This is in response to questions asked in another thread concerning the post card I used for PCE 27. As I noted in that thread, the post card was 1 of 11 I had produced for the Collectors Reunion. Our original thinking was to purchase commercially produced cards as one of the gifts for participants. Patty suggested we should look at making our own instead. Advantages to this were that we would have very special cards, not ones that folks could buy at the souvenir store in town. I think the finished products turned out pretty nice, though I am a little biased.

Others have had their own cards produced, and they might want to share their experience also. Ron Foster is one person that comes to mind.

Anyway, here is how we got to the finished product:

Once we decided to produce our own cards, I did the good old Google search for various phrases including the words 'post card'. Next step was to visit the web sites that came up in the search. Some were eliminated because I didn't care for the layout of the web site or because they didn't post prices (if you are going to do a web presence, list the prices - that is what people are looking for!)

I narrowed the candidates down to a handful and sent off for samples. Of course, you have to trust that the sample they send is a true sample of their work... The samples I received were all of very good quality: good color; nice heavyweight card stock; well printed. What made the difference in this case was the pricing.

I chose Overnight Prints . I liked the product samples they sent, and the pricing was fantastic. Looking at their site just now, I notice that they have the cards on sale for even a little less than I paid.

The web site gives you instructions as to how to prepare and upload your own files. Paul did any Photoshop work needed on the pictures and prepared the files for the front of the card. I laid out the address side of the cards and wrote the captions that were used. This part I did in Publisher. I started with Publisher 2000 but their site said the file was not compatible when I uploaded it. Switched to Publisher 2002 and had the same problem. Next step was to fire off an email to their help folks as directed on the web site. They told me to send them the files and that they would convert them to a usable format. They officially indicate it might take several days for a response, but I had all the files back very quickly. Doing a final review I noticed a goof in one, uploaded the file and they had it back to me within a couple hours, all set to upload.

Once the cards are uploaded, you can preview what they look like. The checkout was smooth, and the email confirmation I received showed the whole lot of cards, with a thumbnail image of the front and back of each. Shipping worked out to less than 10 bucks per 1000 cards. The cards were in our possession in about a week.

I certainly can not complain about the service and quality. They performed as stated on their web page. I know that based on this experience I would use Overnight again.

When you look at their site, and any others, be very careful to fully read everything. Pricing is often listed for one sided cards. Most post cards are two sided so be sure that is what you are looking at. Quantity is also a very interesting situation. The cost differential between 250 and 500 cards is only 10 bucks. Between 250 and 1000 is only $25. The real surprise is between 3,000 and 4,000 cards - only a ONE dollar difference.

For those not at the Reunion, the cards I had produced were a shot of Mission Point with thumbnails of all the Straits lights arranged in an oval around the card; a close up and a wider shot of Waugoshance (you received the "wide" shot); Grays Reef; White Shoal; St. Helena; Old Mackinac Point; Round Island; Round Island Passage with a bonus Round Island in the background; Poe Reef; and, Fourteen Foot Shoal. The images were taken by myself, Mike Kaiser and Paul Brady.

That's the rest of the story......