Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Lighthouse Stamp Collector Panels #154959 07/09/03 10:27 PM
AZlightkeeper Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Did anyone receive the mailing from the Postal Commemorative Society in regards to these panels?

Jim
Re: Lighthouse Stamp Collector Panels #154960 07/09/03 10:42 PM
W
WisKeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
W
I received the USA Philatelic catalog today from the United States Postal Service.

What did you receive from the Postal Commemorative Society?

Suzanne

Suzanne Murphy
President, Wisconsin Lighthouse District (WILD)
Re: Lighthouse Stamp Collector Panels #154961 07/09/03 10:57 PM
ga light man Offline
Yes I did also and I aleady ordered them and I can't wait to see them and have the lighthouse stamps too.
Rick

Re: Lighthouse Stamp Collector Panels #154962 07/09/03 11:28 PM
AZlightkeeper Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Just was wondering if it was a wise investment? I also could not find a website for them.

Jim
Re: Lighthouse Stamp Collector Panels #154963 07/10/03 12:45 AM
MelJB Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I rec'd the mailing also, and have been debating whether to order or not. Wasn't sure if the mailing was from United States Postal, or if the intention was to make one think exactly that even though they are not the 'Post Office'.

Melody
Re: Lighthouse Stamp Collector Panels #154964 07/10/03 01:08 AM
W
WisKeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
W
The Postal Commemorative Society sells official stamp panels usually as part of a collection that can be put into a book. They don't sell individual stamps or panes of stamps. One of their collections is first day covers, in which you receive every first day cover that is issued for as long as you subscribe.

They recently started lighthouse panels. These do look interesting, but they charge per page and some of the pages have stamps and other pages are just a drawing of a lighthouse. Is this what you received in the mail today?

The official U.S. stamp catalog is called USA Philatelic. It is the official source for U.S. Postal Stamps from the United States Postal Service. They are selling the new Southeastern Lighthouses stamps.

I ordered several panes of 20 stamps, the postcard booklet, the set of five first day covers, and a matted keepsake. When I ordered the matted keepsake the catalog didn't describe it and only listed one. I received the picture of Cape Henry with the 5 stamps below. The catalog I received today shows that they have matted keepsakes for all 5 of the stamps.

The post office first day covers are very inexpensive - only $3.75 for the set of five. The panes of 20 stamps cost exactly what 20 stamps would cost and no more.

Here is a link to a picture of the matted keepsakes: http://shop.usps.com/images/selighthouses_matted_f.jpg

Heres a link to the U.S. Post Office Postal Store. Scroll to lighthouses and click on the word lighthouse:
http://shop.usps.com/cgi-bin/vsbv/postal_store_non_ssl/home.jsp

Scroll to the bottom to see descriptions of lighthouse stamps, first day covers, matted keepsakes, etc.

Suzanne

Suzanne Murphy
Re: Lighthouse Stamp Collector Panels #154965 07/10/03 02:22 AM
W
WisKeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
W
Here is something else people may not be aware of:

HOW TO ORDER THE FIRST DAY OF ISSUE POSTMARK

Customers have 30 days to obtain the first day of issue postmark by mail. They may purchase new stamps at their local post office, by telephone at 800-STAMP-24, and at the Postal Store Web site at www.usps.com/shop. They should affix the stamps to envelopes of their choice, address the envelopes (to themselves or others), and place them in a larger envelope addressed to: SOUTHEASTERN LIGHTHOUSES COMMEMORATIVE STAMPS, POSTMASTER, 102 SOUTH CAMPBELL AVE, TYBEE ISLAND GA 31328-9991
After applying the first day of issue postmark, the Postal Service will return the envelopes through the mail. There is no charge for the postmark. All orders must be postmarked by July 13, 2003.

http://www.usps.com/communications/news/stamps/2003/sr03_023.txt

Suzanne Murphy
Re: Lighthouse Stamp Collector Panels #154966 07/13/03 01:47 AM
Dick Johnson Offline
The Postal Commerative society does First Day issues on new stamps from the Postal Service. The envelopes contains the stamp, a post mark from a place of importance to the stamp, and an original pictorial representation of the stamp. In addition to First Day Issues the society also packages stamps with a similar content subject. As an example I have received all of the state stamps, stamps issued for the World Wildlife Fund, block sets, among others. The stamps usually come with some sort of narrative describing the content of the stamp, and something on the design and designer. They usually give you a custom binder to put the series in. The cost of these is always higher than just getting the stamps at the post office, but what you are buying is the presentation.

I have ordered the lighthouse series for two reasons. First I will have all of the lighthouse stamps in a binder with a narrative about each. Secondly this collection is not limited to only United States stamps, but contains international stamps that are not avaialble through the Postal Service. I think your decision to buy should be based on if you want the stamps well presented, and in a binder. The collection will cost a little more than you may think it is worth, but if you are a stamp collector it is a nice way to present them, and it is easy to store and find.

Moderated by  Dave H 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,414 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users