Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
do values increase with much lower numbers? #146381 02/13/03 05:59 PM
P
plebetkin Offline OP
OP Offline
P
how much of a difference does a three digit numbered piece have over time? What I'm asking is is there a tremendous increase in value to have a piece numbered 125 over having the same item with number 180? Does the value increase dramatically from the 0-100 over the 101-200 over the 201-300 etc? Or do values tend to hold at a same price over a wide range of numbers (all numbers 0-400 have one value worth more than 500-999 say)? Or do values tend to hold steady for all two digit pieces which are worth more than all three digit pieces which are worth more than all four digit pieces? I hope that I made my questions clear!

good friends mean good times
Re: do values increase with much lower numbers? #146382 02/13/03 09:21 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
In my humble opinion I would say lower serial numbers increase the value of a piece very little. No where in the secondary market guides does it say add xx% increase for a 3 digit number and xxx% for a double digit number. I think that numbers are in the eye of the beholder and the value that is put on double or triple digit numbers over a 4 digit number is only what the seller/buyer feels it is. I get a triple digit number through autoship and having all the same serial numbers is great but wouldn't add a thing to a piece that I'm trying to sell unless the buyer had a number thing for a triple digit piece. If I offered you a double digit Cape Hatteras for $600, a triple digit for $500 and a 4 digit for $400, which piece would you buy with all thing being equal? I'd buy the 4 digit piece and have $200 to spend on something else. This is my opinion only and certainly does not reflect the opinions of other knowledgeable collectors on this Forum.

Rich cool

Rich
Re: do values increase with much lower numbers? #146383 02/13/03 09:39 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Most of my HL collection are two or three-digit pieces. Like most collectors, I started buying from many different dealers and was happy to get whatever number was available. Then I started buying three digit pieces via autoship. A couple of years later I was lucky enough to find a two-digit autoship available (thanks to Paul B.) and now I even swapped that for a lower two digit autoship (thanks to John C.).

In my opinion, lower numbers are worth a few bucks more. I'm into numbers and also think numbers such as 2222, 3333, 4444, etc. would be worth a couple of bucks more. That's just me and it doesn't apply to everyone.

Once again, a piece is only worth what someone is willing to give you for it. The numbers game is just an added attraction.

smile Bob smile

Re: do values increase with much lower numbers? #146384 02/13/03 11:14 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
The main main reason lower numbers used to be sought after was, that if there was an error in a release you would more in likely find it in either an Artist Proof or the start of the run... Now that they produce 3,000 the first run, it doesn't make an error that rare if one should happen..

If you want a really nice lighthouse, "as in quality", some of the first lighthouses (5500 series) produced by HL you will find them in the #4000 plus range...

Example: The North Head that I bought to get Sue an entry for the Gold Lighthouse she won is numbered #4255 and is a very nice paint job.. much nicer than the AP I already had of the same lighthouse..

Having stated the above realize of course that the challenge to me after I got them all was..... first to get all of them that were produced with a lightning rod, then to get a low two digit number..

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: do values increase with much lower numbers? #146385 02/13/03 11:55 PM
JJ Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Gee Rich, since in the example you used, a 2 digit Cape Hatteras would be a CH1, I would be very happy to take it for the $600.00. Please ship it as soon as possible and, in that case, I think the extra $200.00 would be well spent smile

Re: do values increase with much lower numbers? #146386 02/14/03 01:51 AM
DANIEL Online
Saint
Saint
Yes a low number is worth more. The big question is how much more?
The answer is that it depends on the Lighthouse.
In general, lower the number on a lighthouse the more it seems to be worth. Two years ago a number 11 Bodie Island went for $270

I will rate the value as (1) being the highest in value and (8) as the lowest. This is considering that they all have their original boxes.

Lets start with the first 17
1.A two-digit number would probably be a rare California made, demanding the highest price for that particular lighthouse.
2.A three digit under 250 would most likely be a California or California Mold. Still a high price but not as much a double digit.
3.200 to 300 (Depends on model) Probably a California mold. Not as valuable as the California.
4. 300 to 500 should be a Canadian made. A lower number Canadian has a good chance of having a paint verity than a higher numbered one. There are collectors out there that only collect the under 500. They are the ones that usually drive up the prices on Ebay.
5. 500 to 999 would be a more common Canadian made. This is the more common Canadian that you see on ebay.
6. 1000 and up Canadian- also part of the more Common Canadian Group.
7. Malaysian with rod. This group is usually smaller than the Canadian made group. But in general is still go's for less.
8. Malaysian most common. Usually the least expansive of all. But sometimes a real clean one can go for a good price.

The next group would be the number HL118 to HL131
This is all I am doing now. If you want to hear about my opinion on this group and the rest let me know and I will keep on going.

DANIEL
Re: do values increase with much lower numbers? #146387 02/14/03 02:39 AM
P
plebetkin Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Daniel,

I'd like you to keep going. What you say has history for me to learn

Re: do values increase with much lower numbers? #146388 02/14/03 11:44 AM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
People, People, People! I was not even considering the original 17, but, was talking about the general run of the mill Malaysian made. I used Cape Hatteras as an example, should have used Presque Isle PA instead. The lower number(double and triple digit) in the original 17 and even some after that would definately, without a doubt in my fading military mind, be woth more. Numbers again are in the mind of the buyer and seller and they make up the value of the piece depending on how bad they want to sell or buy.

I would like to see your ideas on how pieces are affected by numbers also. Please continue on Daniel.

Rich cool

Rich
Re: do values increase with much lower numbers? #146389 02/14/03 08:31 PM
TDSimpson Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I also prefer to get a two or three digit piece for my HL collection and might pay a little more for a two digit piece depending on what piece it was. Knowing that the last numbered piece in a retired model is already taken, I would probably maybe be willing to pay slightly more for the next to last piece also.

Re: do values increase with much lower numbers? #146390 02/14/03 09:24 PM
P
plebetkin Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I'm naive so I'll ask. Why is the last piece in a series already taken, and is the first piece also taken?

Re: do values increase with much lower numbers? #146391 02/14/03 09:39 PM
Randy Kremer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong ...

The first 10 are kept by Harbour Lights.

Nancy gets the last one.

Bill gets the number that the lighthouse was built. Example: If light was built in 1881, Bill gets #1881.

Re: do values increase with much lower numbers? #146392 02/14/03 10:42 PM
Dick Johnson Offline
I agree with the approach that a two or three digit pieces worth depends on who is buying. I also agree with Daniels assessment of the earlier models, and their worth. But these are pieces where there are variances and changes that directly correlate to the number, so I don't think that was the intent of the question.

Would I pay more for a 2 or 3 digit number, all else being equal (same production facility, same color scheme, no noticeable variances throughout the run, no damage, ect.)? Probably not. Actually for this scenario the higher numbers should be better quality, since the painters would in theroy be better at their task, thus a better piece. I currently collect 3 digit numbers because that is what my dealer gets for autoship, and it is nice to have all pieces for a given year with the same number.

However, in older pieces (the first three, years, or so) I seek out the older pieces with lower numbers because they are Canadians, or have variations. Thus the value, and uniqueness (rods, mold variations, mistakes, etc.) of the piece is special, and the justification for the price, or value. Today if I had the opportunity to get a double digit at cost, or a high number at a discount, I would take the discount since there is no noticeable difference in quality.

Lastly I would like Daniel to go on about the early pieces. I thought I had a lot of knowledge about the early pieces, but either he does a lot of research before he writes, or he is truely deserving of Wacko status and a walking encyclopedia of HL facts. Either way it is good information.

Re: do values increase with much lower numbers? #146393 03/04/03 05:53 PM
Len Ariagno Offline
This is for Daniel. I would appreciate your continued thoughts on the 2 and 3 digit flag njmbers for the HL118 to HL 131 series. I am seeking a low number HL 128 SE Block and would welcome your thoughts. Many thanks!
Len Ariagno

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (DANIEL, Rock, Dave H), 1,665 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users