Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Questions about Ebay #146165 03/22/00 07:58 PM
G
greeneyes Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I have only recently begun collecting and am interested in opinions about the reliability and security issues when bidding on Ebay. Read Art's post and all the replies -- but I can't help but wonder: are any of you who are tracking pieces on Ebay actually buying from Ebay? Why, or why not? Please help -- I just don't want to make a big mistake.

Thanks!

------------------

Re: Questions about Ebay #146166 03/22/00 09:07 PM
Art Offline
Good and bad experiences will depend far more upon the individual seller than they do upon eBay itself. I have purchased 20 or so pieces over about two years' time off of eBay, and almost every auction goes well. My few problems were very minor and worked themselves out quickly to my satisfaction.

Make sure you check out the feedback rating of the seller before you bid. Ask all questions about condition, edition number, variations, signed/unsigned before you bid. Also, make sure you are educated about the value of a piece so that you don't get taken for a ride.

Know in your own mind what a piece is worth to you and do not get caught up in the bidding and exceed that price. Usually, there will be another piece of the same model that comes along within a month or two, so you'll get another chance. Don't chase the price up. Be patient.

------------------
-Art

-Art
Re: Questions about Ebay #146167 03/22/00 10:10 PM
Jim Chesher Offline
I have purchased 12 pieces in the last nine months from E-Bay. Every transaction went well, yet all of the points made by Art are indeed valid.

Re: Questions about Ebay #146168 03/23/00 01:07 AM
DeDo Offline
I have collected for 18 months. Bid and won my first auctions on e-bay last summer. The whole concept(sending M/Os to strangers and hoping they shipped what you expected) made me nervous for months prior. But once you do it and all turns out well, then you are on your way to another source for HLs.

Several suggestions, when you check the sellers feedback, also check their other auctions. If you see other collectibles you can be fairly sure that they are dealers and doing auctions as a part of business, ie reliable.

Check several sources for the going prices of the HLs you are interested in bidding on. Check completed e-bay auctions for those pieces. Check the price lists of the secondary market HL dealers that post lists online. Do a search on the forums marketplace to see what people were asking for a particular HL. In other words have a ball-park price range before you start bidding.

By the way I have purchased at least fifteen HLs thru E-bay. All well except one that arrived damaged, was returned and I received refund including my return shipping costs.

I see it as one more source for my HLs, my local dealers and the marketplace forum are the others. Secondary dealers if the prices are right. Good luck and have fun finding your HLs!

Donna

Re: Questions about Ebay #146169 03/23/00 01:54 AM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I have to agree with what has already been said. you have to be careful with any transaction that you can't se or touch. You have to do your homework, and not let yourself get into the mode that gets you to bid higher than you wanted, just because someone else is bidding against you. You have to decide what an item is worth to you and stop at that figure. Auctions on ebay are like streecars- another one will be along shortly. I have purchased too many items from both ebay and the Marketplace. I have had only one problem and the seller and I came to an agreeable settlement of the problem. The term Caveat Emptor was talked about on another post earlier. Remember Buyer Beware, but if your careful you can win what you want. Dennis

Re: Questions about Ebay #146170 03/23/00 01:57 AM
Y
youngone Offline
Y
Greeneyes,
That's a major concern. I however, have purchased the majority of my lights through either Ebay or the Marketplace. I have had only one slight problem and that was with alight that was just a little slow getting mailed out. I read the comment feedback and found that this person seemed to have a problem with getting any purchase out that was over one hundred dollars. I don't know whether they were not wanting to part with such a sought after HL or just a coincidence. I am planning, (I've been planning since December )to thank all the people that have helped me increase my collection to the great size that it is. I don't think you'll have a problem but things do happen. That's why you have that pit in your stomach until the light shows up at your door. The other side benefit to this is you get to be great friends with the UPS and Mail Carrier.
Have Fun!

Re: Questions about Ebay #146171 03/23/00 09:29 AM
RezmanDale Offline
So far all of my experiences have been good. Take Arts advice and do some checking before you bid. The market place on the forums is a great source and should always be consulted first. There are some sood deals out there in both places if you take the time to watch for them.

Dale|:-{

Re: Questions about Ebay #146172 03/23/00 01:06 PM
J
Joanne Offline
J
I have probably won 70 or so auctions over the past year and have had only one bad experience. Every other transaction has been pleasant and rewarding. Just know what you're bidding on, (retail price vs. ebay price), read the feedback and set a bid limit for yourself. As was stated before, if you don't win that auction, another will be along in no time.

Joanne

Re: Questions about Ebay #146173 03/23/00 01:25 PM
V
vsnlex Offline
V
I couldn't agree more with the above posts.
I find the reading of the HL ebay site very interesting too. I have learned a lot about the various sculptures and have been able to keep a finger on the pulse of prices. I have been able to get older society and event pieces that way too.
to date........no bad ebay experiences.

Terry
Re: Questions about Ebay #146174 03/23/00 07:07 PM
Rrronne Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
We have acquired a few lights via Ebay and have not experienced any problems. Everyone else has covered the main things well.
Something we do is keep track of who we purchased the lights from. We know who we have done business with before and that helps
with the comfort/confidence level. Since the 6 lights we still need are all in the $400 and up range, we hope to acquire them from someone we have already done business with.

------------------
Randall & Linda Ronne

Randall Ronne
President - Colorado Lighthouse Collectors Society
New Dungeness Light Station Association
Re: Questions about Ebay #146175 03/23/00 10:51 PM
D
don farrell Offline
D
I don't really see the big argument about Ebay. Yes, I am a dealer, I do sell on my website. I do also sell on Ebay. The only reason I sell on Ebay is for the exposoure. Most of the time my prices are less on the website, but the piece brings more on Ebay.
I have to continue to do both as for some reason some people just like to bid. I guess this is what makes us happy.
thanks,
Don www.donslighthouses.com

------------------

Re: Questions about Ebay #146176 03/24/00 03:20 AM
J
JULB Offline
J
The pieces that I have gotten on E-bay have been in Dutch Auctions. I have found that I have a better chance of predicting and getting a good winning price that way.

This approach developed from getting into one or two bidding wars which became infuriating to the point that I deliberately and carefully DROVE the price up just to get "even" with my competitor. I now stay away from regular bidding and just do the Dutch auctions (which are usually dealers). FYI, after that little episode that I described above, I kept track of the bidders which had graciously bowed out early and as a "gesture" of acknowledgement for their civil behavior, I did not bid against them in future auctions and waited until they got their piece, before I pursued that item again. It was the least that I could do to make it up to them.

I bring this up because as stated above, you need to know your Max price and STOP. After that point, E-bay stops being a bargain hunt and becomes a behavioral jungle.

[This message has been edited by JULB (edited 03-24-2000).]

JB
Re: Questions about Ebay #146177 03/24/00 08:59 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I give eBay "two thumbs up". I've been dealing there for a couple of years both as a buyer and a seller. All the advice given in this thread is good advice.

My only fear is damage during shipping. Sometimes I wonder if you write "fragile" on the box if it marks it as a package they want to use for strength testing. I've received numerous crushed corners on boxes but the merchandise inside made it okay.

Bob

Re: Questions about Ebay #146178 03/24/00 04:34 PM
LamarB Offline
I too have followed Art's suggestions with excellent results. On one occasion where a seller had no feedback yet, I used eBay's escrow service.

Re: Questions about Ebay #146179 03/24/00 05:57 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I have made numerous transactions with eBay sellers and bidders over the last few years and have only had one minor problem. I partially blame myself as I did not ask how the piece was to be shipped.

When the Harbour Light arrived on my doorstep, it was in the blue Harbour Light box, that was it! No overpacking period! The shipping label was taped to the box lid. I now ask how the package will be shipped.

Remember, don't be afraid to ask questions of the seller. If they are honest and want to make the sale, they will talk to you and answer your questions.

-Todd

Re: Questions about Ebay #146180 03/26/00 03:51 AM
Y
youngone Offline
Y
Greeneyes,
One more thing before I move on to another post. You'll see a few strings before this one from Don Farrell. I have purchased from him in the past and he is TOP NOTCH A great person to do business with.

Don, your problem is that your a very honest trusting person in an enviroment that can sometimes not be that honest. I understand why you sell on Ebay, but remember you get to see both sides of the coin, seller and buyer, and we're just a bunch of buyers.

[This message has been edited by youngone (edited 03-26-2000).]

Re: Questions about Ebay #146181 04/04/00 09:21 PM
Rusty Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Can't add much to what has been said, but have probably bought about 10 lighthouses on ebay, and sold about 5.. Everything went great. No problems. But I did make sure that when I was buying that I checked the feedback of the person I was buying from..

Rusty

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,040 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users