Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Major Announcement From Harbour Lights #14611 12/08/05 08:56 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Harbour Lights announced today that it has been sold to Lighthouse Marketing Ltd, West Kennebunk Maine. Lighthouse Marketing is the parent company to Lighthouse Depot of Wells Maine.

You can read the annoucement from Harbour Lights at their website: CLICK HERE

Letters have been sent to collectors from Harbour Lights and should be arriving in the next few days.

The President of Lighthouse Marketing is Collector Forums member and Harbour Lights collector Don Devine.

I've invited Don to post a first response to this news on our Forums.

Re: Major Announcement From Harbour Lights #14612 12/08/05 08:59 PM
D
Don Devine Offline
D
I am very excited to be in a position to carry on the traditions and craftsmanship of Harbour Lights. As Bill has noted, I have been a long-time collector myself – in fact I started collecting Harbour Lights before founding Lighthouse Depot in 1994.

I feel honored to be entrusted with maintaining and building on the Harbour Lights' reputation for high quality replicas and a strong loyalty among its collectors. I realize the importance of being responsive to the questions, suggestions, and complaints from collectors who are the lifeline of the business.

Bill and Nancy Younger are dear friends of mine and have agreed to continue to be spokespersons for Harbour Lights and continue to make appearances at in-store and regional events.

Bill and Nancy, together with Kim Andrews, are making the transition very smooth. We will begin receiving the products from Asia and California at our West Kennebunk location around mid-January with shipments starting in early February. Kathy Dowling will be moving to Maine to head up the Harbour Lights Customer Service area. The 800-365-1219 will switch over to our location after the first of the year.

Harry Hine will remain in Southern California, but will still be 100% responsible for the designs and the oversight of the sculpting and production of Harbour Lights as an employee of Lighthouse Marketing.

I look forward to working with all the existing Harbour Lights dealers throughout the United States and encourage collectors to continue to purchase from their local dealer. Dealers will continue to receive their autoship numbers as in the past.

I welcome your comments, ideas, and suggestions by email, mail, or phone.

Don

Re: Major Announcement From Harbour Lights #14613 12/08/05 09:17 PM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
Congratulations, Don, on your decision. I am confident that you will continue to grow the Harbour Lights line while maintaining the quality and detail we are all used to. As a collector I am sure you have many ideas that will work their way into the line, and I'm sure many of us will be sharing ideas and thoughts with you.

Looking forward to the coming months and your involvement.

Re: Major Announcement From Harbour Lights #14614 12/08/05 10:09 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Congatulations Don! I hope that your company will continue along the same lines as Bill and Nancy did. They produced a top quality product with wonderful customer service relations. I only ask that you do not overproduce the LE line by flooding the market with both too many introductions in a year and too high an edition size of what you introduce. I know that Harbour Lights will continue to be the top knotch company it is if it is run anywhere as good as the Lighthouse Depot is run.

I will continue to buy all Limited Editions, Anchor Bays and Lenses as long as nothing changes with my autoship number or dealer.

Rich
Re: Major Announcement From Harbour Lights #14615 12/08/05 10:18 PM
R
ropetrick Offline
R
Congratulations to Bill and Nancy! We can't think of two nicer or harder-working people who deserve a long, happy, and healthy retirement.

Dan & Toni

Re: Major Announcement From Harbour Lights #14616 12/08/05 10:22 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Let me sit down for a moment. Okay I'm seated. Harbour Lights is no longer under the control of the Younger Family? Now that's a shocker to say the least. I didn't see that one coming.

Welcome aboard, Don. You will have my support as a collector as long as I receive my autoship number as I do now, and your new endeavor produces the same quality product we have all come to love from the Younger Family.

I buy one of every limited edition lighthouse, Anchor Bay Boats, and the lenses. I will continue to do just that.

smile Bob smile

Re: Major Announcement From Harbour Lights #14617 12/08/05 11:04 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Welcome to the forums, Don, and congratulations on today's news with Harbour Lights... When Bill called me today with the news, I told him I couldn't think of a better fit..

Your love of lighthouses is obvious and your great business sense is well known, also.. Bill said the transition would be seamless with Harry's involvement in production and Kathy's continued involvement in customer service.

I know that you realize the respect the collectors have for the Younger family, your being a part of that extended family...and that you will continue that relationship with the collectors...

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Major Announcement From Harbour Lights #14618 12/09/05 03:12 AM
beachcomber Offline
Welcome to the forums, Don, and congratulations on your affiliation with HL. I am very happy for the Youngers; it is time they had more time for themselves. All of us on the forums have opinions about what we like and don't like (at times) in the product line. This is a very good source of suggestions and ideas for you. I don't pretend to be one of those who can do that. I am sure you already know who can be instrumental in providing information from the collectors' perspectives. One request from me: please continue the reunions. One concern: we are losing dealers all over the Houston area. That said, I wish you the best of luck with HL.

beachcomber
Re: Major Announcement From Harbour Lights #14619 12/09/05 11:38 AM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
WOW! eek
Glad to hear the good things about the new owner smile and that the Youngers will still be involved part-time. smile

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: Major Announcement From Harbour Lights #14620 12/09/05 02:44 PM
Lighthouse Duo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Good luck to the Youngers and much success to Don!

We - personally - hope that HL comes this side of the big pond a bit more and a bit easier.

Margret
Lighthouse Duo
Live Love Laugh ...
Re: Major Announcement From Harbour Lights #14621 12/09/05 03:09 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I've edited this post because of some other responses- all statements I make in this post are purely speculative and my own personal opinion. I don't know anymore than the average collector.

I can't say I'm totally surprised. The relationship between HL and Lighthouse Depot has become more entwined over the past several years.

I hope it works out well for all involved- and especially that Bill & Nancy can get their well deserved break from all those responsibilities.

I predict within a fairly short time major announcements will be made- I wouldn't be surprised if one of the first was to announce the dissolution of the dealer's network and the sale of HL solely from a catalog and website.

Dennis

Re: Major Announcement From Harbour Lights #14622 12/09/05 03:33 PM
C
ctlights Offline
C
I also agree that we will see the dealer network eliminated with Lighthouse Depot having exclusive sales. This removes the middle-man, who paid a wholesale price of 50% of the retail value.

Personally, I'm not sorry to see one of the Younger family members out of the picture and hopefully now we can look forward to more Maine and California (i.e. Point Vicente, Sur and Bonita) sculptures released.

Re: Major Announcement From Harbour Lights #14623 12/09/05 03:53 PM
R
rgurskey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
R
Quote:
I predict within a fairly short time major announcements will be made- I wouldn't be surprised if one of the first was to announce the dissolution of the dealer's network and the sale of HL solely from a catalog and website.
And I'll go out on a limb, and based on my experience with David Winter cottages, and say that Harbour Lights will no longer exist five years from now.

Re: Major Announcement From Harbour Lights #14624 12/09/05 04:13 PM
beachcomber Offline
I agree with Dennis about the closer relationship with Lighthouse Depot in recent times and add that a distancing, or an aloofness, from the customer had also developed. Perhaps that had to do with the one person whom not many of us will miss. Unfortunately, my immediate feeling was that HL will disappear in the next few years. That would be an incredible loss for all of us. Hopefully, Don will work to ensure that does not happen.

beachcomber
Re: Major Announcement From Harbour Lights #14625 12/09/05 04:54 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
If as you predict that the dealers will disappear and Lighthouse Depot will take over, I am afraid that I would have to give up the ghost, so to speak, and give up the collecting of these beauties. I cannot see spending the extremely high shipping costs that Lighthouse Depot charges. I will wait and see what happens.

Rich
Re: Major Announcement From Harbour Lights #14626 12/09/05 05:05 PM
beachcomber Offline
For some of us that would mean, not only the additional shipping costs, but also no layaway.

beachcomber
Re: Major Announcement From Harbour Lights #14627 12/09/05 05:05 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Let's not let one person's 'crystal ball gazing' be an assumed fact. Harbour Lights dealer network is part of the value of the company to the new owner.

Lighthouse Depot has two retail outlets besides the catalog. They do not sell anywhere near a majority of Harbour Lights. They probably sell more than any other single retailer (I don't know for sure.)

Don certainly recognizes that collectors have relationships with existing dealers and that 'seeing and touching' is part of the process of buying for most of us. We're not all going to be driving to Wells or Rockland to see them in the Lighthouse Depot stores.

The rep network remains in place and the retail dealerships will remain in place. Are some dealers nervous that a 'competitor' has bought the company? Probably. Perhaps one reason Kathy Dowling is making the move to Maine is to reassure dealers that their service will continue to be needed.

Re: Major Announcement From Harbour Lights #14628 12/09/05 05:23 PM
sandy Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Having trouble getting on HL web site. "Operation timed out while . . . ." appears on screen using John's link above, Explorer, and FireFox. Has site crashed?

I'm thinking HL products (pre-Lighthouse Depot ownership) will become more valuable. I'm also impressed of the level of service I've received over the years from Lighthouse Depot. I don't see them continuing to use their present shipper if sales of HL pieces drops off.

Will the Harbour Lights name be on LD pieces? If it isn't included in the sale, I'm even more convinced that the HL pieces we have now will become more valuable.

Anybody care to share the name of the person and the reason(s) s/he is disliked? Just curious.

Also, where do an updated Product History and seahorse link stand? It sure would be a feather in Lighthouse Depot's hat if they pull both of those missed features together.

Sandy

Re: Major Announcement From Harbour Lights #14629 12/09/05 05:26 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Not only do I agree with what John has posted, but I think this will actually open up retail outlets to Don for other products produced by "Lighthouse Depot".. Bill said when we talked yesterday that the first people contacted yesterday were the rep firms and then the to twenty or so stores that sell Harbour lights, assuring them of a smooth transition.

Sandy, the Harbour Lights name will continue on the lighthouses that Harry designs and produces with the same factory and the same artists..

I really don't feel this is the proper place for airing dirty laundry.. Email would probably be a better form for that if a person to privately.

I tend to take the positive point of view when it comes to change and most of the time it turns out well for me!

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Major Announcement From Harbour Lights #14630 12/09/05 05:35 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I would think that Don would not do anything to jeapordize the dealers that are already in place. This may be a very good move for all of us. Really took me by surprize.

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Major Announcement From Harbour Lights #14631 12/09/05 05:44 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Paul,

I agree about the dirty laundry part of it.

I also intended my comments as purely speculation based upon past practices and things that have already occurred as well as things that were previously discussed here long before the sale announcement was made.

I am sure that all the reps and retailers have been assured that it will be a smooth transition and that things will not change right now.

I personally believe that there will be wholesale (and retail :-) ) changes made to how things are done.

Change is inevitable in anything and we all have noticed the small changes that have happened over the past year or two with HL and I expect that to continue- some changes will be good, some not so good and some will be somewhere in the middle.

I want to repeat- I'm not being negative about this development. I believe that the person and company that HL was sold to are qualified to keep things moving along. I just expect changes.

These are my personal opinions only and I could be 100% incorrect in my thoughts- I never intended them to be taken as factual statements.

Dennis

Re: Major Announcement From Harbour Lights #14632 12/09/05 05:50 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Quote:
Originally posted by MtnHkr:
I would not think that Don would [b]not do anything to jeapordize the dealers that are already in place. This may be a very good move for all of us. Really took me by surprize. [/b]
That double-negative in there throws me. I think you meant that you "...would think that Don would NOT do anything..."

Re: Major Announcement From Harbour Lights #14633 12/09/05 07:19 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Thank you John! I stand corrected and so is my previous post. A great reminder about proof reading my posts before posting. Thanks again!

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Major Announcement From Harbour Lights #14634 12/09/05 07:32 PM
Danny Offline
Wacko
Wacko
If the dealer is edged out of the picture and I can no longer inspect the new pieces for condition, I will definitely discontinue collecting. I have already received two damaged pieces from Lighthouse Depot [which they made right], but at the expense of postage and extreme vexation. Eliminating the dealer would also eliminate the relatively low edition numbers that my dealer now receives, having worked his way up through the ranks for all of these years.

So...No dealers...No deal.

Danny

Re: Major Announcement From Harbour Lights #14635 12/09/05 07:49 PM
shiulong Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I was sad frown when Bill called and told me of the change. However, by the end of the conversation I was happy for him and Nancy and wished them both good health. I also pitched an idea for a grand Texas get-together at Matagorda (newly renovated and very striking) with all the Texas Clubs. There are three (3) now in existence. He received that with a very positive attitude. You see they missed Texas this year but after his first stroke I thought that may happen and things would slow down some. I am willing to give Don all the support I can from Houston. After all he knows about the forum and sent a note. That’s Aces in my book. Maybe we could get Don to join us at Matagorda.

Chuck
laugh

bigdragon
Re: Major Announcement From Harbour Lights #14636 12/09/05 08:25 PM
Digger Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
But are they still gonna make the Mackinaw?????? confused wink

Congrats go out to Bill and Nancy, they deserve this opportunity to sit back a relax. But will they? wink laugh

Whatever happens, it was a fun and exciting ride, lifelong memories and friendships were created and through the numerous clubs that now exist, these relationships and future memories will continue. Will harbour Lights survive? We can only hope and I guess time will tell. Even though I have given up collecting their products, I still wish only the best for Harbour Lights, it's employees, friends, dealers and new owner.

Re: Major Announcement From Harbour Lights #14637 12/09/05 09:37 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What a warm reception from the forums, The ink's not even dry on the deal yet and some of you guys are out shopping for a headstone for Harbour Lights. Anyone consider that Don Might have plans on improving Harbour Lights? Since he is a Collector also maybe he has or had the same concerns as the rest of us. Give Don a chance!

Re: Major Announcement From Harbour Lights #14638 12/09/05 10:37 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Mark - I think that quite a few members of the Forum are not happy with what has happened over the last year or so with Harbour Lights management rather then the products. I think that is what is being felt here.

I for one will continue to collect the LEs, Anchor Bays and lenses until such time as I decide it is time to quit collecting. I will support Don 100% until such time that I decide to quit collecting. That may be 1 year or 20 years. I feel in my heart that this was a right decision based on several things observed at the HL company over the past year and now maybe these inconsistancies will disappear. We must all sit back and assume that all will be well in Harbour Lights Land and that is the way I feel now.

Rich
Re: Major Announcement From Harbour Lights #14639 12/10/05 12:23 AM
Gary Toth Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Don, congratulations on the acquisition. It looks like an excellent fit - your businesses should be very complementary to each other. We wish you the best of luck.

Gary and Kay

Re: Major Announcement From Harbour Lights #14640 12/10/05 02:00 AM
MelJB Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Congratulations Don! As a fellow collector, I have to believe that you can only follow in the same tradition of Bill and produce wonderful lighthouses for the people that love them. This man was Bill's, Nancy's and Kim's choice to take over the company. I firmly believe that they thought long and hard about the person that would manage the company that they worked so hard to build.

I must say I was quite surprised when I had a voicemail from Bill. Foolish me, I thought maybe I had won a Gold or something lol.

Change is hard to accept, there is all that unknown out there...but we still have Harry heading up design and Kathy in charge of customer service, so IMO we still have some "knowns" here.

Bill and Nancy deserve the opportunity to relax, and without having to handle the "day to day" running the business activities it would seem to me this gives them the chance to do that. I personally am looking forward to being able to retire. And no matter how much I will miss frown them, they deserve that as well. But, they are going to continue to see us at lighthouse events. A "Win/Win" for everybody in my mind smile

I look forward to seeing what new and exciting things Don has in mind for the HL brand. And as long as he continues to produce lighthouses with the same high quality and that authentic look, I will continue to buy them. If nothing, it should be an exciting 2006.

Melody
Re: Major Announcement From Harbour Lights #14641 12/10/05 11:07 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
There is certainly a lot of "food-for-thought" being hashed out in this thread. I think it would be a disservice to everyone if we start jumping to conclusions.

The first introductions for 2006 have been announced and I would expect they will be sold and delivered through the normal network of dealers. Any change from that process may raise some eyebrows from current collectors.

Many of us have an agreement with one dealer, or another, and any change from that routine could lead to the end of that relationship. We are creatures of habit that are accustomed to certain ways of doing business and any change may effect our previous business relationships adversely, by choice or chance.

The only way I can actually see the serious collectors dropping out would be messing with their autoship numbers. I must admit that I purchase one of everything because of my autoship number. If I were to lose that number I would probably shift my collective gears and only buy those pieces I really like. The other benefit I wouldn't want to lose is free shipping and no sales tax. Time will tell if there will be changes that turn this smile to this frown , or hopefully this laugh .

smile Bob smile

Re: Major Announcement From Harbour Lights #14642 12/10/05 01:19 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't anticipate too many changes for the first year but would not be surprised in 2007 to see a whole new look to Harbour Lights.

Re: Major Announcement From Harbour Lights #14643 12/10/05 05:00 PM
R
ropetrick Offline
R
With the lead times for new products six months to a year is needed to see any differences. But operations and distribution plans can change much more quickly. Sadly, I think Dennis is probably reading the signs correctly.

Dan

Re: Major Announcement From Harbour Lights #14644 12/10/05 06:01 PM
fra02441 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Congratulations to Don. It looks like he will be listening to all the comments made here. Quality is what everyone wants and he might be able to improve on the things that are not liked (bells and wistles). To make a profit it is always wise to make a product people flip over for. Good luck smile

Re: Major Announcement From Harbour Lights #14645 12/10/05 08:43 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I do hope Don reads this thread. It will give him an idea about our hopes and fears about the future of HL's. It is of the utmost importance that we collectors express our concerns so Don will know where we are coming from.

Don may already have a battle plan and hopefully it will be to keep Harbour Lights moving forward in the future. I'm sure there will be adjustments made and they may be for the better. Once again, time will tell.

smile Bob smile

Re: Major Announcement From Harbour Lights #14646 12/10/05 10:23 PM
Bill and Judy Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Hi everybody. I have gone back to work temporarily so I haven't been posting these days but when I heard the news I had to check in. We do wish Don luck as well as the Younger family. The biggest thing besides the quality of lighthouses that has kept us collectors is the personal "family" treatment that comes from being a HL collector. Bill and Nancy have been the heart and soul of the company and as long as they are involved I feel confident things will be fine. Yes, let's give Don a chance and I truly hope the dealers stay a part of the collecting business. We just bought our 4th curio!! The fever is still there!

Thanks, Bill and Nancy, for the memories. We look forward to seeing you in the future and staying in touch with good friends.

Judy and Bill

Re: Major Announcement From Harbour Lights #14647 12/11/05 01:17 AM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
I'm a little concerned that too many people are second guessing Don before he even has the office keys in hand. He is an outstanding businessman who has built Lighthouse Depot into a successful mega store of lighthouse items. On top of being a good businessman, he is a lighthouse lover and HL collector.

As much as he moves thru the store and catalog, I don't think he can move 3-4,000 copies of a HL model. I would venture a guess that he also knows this, that he needs the dealer network in place. I don't think you will see Don working to dismember the dealer network anytime soon - in fact, the built in dealer network he inherits opens the doors to his selling additional lighthouse related items to those stores.

If the Younger family did not feel that Don would take good care of the HL name and line, I don't think the sale would have been made. Personally, I'm looking forward to continued high quality lighthouse models and probably some new ideas thrown into the mix.

Re: Major Announcement From Harbour Lights #14648 12/11/05 02:29 AM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Dave,

I'm not surprised that people have been voicing their opinions- it's what we do so well here.

I've been reading some more controversial takes on this development on another lighthouse site.

I stand by my comments- none were meant as second guessing or meant to be negative. the concepts I commented on have been discussed here on this Forum in the past- long before we had any inkling that this was to occurr.

I certainly wish all involved in these developments the best. I hope it energizes HL and keeps the collectors happy and the company solvent.

I definitely believe that the Youngers thought long and hard before they made this decision- they have usually made good decisions in the past and I expect this to be one of them.

I wish them well in their new position in life- semi-retired and enjoying it.

Dennis

Re: Major Announcement From Harbour Lights #14649 12/11/05 10:11 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
I enjoyed everyone’s comments and they are expressing many concerns like what I am having. I don’t think we should suppress our feelings but address them. I too hate change and automatically because of change and all the uncertainties, I am always against it. But no matter what I want, it happens. At first I wanted to express my dissatisfaction about Don taking over HL. Then with plenty of thought I came up with the opposite feeling.

My boss also retired a few years ago but he hired a super duper manager that took over.
My first question was why didn’t Bill go that route. My understanding was that Bill’s original plan was to build a business to pass onto his children. Why did Bill sell the farm? Why didn’t he just hire a super duper manager and sit back and retire like my boss did?

Well this is what I came up with. The younger family still has a lot hurdles ahead of them. The majority of their followers are old school collectors that value art in collectables more than they value the latest bell and whistle. They are a dying breed that in the past has ruled the Harbour light collecting field. But because of changing times, the economy, and simple lack of room they are losing their foothold. And it sad to say but this powerful collecting giant is dying out. This has affected the sales of Harbour Lights greatly. HL saw this coming but probably too late. They tried putting their attention into other ideas and other ways to keep making money but in my opinion have not come up with an acceptable solution. Harbour lights needs to come up with something to gather new younger collectors but not to lose the ones they have. This requires more investment of time and money and there is no way Bill and Nancy could retire with this on going demand. Every year Harbour lights have been losing more and more dealers and there is no way that Bill and Nancy could retire until this was solved.

So with all that in mind I feel that selling the company to Don was probably the best thing to do to keep Harbour Lights alive. And I will believe this till Don proves me wrong. Don needs to pour some money into HL so that he can see a return. Maybe some advertisements in catalogs could help bring a turn around. I think we all need to think positive about this and hope for the best. The change is going to happen anyway with our support or not.

DANIEL
Re: Major Announcement From Harbour Lights #14650 12/12/05 12:01 PM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
My understanding was that Bill’s original plan was to build a business to pass onto his children. Why did Bill sell the farm? Why didn’t he just hire a super duper manager and sit back and retire like my boss did?
I think he tried to Daniel, but quite frankly I just don't think Kim was that interested. All a person can hope for as a parent is that there children follow similar intrests to theirs. My 5 year old loves going to hockey games with me, and loves her L.L.O.M. collection. However I'm wise enough to know that someday htere's a good chance she'll never want to go to another game and her collection will be a forgotten dust collector on a high shelf. I never got the idea that Kim had the same love for lighthouses or for the Harbour Lights business as her dad did.

It happens.

I think Harbour Lights going into the hands of "lighthouse people" is the best thing we could hope for at this point. My biggest wish is that they get Harry out on the road a little more as a good eventual replacement for Bill. He's actually very entertaining, as anyone that was at this lst Reunion can attest to.

Mike

Re: Major Announcement From Harbour Lights #14651 12/12/05 04:57 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Congratulations Don! My first look at an extensive collection was yours in your store many years ago. Your transition plan sounds good, and the inclusion of the Youngers at events will certaining ease the changeover(as well as Harry and Kathy).
Inviting our input is certainly a great way to welcome the Collectors aboard.
Good Luck,
Bob

Congratulations to Bill & Nancy in their retirement. Thanks for reaching out to us in spreading the news. We look foward to continue seeing you at future events!

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Major Announcement From Harbour Lights #14652 12/12/05 06:16 PM
beachcomber Offline
Some really good thoughts, Daniel. And I totally agree with Mike about Harry. In one of these threads, I voiced similar comments. Harry is not only a really sharp and astute business person, but he is very personable. A couple of times, I had the opportunity to chat with him at the reunion and he certainly is a people person. I was glad that he finally got some of the limelight.

beachcomber
Re: Major Announcement From Harbour Lights #14653 12/12/05 06:25 PM
Rrronne Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Congratulations Don. I wish you all the best and will be watching how things develop. The coming days, weeks, months and years have the potential for both good and bad things to happen to Harbour Lights. Only Don and his inner circle know his plans, hopes and dreams for Harbour Lights. I choose not to speculate about the future since it is not within my control. Instead I will give him time to put his plans into action. Personally, I hope we will be seeing a collector's reunion in Maine in the future.

Randall Ronne
President - Colorado Lighthouse Collectors Society
New Dungeness Light Station Association
Re: Major Announcement From Harbour Lights #14654 12/12/05 10:38 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I had a chance this afternoon to talk at length with Harry Hine. He's very up-beat and looking forward to the challenges ahead.

The product line for 2006 is almost all completed as far as design is concern. Harry's looking for input on 2007 issues. (I tried to weasel out of him the late 2006 products, but no luck. smile )

He's going to be fully responsible for the product and quality control - making many trips to China and to Maine during each year. Harry says Nancy will probably be involved in helping to choose which lighthouses will be produced -- it's been a favorite duty of hers.

The 2006-2007 Collector's Society pieces are all wrapped up ready for production. Of course I couldn't weasel those out of Harry, either, but he says we'll like them and that they are a 'little different.'

Harry recalled the fun he had at the Mackinac Island reunion and I brought up the WACKO gathering in Hampton Roads. I told him we'd love to have him join us. Sounds like that's a good possibility. Harry was in England last week for a few days and caught up with Rick and Christiane. Harry said they now have a much better understanding of the kinds of people who collect Harbour Lights and the devotion and interest they have in their collections. It's not easy to convey that to others, Harry said.

Harry's got the word out in the El Cajon-San Diego area that he's looking to sublet some studio space with windows and fresh air - something his Harbour Lights digs didn't have.

He says the photos of the paint sample of our Erie Land Light will be arriving before Christmas and will go into production just as soon as we give the OK from those photos.

BTW, he said he'd just finished reading this thread.

Re: Major Announcement From Harbour Lights #14655 12/13/05 01:43 AM
2beacons Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
First of all congratulations to Don! I can't remember your face from the last reunion but I know you were there.

Now everyone else must take a pill....Don bought a business....He wants to make a profit. Will there be changes...I am sure there will be down the line. He is trying to keep everything status quo for now. Most people who buy a business do this. The collectors need to wait and see what happens. This is America, no one holds a gun to our heads and makes us buy Harbour Lights. We do so because we want to.

This line of collectibles brought a lot of people together who never would have otherwise. We can say that for ourselves we have met and made friends with a great group of people from all over the country. We got into lighthouse preservation because of Harbour Lights.

Bill and Nancy deserve to have a wonderful retirement. They have worked really hard over the years. Now it is time for them to enjoy the fruits of their labor.

Now sit back and be thankful Harbor Lights still exists....they could have just as easily said we are going out of business.

Mary

Re: Major Announcement From Harbour Lights #14656 12/13/05 12:33 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I just finished reading some of the above posts and there is lots of good info being exchanged.

The CF is made up of a great core group of Harbour Light collectors. I don't know exactly how many one-of-everything autoships we still have left in the group but there are many. Then we have the ever faithful collectors who spend their share on HL's.

This basic bulletin board affords Don an opportunity to communicate with current and potential customers to sample their feelings about the products his company will produce. We must never lose sight of the fact that Don's company needs to make a profit to stay in the HL business.

Will retail pricing go up? It could.

Will the number of new releases increase or decrease? Time will tell as adjustments are made in the transition from the Youngers to Don.

If Don strays from "business as usual" will it have an adverse effect on consumer sales? Maybe yes, maybe no. It all depends how the "smile factor" goes. Keep us smiling, and we'll keep on buying!

I notice there isn't a heck of alot being mentioned about Kim's part in this transition from the Youngers to Don. This is somewhat of a conspicuous absence to say the least. If Kim is leaving, I will miss her. I missed Maureen when she left and had hoped she would return, but she never did. Is this the path Kim will travel?

:rolleyes: Bob :rolleyes:

Re: Major Announcement From Harbour Lights #14657 12/13/05 02:23 PM
C
ctlights Offline
C
One of the biggest issues which the new owners need to address are "limited edition" and "Society exclusive" releases. Collectors purchase these not only because they appreciate the artistic beauty of the sculpture, but with faith that they will at least hold their value. While the business practices of Harbour Lights over the years were at the very highest imaginable, actions of the past several years of re-releasing LE's in very slightly different form or producing a "Society exclusive" piece as a GLOW did nothing less than seriously devalue the collections of every collector.

Other than that, thanks Harbour Lights for your committment to quality and customer service and I look forward to a future under Lighthouse Depot.

Re: Major Announcement From Harbour Lights #14658 12/13/05 03:45 PM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
Quote:
Collectors purchase these not only because they appreciate the artistic beauty of the sculpture, but with faith that they will at least hold their value.
WITCH WITCH - Burn the WITCH!!!

Seriously ctlights it is refreshing to hear this acknowledgement about the reality of collecting. At least hold their value - whatta concept!

Its gotta be one of the golden rules of survival if you're wanting to get into the Collectibles BUISNESS long term. Don't be messing with a collections equity. HL didn't make its name and gain its appeal and its hard core constituency with knock-off replica GLOWs and thirty-seven different Cape Hatteri. (But alas they lost a few cuz of those.) Limited Editions - thats the ticket. Don't blow off those what brung ya. Say it with me ... truly truly ... Limted Editions. (Hear that LHD? We'll see if you're in it long term or quick buck - hope the former.)

And God Bless Bill Younger - he had one heckuva run and lighthouses and the world are better for it!

Rgds,
Saint Fuzzy Bunny

Re: Major Announcement From Harbour Lights #14659 12/13/05 03:55 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Saint Fuzzy bunny,

While I definitely agree with you the GLOW may be off of the Lighthouse collecting business.
It may be difficult to put the genie of reality back into the bottle. It is the objective of collectibles to at least maintain their value- and also to increase if at all possible.

I'm not sure if the actions taken to rerelease Lighthouses in diferent versions is the chicken or the egg in this situation. The value of LE's in general was on a downslide prior to most reissues in different versionsof already retired LE's. It didn't help the situation from a collectors point of view- except possibly to consider this- without those moves there might not be a HL company to sell to someone else.

I hope for the best with the new ownership of HL and for things to continue to make the Collectors and the sellers happy and prosperous.

I'm sorry to see that Kim will seem to have little to do with the new ownership- at least it hasn't been addressed one way or the other. I'm sure if this is the case it was her own decision to have this be. I wish her luck in whatever she chooses for her next move.

Dennis

Re: Major Announcement From Harbour Lights #14660 12/13/05 04:20 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
The family will be keeping control of Skybound Balloons and JP Brown and Kim will be looking after her parents' interests and travel.

She'll also be attending Harbour Lights' regional events with Bill and Nancy.

In fact, the schedule of in-store and regional events (perhaps 2 anyway) is almost completed. Normally this schedule is set up in January and into parts of February.

Let's remember that Kim was there from the beginning of Harbour Lights and her behind-the-scenes, day-to-day involvement and management helped to make it the company we grew to know and love for more than 15 years. I'm sure she appreciates your good wishes.

Re: Major Announcement From Harbour Lights #14661 12/13/05 04:40 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Dave H), 1,191 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users