cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Going on a Postcard Quest today... #154076 02/23/03 12:26 PM
Roxie Offline OP
OP Offline
To the local flea market to see what I can find to add to my collection. Does anyone have a prized older postcard? smile

Marblehead, Mass. Lighthouse, you will always have a very special place in our hearts. ....We've made the journey as far south as New Jersey, as far north as Canada. Over 100 lighthouses visited.... and so many more to go.
Re: Going on a Postcard Quest today... #154077 02/23/03 03:29 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Good luck Roxie! Most of my "prized" older cards are not lighthouse cards but cards sent by and to relatives that had been saved by my Dad and his sister. If he were alive today my Dad would be 92 and his sister a couple years older so there are lots of old cards in the collection.

Re: Going on a Postcard Quest today... #154078 02/23/03 04:14 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
As I first read Mombo's post above, I got the impression that what she had were cards from people whose lives her dad had saved.

I was picturing him a member of the US Lifesaving Service... then I re-read it a couple of times and realized differently.

Around here, there are a number of 'antique malls' in which dealers rent a small space to display their wares. These dealers don't need to be there, of course, the mall handles the sales for them from the things on display.

One such booth probably had about 20,000 old post cards, mostly well-organized by subject matter. Fortunately 'Lighthouses' was a topic. But I wonder how many of the state-by-state sorts also had lighthouse post cards in them.

A few other dealers had smaller assortments of post cards, but I didn't have time to search through the scores of booths on my last trip.

Guess I'll make another trip this week and check out the two other antique malls next door as well.

Re: Going on a Postcard Quest today... #154079 02/25/03 12:13 PM
Roxie Offline OP
OP Offline
Well, what a surprise to find that the flea market was totally packed on Sunday. You could barely get down the aisles. But let me tell you the trip was worth it. The first goodie was an original hardcover book by Edward Rowe Snow, called America's Lighthouses, it's from the late 1940's and is a first edition (with some pictures). He was asking $25, I haggled it to $15.00. A nice addition to our Lighthouse book collection. I also picked up some postcards... 50's era, but that's okay because they were only 50 cents. I got a nice one of Whaleback Light, and one of Chatham Light (before they changed the top, and with the WWII lookout tower). I also picked up a nice Isle of Shoals card, a nice closeup of the tower! There is a nice one of a Steamship passing by the Brant Point Lighthouse, which I am tempted to put on eBay. And a few others. Spent less than $20.00 for everything! Not too shabby. laugh

Marblehead, Mass. Lighthouse, you will always have a very special place in our hearts. ....We've made the journey as far south as New Jersey, as far north as Canada. Over 100 lighthouses visited.... and so many more to go.
Re: Going on a Postcard Quest today... #154080 02/25/03 04:44 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sounds like you did pretty good for twenty bucks.

Moderated by  Dave H 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,358 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users