Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Greetings from...what'd you think? #153941 01/06/04 12:05 AM
seagirt Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
I just thought of a great PCE and wanted to know what y'all thought.

When I went to the Outer Banks last week, I had lots of fun scribbling "Mained from Nags Head, NC 1/1/04!" (The exclaimation having to do with the fact it was 1/1/04) on a postcard and mailing it to myself postmarked from the town the lighthouse featured on the postcard is located in. (Well, OK, they all were postmarked from Rocky Mount, but I saw some great American post offices! :rolleyes: )

Would there be any interest in doing an exchange kind of like a "greetings from" where you send postcards to each member of the exchange from the post office of the town the light is located in. You could either right a "Mailed from..." message or a personalized one. You could take as long as you wanted to visit your lighthouses, probably around 10.

Let me know what you think...I think it sounds fun! smile

Re: Greetings from...what'd you think? #153942 01/06/04 12:18 AM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
The idea sounds fun but usually I'm in a hurry to get to the next lighthouse and wouldn't want to track down the post office.

In one PCE, I sent cards from Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia and had them stamped from the post office since it is inside the lighthouse. laugh

The stamped date turned out to be very unique and extremely sad for me and the rest of the country. I had just walked outside from the post office inside the lighthouse when a man walked by and told people to go listen to the radio.

The date was 9-11-01. My cards were stamped just as the first tower was hit by the plane. frown frown

Re: Greetings from...what'd you think? #153943 01/06/04 12:41 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Greg,

You are welcome to try and set up such an exchange, but I think you will find most folks would have several problems with this idea:

(1) Many of us pick up post cards for exchanges when we are out lighthousing. I have come home with 2-3 sets from a given area, giving myself some extra stock.
(2) As Lorie noted, many of us participate in "speed lighthousing" where we have a fair amount of ground to cover in a short period of time. No time to buy the cards, write the cards, get them addressed and stamped, find the local PO and drop them into the mail.
(3) Some folks who don't get to go lighthousing as often as they like either buy post cards from on-line dealers or have friends pick them up for them.
(4) Given that a number of those who are in the exchanges sometimes go lighthousing with each other, you could end up with several cards from the same light (and perhaps several of the very same card) in a given exchange. I tend to wait until midway thru an exchange to decide which card I will send, trying to add variety into the exchange (if everyone is sending east coast or GL cards, maybe I will send a west coast card).

As I said, you can see who is interested and set up such an exchange. I expect it will be less than the 25 people we normally go with, but we have done smaller exchanges in the past. Just remember that you are responsible for collecting and distributing names and mailing addresses. I would also suggest that since your premise requires that cards be mailed from the lighthouse community, you will have to have a fairly long exchange to allow for everyone to get out lighthousing - perhaps as long as 6 months or more.

Dave

Re: Greetings from...what'd you think? #153944 01/06/04 02:17 AM
Larry R Offline
Those who were involved in PCE 19, got that very treat. I grew up fishing off of the Ashland Breakwater Light, and so it only seemed fitting, to send it on Christmas Eve, with a Holiday Greeting, from the Ashland Post Office.

Larry

Re: Greetings from...what'd you think? #153945 01/06/04 07:30 PM
seagirt Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Dave-

Those are all very good points. If you were going to join the exchange, you would have to be serious about your ability to participate. If you always speed-lighthouse, then you couldn't participate unless you were willing to slow down the pace a bit to scribble down the notes. It could always be a "Greetings from Sea Girt Lighthouse in Sea Girt NJ from Greg 1/6/2004" kind of thing, or if you have more time, it could be a long note. It could all be up to how well you know the person, too.

We could probably set a number of lights to be visited, say 5 for the first round, and if it's a success, we can do a second round with 6-7. It could flunk, too. This would be an experiment.

You talk about duplicates. What you could do there is say which cards you are going to send ahead of time, and make a sort of list that can be referenced before sending. Lights would be first come, first serve--if you visited Watch Hill before anyone else, than you are the only one allowed to send cards from that light. That could keep it fresh.

Of course, you could end up with cards that you got in other exchanges, but that would be difficult to control. I'm sure that happens, too, so it's not a major worry. Besides, the new one will be mailed from the lighthouse.

You make another point in your speed-lighthousing comment. Finding a PO. What you could then do is look on the USPS site ahead of time for the address of the PO of the town(s) that you want to send cards from, and print out the map. That way, you can easily find a place to throw them in the box and run. Or, if your schedule is really packed, you could maybe just send one card on that trip.

You also talk about people having them picked up or buying them online. That's OK, but I'd think that there would be a rule that you or someone in your party have to physically be at the mailbox and drop them in yourself. The cards don't have to all be purchased that trip, though it would be nice for everyone to have the same thing, and preferably a basic postcard instead of some fancy one...one with the lighthouse as the spotlight, not "Ocracoke" with the lighthouse in the background. That's one I saw on the OBX.

You talk about group lighthousing and duplicate cards from several people going together. First, I'd probably restrict it to 5 people who are pretty frequent lighthousers (a mimimum of 5 lights/year), including myself. Thus, it's a little harder, though not impossible, to find a group of which both members belong to the exchange--not impossible though. In that case, the persons in the group would have to agree who would send cards from which light, or possibly send joint cards, with both persons sending the card for credit on both of their lists. They could decide this amongst themselves.

I think that could be a solution to all the problems you mentioned. The first time 'round, I'd like to keep it small, 5 people/5 lights, to see how it works out. If it works out, then we can do it again. If it fails terribly, we nix the idea for future use. I think though, that it could be feasible, especially with about a year to get around.

The only thing I would need help with is some tips on managing an exchange. I have never participated in an exchange, let alone articulated one, and need some pointers on the basics of working one. Seeing as this is a first attempt, I'll keep it limited, and see how hard it is. If I find it overwhelming, but the exchange is a success, then next time someone else can pick up the reins. But all in all, it looks like fun if there is interest! smile

OK, I've rambled on and on now, so I'm gonna end this post here.

Re: Greetings from...what'd you think? #153946 01/06/04 08:11 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
It sounds like a neat idea, Greg, and you'll probably get some participants who want to try it.

Sorry, as for me, I'll have to decline.

When I go to an area to visit lighthouses I've never seen before, especially if there is a great concentration in the area I wish to cover...I suppose I'm in the category of "speed lighthousing".

The object when I do this, is to see as many lights as possible in the time allotted...usually a vacation week or long weekend.

I think the mechanics you're talking about would add stress to an otherwise enjoyable lighthousing adventure.

However, I'm happy to pick up postcards along the way and share them later.

Judy smile

Judy
Re: Greetings from...what'd you think? #153947 01/06/04 08:15 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Greg,

You can find suggested post card exchange guidelines here .

If you want to try such an exchange you need to be sure to post very clearly what your intention is. In your original post, I understood one person would send one card from one light to each participant. In your latest post, you speak of one card from five lights for each participant. If you were to get the same number of players we have in the traditional exchanges, that would potentially cost each person $70 - $75 per exchange - a little steep.

So you understand, the people who buy cards from online dealers or have friends pick cards up for them do so because they can not easily get to actual lighthouse areas to get the cards themselves. They don't pre-order cards for a light they will be going to see.

I would think your idea to enlist 4 or 5 others who would like to participate is appropriate. Then, if you would like them to send a card from each of 4-5 lighthouses visited, they would not be out any more money than if they participated in a traditional type of exchange.

Good luck.

Dave

Re: Greetings from...what'd you think? #153948 01/06/04 09:37 PM
seagirt Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Oops...it looks like the wording with "one card from one light to each participant" wasn't that great, seeing as you got confused. When I meant that, I meant to send out one card with one lighthouse depicted on it to each participant. This is because I have seen cards that say "Greetings from Maine" and have small pictures of Portland Head, West Quoddy, Nubble, Rockland Bkwtr., or some other combo of Maine lights on the face of the card. I would rather the cards be depictions of a single light. Sorry for the confusion.

I see what you mean about people far from lighthouses. The only suggestion I have is to not participate. If you are from a place that prohibits you from getting out to lights too often, then don't participate. When and if I launch the exchange, I'll probably say to only join if you get out to see lighthouses more than approx. 5 times/year. That pretty much ensures that you will be able to participate.

The end date for the exchange will be one year from the start date, but if all 175 cards have been sent out (5 cards from 25 lights, plus 2 extras for The Youngers and Connie Small, as it looks like is the tradition) prior to the end date, the exchange will be ended early, and, depending on its success, another one will or will not be started after the traditional requisite two months.

Also, I think if you send stamped cards, letters, etc. to the post office of the town you want the postmark from in an envelope, they will mail them out from their post office with their postmark. I know that some towns with Christmas-related names will take peoples Christmas cards and do this, so I would guess that you can do the same with lighthouse postcards. That way, you can buy your postcards while out lighthousing as you always would, then mail them to the, for example, Nags Head post office stamped, addressed, and messaged. The people in Nags Head will then take your postcards and do whatever they do to put postmarks on them. Thus, you don't have to spend the time finding the PO, mailing them, getting back to your trip, etc. It might be good to call the PO before the trip and see if they can do this for you, though.

I think if there is enough interest, all is go!

Re: Greetings from...what'd you think? #153949 01/07/04 01:15 AM
beckitex Offline
Greg-

I'd be interested in participating if the goal wasn't too lofty. I, like the rest, do the majority of my sightseeing via speed lighthousing. I have a few (very few) exceptions. For example, I'm going to San Diego next weekend and will be there the whole weekend. It would not be a chore for me to buy and send Old Point Loma cards. I also go to New England every year for at least a week. I always visit some of my old standbys, such as Portland Head and Nubble. Those would probably be easy for me to do as well. I live 40 minutes from Bolivar, so that would be easy, too. However, I don't know how accurate I'd get. For example, Portland Head would be mailed from Portland and not Cape Elizabeth in my world. I don't even know if CE has a PO, and if they do, I wouldn't even begin to know where to look. I guess I'm wondering how accurate we'd have to be. Such a silly question, I know, but I'm just kind of thinking out loud as I type. If it's something you want to do, I'd say try it. If it doesn't work out or you don't get the response you hoped for, I still commend you for coming up w/ a fresh idea! laugh

Becki smile
Re: Greetings from...what'd you think? #153950 01/07/04 01:41 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Since the PO cancellation doesn't always match the city that the lighthouse is actually in or near, how about something more achievable?

Buy your cards and have them STAMPED at the lighthouse using the USLHS rubber stamp? I've gotten a few of these from others in past PCEs.

If you are visiting a lighthouse that is open and buy your cards at their gift shop, I don't think they'd object to your stamping each card with the rubber stamp. (And not charge you the $1 they are supposed to collect for stamping your passport.)

Re: Greetings from...what'd you think? #153951 01/07/04 11:51 AM
Shirin Offline
That is sometimes hard as well John. Many lights still do not have the USLHS passport stamps.

Shirin
Re: Greetings from...what'd you think? #153952 01/07/04 06:42 PM
seagirt Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
That's an idea John, but surprising to hear from you...after all, you ARE Mr. Lighthouse Stickers!

What you could do is get the stamp on the message side and write over it, making the stamp a kind of watermark background. But, alas, there is not a stamp for every lighthouse you can get a postcard for. Also, I don't think they charge you $1, I think you are supposed to put it in the donation jar...or maybe they waive it for me as I am a kid, and they are impressed that I even have a passport with 16 stamps in it. Adults tend to do those kinds of things...I guess I'm just really charming. wink

Becki-Portland would be OK in that scenario. I myself thought Portland Head was in Portland until recently. There must be some other lights that some think are in one town, some another. You could be reasonable--Just don't send them from Lubec or something like that. Worse comes to worse comes to worse, you drop it in someone's mailbox and put the flag up. Of course, I think I'd say that you have to get out quite a bit lighthousing during the year the exchange would last. If you're the kind of person who gets out maybe 1,2,3 times a year to see a couple lights, than this wouldn't be an exchange for you. I'd say you have to see at least around 15 lights/year, +/-. That way, you should be able to send out 5 cards at some point during the year. Just think...you can go to the Outer Banks and knock 4 cards off the tally...do a Challenge and be able to do a minimum of your requisite cards.

Also, you could politely ask the people at the gift shop of the light where you buy the postcards to send them out with their mail to get them postmarked from their town. Hopefully, they'll happily comply. smile

Re: Greetings from...what'd you think? #153953 01/15/04 12:19 AM
seagirt Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
OK...I might take this for a spin...let me know how this info sounds:

START INFO

I'd like to try a new kind of Postcard Exchange, called a "Greetings from". The way this works is that you send each of the five (5) exchange members one (1) postcard from each of five (5) lighthouses. You must also send a card to the Youngers and Connie Small.

Here's the catch -- the postcard must be postmarked with the town the light is located in's postmark. For instance, a Castle Hill postcard must be postmarked from Newport RI. If there are disputes over the location of a light (e.g. Portland Head, Cape Elizabeth or S. Portland?), then any of these are OK.

Also, sometimes a town will send all its mail to a larger sorting facility or the like to be postmarked (i.e. OBX mail is all postmarked from Rocky Mount, NC). That's OK. Rocky Mount is Corolla's or Nags Head's or Buxton's or Ocracoke's postmark.

One thing with this exchange is that you WILL have to slow down while lighthousing to buy, write, and send the cards. If you will not be able to do this, then DO NOT PARTICIPATE. If this exchange will cause you any difficulty, then it is not the exchange for you.

To prevent doubles, you "sign-up" for lights. Before you go on a trip, you see if any of the lights you want to send cards from have already been sent. Then you "claim your stake" in that light a maximum of 3 days before the trip. You are then "locked in" for that light and must send those cards, as long as you can find some. If you are going with other exchange members, then you may each claim some lights. But you may not both send the same light together or apart.

Don't forget, this will be a trial exchange, so it won't go perfect. The exchange will last one year from the time all members have reported recieving the "info packets" that I'll send out, and if all cards are sent before then, the exchange will end and another one will or will not start.

Have fun!

END OF INFO.

So, how does that sound? If there is enough interest, I'll start the exchange ASAP. I can still tweak things, language that seems off or info that should be added or taken away.

Thanks!

Re: Greetings from...what'd you think? #153954 01/15/04 11:11 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Wow! It looks like you will be taking on quite a project, Greg.

A couple of the things you must take into consideration is the fact that many lighthouses are in remote locations without a Post Office nearby; sometimes it is very difficult to locate a postcard of a particular light; often times people go "lighthousing" on Sundays or Holidays when a local Post Office would be closed (if you keep stamps with you, you could eliminate this problem); sometimes a Post Office can be very difficult to find and they are usually in a high traffic area of a town or city making parking difficult at times.

Most of my trips to lights are in the off-season. This makes it easier for me to take pictures of lights without large groups of people hanging around. It may just be my personal preference, but I prefer to do photography work without strangers cluttering the landscape.

I also try to squeeze in as many lights as possible during my journey. Sometimes it's hard enough to get from light to light during the daylight hours without the addition of hunting down a store that sells postcards. I have found that there aren't that many stores that carry postcards. If they do, they don't always have postcards of the various lighthouses in the area.

Perhaps your idea should be altered to reflect the possibility of a "Vacation Post Card Exchange". Many people go to the coast for vacation. There is usually more free time during vacation and most people stay in a central location which would allow for them to do exactly what you have described in your post. I know I always send postcards to my relatives from each port I visit with my boat. I always keep an ample supply of postcard postage stamps on the boat and usually the Marinas have a "out-going" mail box.

I applaud your efforts, and with a little refinement, I think you may have a winner! Count me in!

smile Bob smile

Moderated by  Dave H 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,213 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users