Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Remember the Boy Scouts #14978 01/24/01 11:53 AM
Cana Fan Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
With all of the bad press the Boy Scouts of America have gotten of late, it's great to read a story like that of St. Helena lighthouse. When you take put the politics aside, what you have is an organization that puts young men on the right path to becoming good citizens. If nothing else, as a lighthouse lover, you've got to appriciate the work they've done on St. Helena, as well as Round Island MI. These are just a couple of the stories we as lighthouse fans get to here. There are thousands of other stories of good things the Boy Scouts do that get overshadowed.
Because of the bad press of late, the Boy Scouts have lost a great deal of corporate sponsorship. When you're writing out you're donation checks to lighthouse organizations, remember the Boy Scouts. You might be saving another lighthouse along the way.

Re: Remember the Boy Scouts #14979 01/24/01 02:03 PM
Torchbearer Offline
Most definitely Cana... I appreciate the efforts of the Boy Scouts, not only in their lighthousing projects, but others as well. After spending years as a scout myself, I can appreciate the many community related projects that took place.

Tim - Keeping the flame lit...

Re: Remember the Boy Scouts #14980 01/24/01 03:25 PM
Bill Harnsberger Offline
At the local level, I think Scouting is phenomenal. The prejudice just isn't there. It's about comraderie and teamwork and learning new skills that help build character. The troops involved in lighthouse preservation deserve special mention.

At the national level, however, there is a pompous, elitist attitude that besmirches the Scouting name. They kicked me out because of who I am. My Eagle badge no longer counts. My name, which once stood proudly next to my brother's and my dad's (both Eagle Scouts themselves), has been erased from the Scouting records.

When I joined the Scouts, no one ever sat me down and explained to me that some boys were more equal than others (for a few years, my dad was my Scoutmaster---now wouldn't that have been an interesting father/son chat). It never came up in the 6 years I belonged to Troops 162 and 339.

Not meaning to rain on anyone's parade---certainly not yours, Cana Fan (Please read my first paragraph again). Just a little perspective from one who's been on the receiving end of a kind of injustice that I still am unable to comprehend.

[This message has been edited by Bill Harnsberger (edited 01-24-2001).]

Re: Remember the Boy Scouts #14981 01/24/01 09:12 PM
Brent Offline
I was a Scout....way back in the late 50's. 'Never made it to Eagle but was very close (Life). I had the time of my life and still, to this day, thank my lucky charms that I had the opportunity to be one!! Its a tremendous organization that does so much good....and I thank you, Cana, for chosing the "Topic"!!

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 929 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users