Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Inventory #15033 01/01/09 08:10 PM
Cyndi Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
In the interest of getting my HL collection better organized. I have decided to try and do an inventory of all of my pieces. And to try and get everything in one piece (my 2009 goal). All of my HLs that do not fit in curios right now are stacked up in my office awaiting a curio. But the empty boxes I am sorry to say are half in the attic and half in a storage unit. I want to get all of the boxes moved to one location. In the process of doing this I would like to do an inventory of what I have.

I would appreciate some suggestions as to the best way to do this and what information should be included. Also what would be a good program to use on my computer for doing this inventory. I recieved a new Dell for Christmas that has Windows Vista. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cyndi
Re: Inventory #15034 01/01/09 09:17 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Funny you should mention "inventory". I was thinking of doing an inventory of what I have in stock so I can better serve those collectors who inquire what I have that they may be interested in.

This could be a good time because I've sold numerous pieces and once again, a good percentage of my inventory is pulled out. Besides that, my oil burner people want to service my burner and they will need to change the filter on my oil tank. That requires me pulling a lot of HL's that block the path to my tank. I really need to reduce the amount of HL's I have in stock and get a good handle on what I have left.

smile Bob

Re: Inventory #15035 01/01/09 09:36 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I track my collection with an Excel spreadsheet.

I log name, HL number, year, original price, purchase price, purchased from, state, area of country, has original box, has tent card, has COA, if signed, type of HL(LE, GLOW, AB), piece number, and if displayed or not.

I've setup a few formulas to total states, years, and type.

It's been most helpful.

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Inventory #15036 01/02/09 12:22 AM
Shortcake Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
See... Bill isn't the only one with invantory problems!

I also use an Excel Spreadsheet. I have mine set up (left to right) HL number, name, state, flag number, a colom for notes (green water, with rod, etc.), price paid, type of HL (LE, GLOW, LL, AB, etc.), retiremant date, estamated current value (for insurance purpuse). This is all done (top to bottom) in numarical order of product number.

Stephanie

God may have created man before woman,
but there is always a rough draft before the masterpiece.
Re: Inventory #15037 01/02/09 12:55 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
I also use a Excel Spreadsheet.
I list HL number, the lighthouse name, It's production number, price I paid, insurance value, who I purchased it from, and if signed.
Haven kept up with it very well. I also need to update mine.

DANIEL
Re: Inventory #15038 01/02/09 12:10 PM
CAVR Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I think using a speadsheet, like Excel, is the way to go especially for quickly adding up total numbers, like how many pieces you have, how much you have spent (Yikes) or how much you entire collection is worth. I just figured out how much money I spent over the years for figuring out my "net worth" and I almost had a stroke. WOW, the numbers add up fast.

I use the following headers in my spreadsheet (from L to R): HL ID No., Lighthouse Name, SRP, Price Paid, Intro. Year, Retirement Year, Edition, Flag Number, Signed, Registered with HLs

-Christopher
"CAVR"
Re: Inventory #15039 01/03/09 11:37 AM
T
TerryO Offline
Wacko
Wacko
T
I just use Microsoft word, and the only reason I made the list was so I could see at a glance what I had, and to keep me from buying duplicates. I have done this several times.

Re: Inventory #15040 01/03/09 11:53 AM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
I use Microsoft Word also. I have all my information listed in a paragraph format listing: HL#, Name, State, Limited Edition Info.(Signed, Society, In-Store, Reunion, Event Name, etc.), Serial Number/Edition Size, Released Date, Retired Date, Retail Value, Price Paid, Secondary Market Value, Container Box Stored In.

I have all my lighthouses with this information arranged alphebetically by regions(Northern, Southern, Great Lakes, Gulf, Western, International, Christmas, Society, Glows and Miscellaneous(Anchor Bay, LLOMs, Lens, etc.).

This format works for me because when I add to an area I only update and print that area. I also find it is easier to look up a piece by it's name rather then it's number.

Rich

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,415 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users