Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Lighthouse map review #14608 09/09/99 01:41 PM
B
Bob Steinbrunn Offline OP
OP Offline
B
In the same vein as book reviews I'd like to bring the following lighthouse map to the attention of forum members:

"Lighthouses of the United States - Illustrated Map and Directory of all Standing Lighthouses in the U.S."

Harvett House Map Publishers
P.O. Box 41
Freeport, ME, 04032
(207) 865-4037

Edited by Peter Dow Bachelder

$7.95 U.S. (My Harbour Lights dealer stocks this and gave me my copy free as a "thank you" for all the business ($$$$) I've given him)

The map comes in a heavy stock folder and is folded in the dimensions of 5 3/4" x 10 3/4".
Unfolded the map measures 39" wide x 27" tall.

On the front is a 1:6,000,000 scale topographic map of the U.S. with all standing lighthouse locations marked by a black dot and the LH name. Around the periphery of the map are 47 thumbnail watercolor paintings of famous lighthouses measuring, on the average, 3" x 2".

Also on the front are six detail maps where lighthouse congestion makes a more detailed map desirable: Alaska, Hawaii, Great Lakes, New York and Connecticut, Rhode Island and Massachusetts, and Maine.

On the reverse side are hundred of listings of lighthouses alphabetically by state and light and four black and white sketches of lighthouses.

Additionally, there are biographies of the 9 artists represented on the front, including their addresses, phone numbers, e-mail address, and Web site if they have one. This provides you with the means of contact if you like their work and would like to acquire more.

The editor is also included in this list.

Pros: good alpha listing makes it quick and easy to locate a lighthouse, and the splendid watercolor paintings are a bonus. The map gives you a great geographical sense of where all the lighthouses are located.

Cons: average paper which causes concern regarding repetitive folding and unfolding.

**** (4 stars out of 5: recommended)

------------------
Bob Steinbrunn
Nautical Research Guild

[This message has been edited by Bob Steinbrunn (edited 09-09-99).]

Bob Steinbrunn
Nautical Research Guild
Re: Lighthouse map review #14609 09/09/99 05:26 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Sounds like I better get this one!

Re: Lighthouse map review #14610 09/09/99 09:25 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
It's the kind of thing every WACKO should have - whether you've got 5 posts or 50 or more.

It arrived as a surprise in the box from Derith Bennett when she shipped my Sapelo-with-special-sticker a few weeks back. THANKS DERITH!!

A note on the map/listing says it is also available rolled so you could mount one and have a great poster for your 'Harbour Lights Room'.

Highly recommended -- nothing else on the market like this one.

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 792 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users