Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Recap of Postcard Exchanges #152330 12/09/01 01:34 AM
Tom and Joyce Abbott Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
We thought it might be a good idea to recap the Postcard Exchanges to date. One reason is to be certain all of our cards made it through the mail. The main reason is to thank everyone for the wonderful cards we’ve received. It’s always a pleasant surprise to find these cards in our mailbox.

If you didn’t receive our cards, please let us know and we’ll resend them.

#1, St. John’s Post Card Exchange (no envelope) around September 2000 (12 months?).
We sent postcards. Still missing one in this exchange.

#2, Pharolygst’s Post Card Exchange (no envelope) 10/2000 (4 months?).
We sent postcards and received a card from everyone on the list.

#3, January – June 30, 2001 (no envelope).
We sent postcards. Still missing two in this exchange.

#4, January – June 30, 2001 (in envelope).
We sent postcards. We received a post card from Nancy Younger thanking us for our post card. Still missing three in this exchange.

#5, July – December 31, 2001 (no envelope).
We missed the signup for this exchange.

#6, July – December 31, 2001 (in envelope).
We just sent our cards out. So far we are only missing four in this exchange.

#7, January – April 2002 (no envelope).
We are on this list.

#8, January – April 2002 (in envelope).
We are on this list.

------------------
Tom & Joyce

[This message has been edited by Tom and Joyce Abbott (edited 12-08-2001).]

Tom & Joyce
Re: Recap of Postcard Exchanges #152331 12/09/01 09:20 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks for the update on the exchanges. I keep a lot of postcards in stock so I usually send my cards out right away. I didn't bother keeping track to see if I got a return card from everyone I sent one to.

I haven't signed up for the latest exchange. I felt I've been in all of them and wanted to give someone else a chance to enjoy the fun. If they fall short of the needed 25 people I'll jump right in.

If I was to change anything in the exchanges it would be putting more than one card in the envelope ones. I feel there should be at least 2 or 3 cards in those. The postage is the same.

That's the word from the East Coast where we are covered with 3 inches of snow and it's still coming down. As a matter of fact, the town sander just went by my house. I'm working the Patriots vs Browns game today so it ought to be just lovely out there for 11 hours today.

Bob

Re: Recap of Postcard Exchanges #152332 12/09/01 08:40 PM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
The original exchange (John's) went thru the end of 2000. I received cards from all participants. A couple were "kinda" late.

I didn't do Pharologst's exchange.

PC 3 was 1/1 - 6/30/01. I am missing 2 of 25.

PC 4 was in envelope, 1/1 - 6/30/01. I am missing 3 of 21.

PC 5 runs 7/1 - 12/31/01. I am missing 9 of 25. I know of 5 who should have their cards in the mail any day.

PC 6 in envelope runs 7/1 - 12/31/01. I am missing 6 of 21. I know of 3 who should be in the mail soon.

PC 7 will run 1/1 - 3/31/02 (3 months). It is full.

PC 8 is in envelope and will run 1/1 - 4/30/02 (4 months). As of a few minutes ago there are 2 spots left.

Kind of interesting that you have received different numbers than I have, and I watch the threads to see when people post they have sent their cards. We may need to compare notes.

As I said in another post, lots of great cards have been received. Very few duplicates which is very surprising. Lots of very interesting cards of not-so-well known lights.

Dave

[This message has been edited by Dave H (edited 12-09-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Dave H (edited 12-09-2001).]

Re: Recap of Postcard Exchanges #152333 12/09/01 09:32 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Everyone must take into consideration tht postcards can get lost in the mail. They aren't high on the priority list at the USPS. I had one postcard that came through so badly damaged that it looked like it was put in a food procesor with a dull blade. On the otherhand, if it's the same person not sending cards out but still signing up for the exchanges then that's not right. I would find it hard to believe that any of our regulars would do that. Chalk up your missing cards to "lost in the mail."

Bob

[This message has been edited by Bob M (edited 12-09-2001).]

Re: Recap of Postcard Exchanges #152334 12/09/01 11:04 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
OK, you people who actually kept track of whether you got cards from everyone. (What's that term for these kind of people again?)

If one of those cards you're missing should have come from me, please email me PRIVATELY and tell me which exchange it was. (Envelope/not envelope.)

My picture is already up at the local library for keeping books too long. I don't want the adverse publicity here on the Forums.

I'll follow up with the cards.

webmaster@lighthousekeepers.com

Re: Recap of Postcard Exchanges #152335 12/10/01 12:34 AM
DeDo Offline
Yes, I am one of those people that keep track of the cards I receive. I write the location of the lighthouse on the card next to the senders name on the list. That is how I get confused when I receive a card from someone that I didn't receive from in the last exchange (first months of 2001). Are they late with the earlier one or did they forget they were in both?

My stats so far: (all for no envelope)

1st-received all cards
3rd(early this year)still waiting for four
5th(current to 12/31) still waiting for nine.

Mine are ready to go into the mail tomorrow, good thing, I'm picking up my Christmas cards tomorrow evening, so I'll be busy with getting those 80 or so out.

I do think that Bob has a point, I'm sure some of the cards are lost in the mail. Esp. when the numbers people have or have not received vary so much. I also think that some of the people forget that they signed up or don't realize that it is another exchange.

In my sense of order I must check them off and keep track!

Donna

Re: Recap of Postcard Exchanges #152336 12/10/01 01:04 AM
Tom and Joyce Abbott Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
OK, I do keep a list for each postcard exchange and I do check off the name when the postcard is received. My checkbooks also have to balance right to the penny.

We had just mailed out our postcards in envelopes for exchange #6. I printed out the list of names for that exchange and checked postcards received against the list. I discovered we had a postcard from someone not on the list. Went back to the original list (before all the formatting changes) and sure enough the name was there. Somehow we lost the name when working with the file. If I hadn't checked the list, that person would not have received a postcard. It is now in the mail.

I realize some of the postcards will be lost in the mail, but I would at least like to get them to the post office so there is a chance they will be delivered.

And, the missing ones, I don't really care. I included that figure, because it was a stat I had. For what it's worth, only one name appears more than once on the "missing" list.

Joyce A.

Tom & Joyce
Re: Recap of Postcard Exchanges #152337 12/10/01 02:18 AM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
I keep track of the names so that I know what card I received from whom (especially important with the 'in envelope' exchanges where the cards are not signed.) Should I sometime decide to send a variety of cards I would like to not send a card to someone that they had already sent to me (if that makes sense). I also figure that in each exchange some will become victims of the USPS. Still enjoy the cards we receive and the great variety.

Dave

Re: Recap of Postcard Exchanges #152338 12/10/01 11:57 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Didn't keep track of which ones I was in or who I got them from. I just know I get a lot of nice cards from nice people. While I was Cruise Director of this topic Dave and I kinda kept track through the postings, and gently reminded particpants who were remiss. I tried not to close a PC Exchange until I thought we received them all (with Dave's help.) I agree that the USPS may have eaten, delayed, confiscated, etc. some, especially recently. I did mail out all my pcs, and kept track from my address list that I sent them to everyone in that exchange. If you're missing one from me, please email me, and I'll try to replace it.
- Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Recap of Postcard Exchanges #152339 12/10/01 02:37 PM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
I kinda wonder that if, in this era of the USPS being hurting for $$, some of the local post offices are redecorating with our neat post cards? ! ?

Dave

Re: Recap of Postcard Exchanges #152340 12/10/01 10:10 PM
Beaconfollower Offline
Tom and Joyce in regards to postcard exchange #6, I got your nice letter and card today. I like the idea of a picture and a recipe. Wish I had thought about it before I mailed all mine out. Maybe next time. Thanks again.

Sheryl

Sheryl
Baroness of Beacons
Re: Recap of Postcard Exchanges #152341 12/10/01 11:44 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Hi Tom & Joyce, ...I also receive your card and the recipe, thanks. I immediately transferred the recipe to the "chief cook & bottle washer" of the family. Who said I gave it to myself?

Bob

Moderated by  Dave H 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Dave H, Rock), 1,505 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users