Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
More Old Postcards #148629 04/02/07 11:13 PM
grandmaR Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
I've found some more old postcards but the other thread got a little long, so I'm starting another one.

This is another one of Highland Light which has not been mailed

This is Cape May, which was mailed to my grandmother in Sept 1947 with a penny stamp

The writer says "It is lovely here now. We go home soon. I hope you are well. I am better but not what I would like to be."

This is Nobska Light - another one that hasn't been mailed - from an angle that I'm not familiar with.

This is Cape Florida Light

My grandfather send the card to my grandmother in 1925

Re: More Old Postcards #148630 04/02/07 11:27 PM
grandmaR Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
The other pictures that I have are all of the Statue of Liberty, and none of them have been mailed.

There was a tiny packet of pictures of NYC which could have been mailed for 1.5 cents. Most of them were of Miss Liberty

The others are

Re: More Old Postcards #148631 04/05/07 11:23 PM
grandmaR Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Here is the Oregon Inlet Life Saving Station and crew

My grandfather sent this card to my grandmother in care of his father in August 1908. This would have been just before she got pregnant with my mom who was born in July 1909.

Since I was scanning all black and white postcards at this point, I scanned the back in gray scale too - the stamp is really green of course.

This is the current Coast Guard Station at Oregon Inlet.

Re: More Old Postcards #148632 04/05/07 11:29 PM
grandmaR Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
This is the front and back of the card my grandfather sent (also from Manteo in 1908) of Bodie Island Light

And for comparison, here is my photo taken in 2004 in December.

And this is Bodie Light from Oregon Inlet

Re: More Old Postcards #148633 04/05/07 11:49 PM
grandmaR Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Diamond Shoal Lightship postcard - again mailed by my grandfather from Manteo in August 1908

The legend says that the Lightship was wrecked on Cape Hatteras in August 1899.

This is a wreck from N.J. - this card was stamped but never mailed.

It says the "Sindia" wrecked on the beach at Ocean City, N.J., December 27, 1901.

And here is Hatteras

This one was mailed from Elizabeth City in August 1908. My grandfather says that he "Was up to the top of this, the finest light house in America, lens cost $15,000."

Re: More Old Postcards #148634 04/06/07 10:30 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
I love those old postcards! Keep 'm coming Rosalie.
Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: More Old Postcards #148635 04/06/07 11:45 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Great postcards!!!

Especially find the Diamond Shoal and Sindia ones interesting. cool

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: More Old Postcards #148636 04/06/07 11:46 AM
Lighthouse Duo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I second that ... they are fantastic!

Please don't stop scanning!!!! applaud

Margret
Lighthouse Duo
Live Love Laugh ...
Re: More Old Postcards #148637 04/06/07 12:03 PM
grandmaR Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
My grandfather's report that he climbed Hatteras in 1908 was especially interesting to me. I am presuming that it was before it was moved.

I have lots and LOTS of other cards - I found these in a post card album. But most of the cards are not of lighthouses. So I can't keep posting them unless I post some non-lighthouse ones.

Like this one - I have no idea what this is although it was mailed in Philadelphia

I was thinking of whether I ought to sell some of the cards, but the prices that I see on the internet are not spectacular. Someone said that they had seen them go at auction for $30.00 each. But I don't know anything about the market or which are the rare ones.

Re: More Old Postcards #148638 04/06/07 01:08 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Please keep scanning and sharing, Rosalie. They are wonderful for seeing the "before" and "now".

Quote:
My grandfather's report that he climbed Hatteras in 1908 was especially interesting to me. I am presuming that it was before it was moved.
In 1908, your grandfather climbed 257 steps up plus one down. Another 11 steps would have taken him to the lantern platform but visitors were not allowed there.

When your grandfather visited in 1908, the lh had a First Fresnel. Today, it is lit by an electric beacon that rotates like an airport aero beacon.

The tower and buildings were moved to the present location in 1999 by International Chimney Corporation.

Judy

Judy
Re: More Old Postcards #148639 04/06/07 05:06 PM
BeaconBob Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Those are some great old postcards. I have some replicated old postcards that I picked up while at Indian River LSS. They are pretty neat. I just haven't figured out how to post an image here on the CF yet.

Keep 'em coming!

Bob J ~ 65 Lighthouses, 2 Lightships, 25 Life Saving Stations Visited ~
"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
John 8:12
Re: More Old Postcards #148640 04/06/07 06:50 PM
grandmaR Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by BeaconBob:
Those are some great old postcards. I have some replicated old postcards that I picked up while at Indian River LSS.
They are pretty neat. I just haven't figured out how to post an image here on the CF yet.

Keep 'em coming!
I read the directions for doing it, and managed to post my avatar that way, but it is way too complicated for me,
so I've developed a work-around which probably is as convoluted, but works well for me.

If the cards are over 50 years old and are of a place which I have visited, like Woods Hole, Hatteras, Philadelphia
or Valencia (where the next America's Cup will be held). This is the Avenas Beach in Valencia from 1964.

then I post the postcard like this one on my Virtual Tourist pages, where I also post all my own photos of my travels.

My Virtual Tourist Home Page Incidentally all the U.S. lighthouses that I've visited are undre the United States "Off the Beaten Track"

If the card is from a place where I have NOT been, or in this case where I don't know where the building is
(although I suspect Philadelphia - does anyone recognize this place?)

Then a post it on another forum which allows me to directly upload one photo at a time if it is under 150000 bytes.

And in this case, someone else posted if for me (with my permission.

You can also go to one of those photo hosting sites, but I can't see those photos, so I don't do that. I do put the photos up on the Photoworks website,
but that's mainly as a backup for me, and also so I can give people the URL for a whole album so that they can see a whole series of pictures.

Re: More Old Postcards #148641 04/07/07 01:42 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
If you want to discuss how to post photos, please take that discussion to the "Forum about these forums" and we will be more than happy to discuss and offer guidance as to how to easily post photos here. Some of the reasons things are done as they are is to avoid very large files and excessively wide or tall images from being used.

Re: More Old Postcards #148642 04/07/07 02:07 PM
grandmaR Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
I don't want to discuss posting photos here through this site. I tried it, and I didn't like it. It was too complicated.

The questions I wanted answered, which have not been addressed at all is -

1) I don't have a lot of old LIGHTHOUSE postcards, but I do have a lot of other old postcards. Does anyone want to have the non-lighthouse postcards posted?

2) Can I or should I sell the lighthouse postcards that I have, and would this site be appropriate to do that?

Re: More Old Postcards #148643 04/07/07 02:24 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I can only answer for myself, but I would just be interested in seeing the old lighthouse cards and related, i.e., lifesaving stations here.

As far as selling here, I believe the rules are that the selling must be from within the Trading Post section, and that anything sold there must be Harbour Lights or Harbour Lights related. There are other formats for selling postcards, and perhaps some of the postcard collectors on the site can offer some tips.

Also, the card of Dismal Swamp, SC is a really neat card, but the image is much larger than we are allowed to post.

Hope this is of some help.

Judy

Judy
Re: More Old Postcards #148644 04/07/07 07:23 PM
grandmaR Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by Lighthouser:
I can only answer for myself, but I would just be interested in seeing the old lighthouse cards and related, i.e., lifesaving stations here.

As far as selling here, I believe the rules are that the selling must be from within the Trading Post section, and that anything sold there must be Harbour Lights or Harbour Lights related. There are other formats for selling postcards, and perhaps some of the postcard collectors on the site can offer some tips.

Also, the card of Dismal Swamp, SC is a really neat card, but the image is much larger than we are allowed to post.

Hope this is of some help.

Judy
Yes that is helpful.

As far as the non-lighthouse postcards were concerned, I am glad to have that confirmed. That was kind of what I thought.

I didn't know about the Harbor Lights related requirement (although I don't know how closely it has to be related - can it be items where there are Harbor Lights lighthouses? Or just the lighthouses themselves?). I'm not really interested in Harbor Lights at all. I just like lighthouses. I hope that doesn't disqualify me for participating here.

As far as the Dismal Swamp picture goes, I don't know how I can change the size of a picture that is on someone else's website, which is where the Dismal Swamp picture came from. I gave it to them to post, and that's what they did with it.

Re: More Old Postcards #148645 04/07/07 10:27 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Let's close this thread and open one under the Forum on Forums to discuss what kinds of pictures, post cards, etc. to post. This one got off track.

Moderated by  Dave H 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 832 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users