylightkeeper Offline
L
In answer to Bob's comments on the source for our pin photos:

Each year I basically write this same explanation, and the reasoning behind it stays the same. First, we have always been a group who are closely tied to Harbour Lights through our collecting activities. We show interest in their products, and commend them for their generosity in donating to many lighthouse groups for preservation efforts. They also are most generous in giving hundreds of their sculptures to clubs, organizations, and individuals who run auctions and raffles for their own lighthouse fundraising projects. Many of you here on the forums belong to such groups who have been the recipients of their company generosity. So what nicer way for us to honor their lighthouse-saving activity than by using their product image of a lighthouse on our pin.

From a photographic standpoint, having been a professional photographer and photo stock agency owner for many years: consistency in the looks of a product, especially a nice collectible, is very desirable. Our pin is a type of product, and is a sought-after collectible. How best to make its lighthouse image look consistently good each year? By using a photo of the same quality, with the same good lighting conditions which will show off the best details of the lighthouse, the best texture and quality of its materials. This is easiest to do under a controlled situation. In other words, Paul knows exactly the kind of photo our designer needs; he knows how to do the best lighting to show off the lighthouse; he can control the background that best shows off our lettering -- all done with his table-top photo set-up.

If a "regular" photo or even a digital photo, of the REAL lighthouse were to be used, there would be more problems to achieve this consistency of image. Different seasons give different lighting conditions; weather affects sky colors and the presence or absence of clouds, from beautiful blue to dark and cloudy days; time of day creates shadows that may not enhance the view. There is no way to get a controlled picture, which would be consistent from year to year for a product line.

Different cameras have what is called cool or warm lenses. Pictures taken by different photographers from year to year, would create a different hue to the image. Different photographers all see different compositions, and what they take may not end up being necessarily the best view or composition of any particular lighthouse. This would be fine in a photo contest, where individuality of interpretation is a plus; but not here for creating a product which should look consistent.

And besides, our pin is distinctive because of the HL image on it. We wanted it to be different from other pins and products out there which do use photos of the real lighthouse.

Just as that elusive seahorse is a symbol of an HL sculpture; so too is the HL sculpture's image a symbol of our distinctive pin. Enjoy Paul's great photo images and wear your pin proudly please.

Bob, even if your dearest choices can't be nominated this year due to the rule about HL having to make a sculpture first, I hope you will think of other lighthouses in other areas which need help and consider nominating some of them instead. This project depends on member participation in this and other phases. Thank you for helping to keep the flame.

Barb Hupp, chairman

ladylightkeeper
Re: 2004 WACKO PIN NOMINATIONS ARE OPEN #155602 05/09/03 12:18 AM
Chesapeake Bryan Offline
I'll nominate Turkey Point

They are in the middle of a fundraising campaign to reconstruct and furnish the keepers house.

http://www.caracove.com/tpls/TPLS%20Presentation_files/frame.htm

Re: 2004 WACKO PIN NOMINATIONS ARE OPEN #155603 05/09/03 01:03 AM
JoanieO Offline
I'd like to nominate the following:

l. Esopus Meadows NY

2. Cape St. George, FL

JoanieO smile

JoanieO
Re: 2004 WACKO PIN NOMINATIONS ARE OPEN #155604 05/09/03 01:15 AM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Here's a link for information on Cape St George-

http://users.erols.com/lthouse/csglt.htm

Dennis

Re: 2004 WACKO PIN NOMINATIONS ARE OPEN #155605 05/09/03 10:40 AM
silverfox51 Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Okay, I withdraw my nomination. I guess I just missed rule 10, I really did read them, just didn't stick. I did however make an appointment with the opteropthripopteromitrist though.

Re: 2004 WACKO PIN NOMINATIONS ARE OPEN #155606 05/09/03 01:34 PM
Rock Online
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
It's not just East coast lights that are falling apart...I nominate Coquille River Lighthouse near Bandon, Oregon...but keep in mind, the gentleman who did such an outstanding job of running the Bandon, OR website (from which the following link was pulled) passed away last year frown ...the contact info within should still be accurate.

http://www.bandonworld.com/thelight/page2.html

Re: 2004 WACKO PIN NOMINATIONS ARE OPEN #155607 05/09/03 02:33 PM
Shirin Offline
Several others have beat me to it but...

1. Esopus Meadows as this is my newest lighthouse project to work on, should be heading out to the light on Sunday if it doesn't rain

2. Sandy Hook as it is my favorite light to give tours of

3. Turkey Point as they could use some stairs vs. the ladders they have in the tower now and it would great to see them rebuild the keepers quarters

Shirin
Re: 2004 WACKO PIN NOMINATIONS ARE OPEN #155608 05/09/03 03:23 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Shirin

It's OK that someone else said it first- it's also good that you said it also.

This is the Primary- the more people who nominate a particular Lighthouse the more chance that Lighthouse has in reaching the real election.

This is just phase one folks- don't hold back from nominating a Light just because someone else already did.

This is the time to step up and vote for as many as you would like. (Well, up to 10, please) The next phase is where you only get to vote for one.

I know we have a lot more registered users out there- let's hear your thoughts also.

We've got good choices already- chime in with yours.

Dennis

Re: 2004 WACKO PIN NOMINATIONS ARE OPEN #155609 05/09/03 03:47 PM
LADYBUG Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Coquille River

Esopus Meadows

Re: 2004 WACKO PIN NOMINATIONS ARE OPEN #155610 05/09/03 04:06 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I'll add Coquille River, OR to my list of nominations.

Dennis

Re: 2004 WACKO PIN NOMINATIONS ARE OPEN #155611 05/09/03 04:25 PM
MrsTLC Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Using my same ones from last year I nominate:
Coquille River, OR
Esopus Meadows , NY
Ruthie smile

Ruthie
Re: 2004 WACKO PIN NOMINATIONS ARE OPEN #155612 05/09/03 05:26 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
To quote Mombo!!!

Esopus Meadows

They have a great group of people restoring several of the Hudson River lighthouses and could use the help..

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: 2004 WACKO PIN NOMINATIONS ARE OPEN #155613 05/09/03 06:47 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
TURKEY POINT
ESPOUS MEADOWS

Re: 2004 WACKO PIN NOMINATIONS ARE OPEN #155614 05/09/03 09:36 PM
Ron Offline
[*]ESOPUS MEADOWS [*]COQUILLE RIVER

Re: 2004 WACKO PIN NOMINATIONS ARE OPEN #155615 05/09/03 11:48 PM
Moby Dick Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Coquille River

Burrows Island, WA -- although I'm not sure they meet all the requirements for nomination

Re: 2004 WACKO PIN NOMINATIONS ARE OPEN #155616 05/10/03 12:53 AM
L
ladylightkeeper Offline
L
I will list my first nomination as ESOPUS MEADOWS

So far, our Wacko pin has helped 3 lighthouses on the East Coast (SE Block, Morris Island, and now Bodie) The West Coast lighthouse helped was St. George Reef.

Under our philosophy of trying to eventually help lighthouses in all U.S. regions, ESOPUS MEADOWS would be our first non-coastal light and in a new region.

Keep up your enthusiastic nomination posting. It's great. And much applause for our new committee member, Dennis, who is doing a great job of helping keep us all informed by posting websites and article addresses. Dennis will be doing the final eligibility checking this year.

KTF, Barb Hupp

ladylightkeeper
Re: 2004 WACKO PIN NOMINATIONS ARE OPEN #155617 05/10/03 01:23 PM
Tom and Joyce Abbott Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Esopus Meadows
Sandy Hook
Turkey Point
Fort Niagara
Coquille River

Tom & Joyce
Re: 2004 WACKO PIN NOMINATIONS ARE OPEN #155618 05/11/03 12:56 PM
Randy Kremer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I would like to add one to the list that has been in the news a lot the past few years.

One of my favorites....

Currituck

Re: 2004 WACKO PIN NOMINATIONS ARE OPEN #155619 05/11/03 02:59 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Here's a link for Currituck

http://www.outer-banks.com/lighthouses.asp

This one definitely qualifies.

Dennis

Re: 2004 WACKO PIN NOMINATIONS ARE OPEN #155620 05/12/03 12:44 AM
T
TheOldKeeper Offline
T
Graphic example of large restoration projects if you own either of the HL replicas or have visited the sites of these lighthouses.

I nominate:

Round Island, MS

and

Cape St. George, FL

Re: 2004 WACKO PIN NOMINATIONS ARE OPEN #155621 05/12/03 01:33 AM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I've tried to find something that is more recent about Cape St George and it's Society, but the most recent info online is from 1999-2000.

I've sent an email to the address listed for Cape St George and am doing the same for Round Island as it's site is not recently updated either.

Dennis

Re: 2004 WACKO PIN NOMINATIONS ARE OPEN #155622 05/12/03 12:36 PM
LamarB Offline
I'll start with Esopus Meadows, too.

Re: 2004 WACKO PIN NOMINATIONS ARE OPEN #155623 05/12/03 06:31 PM
T
TheOldKeeper Offline
T
Dennis,

Sorry! I should have mentioned that I had sent emails requesting more up to date information on the projects. I felt the nominations were still valid, since neither lighthouse is great shape today.

The Florida Lighthouse Association is another source for information about Cape St. George, or any Florida lighthouse.

TOK

Re: 2004 WACKO PIN NOMINATIONS ARE OPEN #155624 05/12/03 10:59 PM
Marzipan Offline
I would like to nominate

Esopus Meadows...

That beautiful little light on the Hudson. I truly wish we could do something for Plum Island some time in the future.

~Dale Anne
Re: 2004 WACKO PIN NOMINATIONS ARE OPEN #155625 05/12/03 11:43 PM
DocJ44 Offline
Looking at the most recent "Doomsday List" in May's Lighthouse Digest, I come up with 4 lights that have had Harbour Lights replicas made and that have not already been made into a Wacko Pin. Therefore, I will nominate them:

Cape St. George, FL
Esopus Meadows, NY
Sankaty Head, MA
Sharp's Island, MD

The first two seem to have already been established as having a preservation group associated with them in the posts above.

I believe Sankaty has a group working toward its preservation as well. Its mentioned at the end of this link:
http://www.lighthouse.cc/sankaty/history.html

However, I couldn't find any information regarding a group involve with Sharp's Island. Do any members of the Chesapeake Chapter of the USLS know of any such group...perhaps the chapter itself? Perhaps Dennis can find out something more whether such a group exists.

John

Doc John
Re: 2004 WACKO PIN NOMINATIONS ARE OPEN #155626 05/13/03 01:00 AM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I'm not ready to rule that Burrows Island, Cape St George or Round Island yet.

The last two have had an organization. I just haven't been able to get in contact with anyone yet and all the web sources have not been updated for at least a year.

The Florida Lighthouse Association page takes you to the same sources for Cape St George that I have already investigated.

Doc John is correct there is an organization for Sankaty. I'm going to try and get some updated info from them tomorrow.

As for Sharps Island- I'll start investigating that one and get back to you ASAP.

Dennis

Re: 2004 WACKO PIN NOMINATIONS ARE OPEN #155627 05/13/03 03:31 AM
H
Henry J Hupp Offline
H
I would like to nominate Esopus Meadows as my first wacko pin nomination. There seems to be a very active group helping this worthy lighthouse including some forum members. I think they would really appreciate our help.

Henry

foghornkeeper
Re: 2004 WACKO PIN NOMINATIONS ARE OPEN #155628 05/13/03 01:48 PM
LamarB Offline
I'll add Currituck Beach to my nominations list, too.

Re: 2004 WACKO PIN NOMINATIONS ARE OPEN #155629 05/13/03 02:03 PM
BGBaccaro Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I nominate Esopus Meadows.

Bruce

Re: 2004 WACKO PIN NOMINATIONS ARE OPEN #155630 05/13/03 04:40 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I have been able to confirm that there is no qualifying organization for Burrows Island.

I spoke with a Ranger assigned to the Burrows Island Lightstation State Park and he indicated that the ownership issue hasn't even been settled between the Coast Guard and the Washington State Park System, let alone any group formed yet.

Please do not nominate Burrows Island for the 2004 Wacko Pin Project.

Dennis

Re: 2004 WACKO PIN NOMINATIONS ARE OPEN #155631 05/13/03 08:01 PM
Moby Dick Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Thanks Dennis for researching Burrows Island. As a result I withdraw my previous nomination.

Re: 2004 WACKO PIN NOMINATIONS ARE OPEN #155632 05/13/03 08:07 PM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I'll place my vote for Esopus Meadows.

Re: 2004 WACKO PIN NOMINATIONS ARE OPEN #155633 05/13/03 10:52 PM
2beacons Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
1. East Point, NJ
2. Boon Island, ME
3. Cape St George, CA
4. Rockland Breakwater, ME
5. Currituck, NC
6. Point Betsie, MI

2beacons

Re: 2004 WACKO PIN NOMINATIONS ARE OPEN #155634 05/14/03 12:46 AM
MelJB Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I also nominate Esopus Meadows, NY
then Boon Island ME, then Currituck NC (gotta have a southern one in the bunch smile even though I believe the other 2 are in more dire need.)

Melody
Re: 2004 WACKO PIN NOMINATIONS ARE OPEN #155635 05/14/03 01:11 AM
P
Passion for Hatteras Offline
P
I'd selfishly like one that Outer Banks Lighthouse Society supports, but thanks for Bodie Island this year.

Let's go with Esopus Meadow, that's spreading it around a little.

I'm a new member on the forum so if I commit some deadly error, please forgive.

Betty Parrish
Re: 2004 WACKO PIN NOMINATIONS ARE OPEN #155636 05/14/03 10:09 AM
DocJ44 Offline
To my previous list of nominations, I would like to also add:

Anclote Key, FL

Its on the "Doomsday List," its the newest addition to the Harbour Lights limited edition family, and it has a preservation group associated with it.

http://users.erols.com/lthouse/aklt.htm
This was the best link I could find about Anclote Key that show some images about the state of the light...but I know there are forum members who could give more information about the light and the preservation work going on to save it.

John

Doc John
Re: 2004 WACKO PIN NOMINATIONS ARE OPEN #155637 05/14/03 09:46 PM
MrsTLC Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Just a few more days till Sunday, May 18, at midnight Pacific Time to post nominations. Don't let this time pass you by to nominate your favorite lighthouse for the cool 2004 WACKO PIN!
Ruthie smile

Ruthie
Re: 2004 WACKO PIN NOMINATIONS ARE OPEN #155638 05/16/03 01:21 AM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I'm still awaiting concrete answers on some of the nominations, but I can give an answer on one-

Sharps Island, MD is not eligible for the Wacko Pin. It has no organization in place or even in the planning stages .

Sorry John.

Please take Sharps Island off the list.

Dennis

Re: 2004 WACKO PIN NOMINATIONS ARE OPEN #155639 05/16/03 01:52 AM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I would also like to nominate Cape St. George, FL.
There are several websites, some have the picture of the light leaning which has been fixed, but the group has run out of money to restore the lighthouse itself. It needs stairs, paint etc.

Here are some sites:

http://www.unc.edu/%7Erowlett/lighthouse/fl.htm
http://www.coastlights.com/
http://floridalighthouses.org (go to tours, click district four, then click Cape St. George

http://apalachtimes.com/stl/index.html
http://www.lighthousefiends.com/light.asp?ID=592
(click tower interior)

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: 2004 WACKO PIN NOMINATIONS ARE OPEN #155640 05/16/03 11:11 PM
N
Nana Offline
N
Anclote Key would be a great light for a pin. You have to know I would say that.

Restoration is well underway and as I type, International Chimney Co., is doing work on the light. There will be a relighthing ceremony on Sept. 13th, 2003. There are many areas of the restoration that a pin donation would really benefit.

Derith
http://www.geocities.com/anclotekey/
http://www.bertiehiggins.com/LightHousePage.htm
http://www.geocities.com/anclotekey/article.htm

Re: 2004 WACKO PIN NOMINATIONS ARE OPEN #155641 05/17/03 08:05 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I can positively confirm that Coquille is eligible for the nomination.

I spoke to a woman on the Restoration Project earlier today.

I also have bad news- I have to disqualify Currituck again this year for the same reason it was ineligible last year- it's ownership is still in question due to the appeal by the County.Here's the link to the story.

http://www.dailyadvance.com/news/newsfd/auto/feed/news/2003/04/23/1051113517.00303.2058.1716.html

Keep in mind that Currituck will almost definitely be eligible for next year's Pin. I believe (hope) that the appeal will go against the County

I also have to disqualify Cape St George. I have not found any evidence that the Organization raising funds is still operating. I have discovered that there are several problems including a disput with the contractor on the First Phase of the Restoration. I have found no evidence to support any work being done by the Organization at this time or any planned continued restoration being planned at this time.

Hopefully things will change in the future and this project can get back on track and the Lighthouse will be eligible for the Pin.

Sorry Lamar and all the others who nominated these Lighthouses who deserve the help, but under the rules above don't qualify at this time.

Dennis

Re: 2004 WACKO PIN NOMINATIONS ARE OPEN #155642 05/18/03 12:40 AM
LADYBUG Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Adding Anclote Key to my nominations

Re: 2004 WACKO PIN NOMINATIONS ARE OPEN #155643 05/18/03 02:18 AM
MrsTLC Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Not trying to be a "copycat" wink I too would like to add Anclote Key, Fl to my nominations. Our WACKO friends in Florida are working so hard to bring it back to life.
Ruthie smile

Ruthie
Re: 2004 WACKO PIN NOMINATIONS ARE OPEN #155644 05/18/03 09:54 PM
MrsTLC Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Just a reminder...Getting real close to the deadline for nominations... TONIGHT , May 18, at midnight Pacific Time.
Ruthie smile

Ruthie
Re: 2004 WACKO PIN NOMINATIONS ARE OPEN #155645 05/18/03 11:13 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Originally posted by mombo:
Esopus Meadows

As much as it pains me to agree with Mombo twice in the same week, Esopus Meadows is the one! Second choice for me would have to be Coquille River.

Dave

Re: 2004 WACKO PIN NOMINATIONS ARE OPEN #155646 05/19/03 12:12 AM
Weasel58 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Well since I work with the group restoring her. ANCLOTE KEY, FL gets my vote.

round Island Miss is another one.

Eric
Re: 2004 WACKO PIN NOMINATIONS ARE OPEN #155647 05/19/03 05:04 AM
MrsTLC Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Time's Up...Nominations Closed
Thanks so much to all of your nominations.
Ruthie smile

Ruthie

Moderated by  Bob Ott, wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (DANIEL, Rock), 1,573 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users