Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Thomas Point Lighthouse model kit available #14894 09/20/99 11:06 PM
B
Bob Steinbrunn Offline OP
OP Offline
B
As a model ship builder I get all kinds of catalogs relative to the hobby. One came today with a surprising item which may be of some interest to the crafty members of this forum.

This is a small tool and hobby supply catalog published by Micro-Mark in Berkeley Heights, NJ. (http://www.micromark.com) 800-225-1066.

On page 83 there appears, and I quote:

"HO scale Thomas Point Lighthouse Kit

The Thomas Point is the only screw-pile lighthouse standing in its original position in Cheaspeake Bay. This great new kit by Precision Lasercraft has laser-cut walls, windows, doors, decks, plus etched brass railings, a styrene and metal support structure and cast-metal detail parts. Tab-and-slot construction, color photos, detailed drawings and complete instructions make assembly easy. Also includes an electronic beacon flasher with power supply. #82233 Thomas Point Lighthouse, List $100.00, our price $89.95."

For those unfamiliar with model train scales, HO is about 1/87, where the model is 87 times smaller than the original.

Another way to visualize this scale is that slightly more than 1/8 of an inch on the model equals one foot on the original.

Without knowing the scale of the Harbour Lights Signature Series Thomas Point Lighthouse, but being familiar with HO scale, I'd say the model kit is about the same approximate size.

The small color photo in the catalog shows the model kit to be much more highly detailed than the HL one (no criticism real or implied here, just an observation), with vents, antennae, smoke stack, and so on.

If you're not a model builder, be aware that the quality of a finished kit often lies with the builder and his skills, and the best of kits is no guarantee that your final product will be something you'll be proud of. But if you have the skills and patience (mostly patience), then it probably will be.

------------------
Bob Steinbrunn
Nautical Research Guild

[This message has been edited by Bob Steinbrunn (edited 09-21-99).]

Bob Steinbrunn
Nautical Research Guild
Re: Thomas Point Lighthouse model kit available #14895 09/21/99 01:26 AM
W
wclark Offline
W
Appreciate the info Bob. Will check into this kit further.

Warren

Re: Thomas Point Lighthouse model kit available #14896 09/21/99 02:07 AM
L
ladylightkeeper Offline
L
Bob: You don't know how thrilled I was to read your posting here. My husband, Henry, who is a big HL collector (he just doesn't have time to do much posting right now) is also into HO scale RR in a big, big way. He helped to start a model RR club where we live in a small town in MS. He was born and raised in GLen Burnie, MD,--- that's Chesapeake Bay territory and was familiar with Thomas Point. A few years back we were heading from MS to my home state of WI, and I had heard of something called the Rosemont Collectible Show. So we stopped off for a few hours when traveling through the Chicago area. Looked at the HL booth, actually met Bill, walked around for awhile -- and came back to the booth and oohed and aahed over the Thomas Point. He told me there that it was a familiar light for him. But we both walked out saying no way, we don't want to get stuck into collecting ANYTHING.

Well, I needed a Christmas present for him that winter, and I got him the Thomas Point. Was this a mistake?! We both became adddicted with the beauty of this piece and circled all the dealers on the map for the route for next winter's trip to FL and came home with a car load. Unfortunately we got into it about a year too late, and missed out on the very first ones which are now so valuable. But we still love what we could find.

I am forwarding this thread on to him, as I am sure he will be interested in getting the kit and adding a lighthouse to his RR layout. Thanks for thinking of Model RR people.

Barbara

ladylightkeeper
Re: Thomas Point Lighthouse model kit available #14897 09/21/99 08:06 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Barbara:

You're quite welcome for the post! Since forum members seem to be so diverse and with multiple interests I thought the TPL model kit might appeal to someone.

I received an off-line e-mail from Henry the other day and he sounds like a busy guy. If he DOES buy the kit and builds it, perhaps you can prevail upon him to post some photos here so that we all can enjoy his craftsmanship.

Best,

------------------
Bob Steinbrunn
Nautical Research Guild

Bob Steinbrunn
Nautical Research Guild
Re: Thomas Point Lighthouse model kit available #14898 09/28/99 01:53 AM
Rusty Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Bob,
Thanks for the post, I often wondered if anyone was offering models of some of the lighthouses. Will be curious to take a look at it.

Rusty

Re: Thomas Point Lighthouse model kit available #14899 09/28/99 02:03 AM
B
OP Offline
B
Rusty:

If you end up being interested to the point where you order and then build the model, you should be advised that, as a pastor, you have a moral obligation to post photos of the completed item on this forum as a sort of "guiding light" to us lesser folk! :-)

------------------
Bob Steinbrunn
Nautical Research Guild

Bob Steinbrunn
Nautical Research Guild
Re: Thomas Point Lighthouse model kit available #14900 10/01/99 11:27 PM
F
foghornkeeper Offline
F
As a model railroader in HO scale I saw your post and the next day received my MicroMark catalogue and af course immediately looked for the Thomas Point model. It looks like a very nice kit. Now I'll have to make a decision-do I buy this kit or another Hl Statuette.
There are also a few other Ho scale lighthouse kits available; Old Saybrook, CT and one called Sparrow Point, but this one is not a replica of an existing lighthouse. Most HO modelers try to strive for exacting realism in structures that they build for their layouts, so I would expect that this kit would be an exacting replica to the prototype.
foghornkeeper

foghornkeeper
Re: Thomas Point Lighthouse model kit available #14901 10/03/99 12:15 AM
Rusty Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Bob,
Gotcha, if I ever do build one, i promise to put the picture on, and by the way, there are no lesser people on this site!

Rusty

Re: Thomas Point Lighthouse model kit available #14902 10/18/99 06:19 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Micro-Mark website also indicates they have Colchester Reef. Surf around for the best prices on these models as some sites offer substantial discounts from retail. "Builders-In-Scale" also offers a lighthouse. "Blue Jacket has one that they claim is based on W. Quoddy.

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 900 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users