Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A liitle help #146080 12/14/05 11:07 AM
O
offshoremv Offline OP
OP Offline
O
I recently purchased a LE Brant Pt without a number. Does anyone know anything about this occurence? Could it be an AP? Did the earlier ones not say AP on them?

Any help would be a appreciated.

Re: A liitle help #146081 12/14/05 12:03 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
This piece was issued in 1995. It POSSIBLE that as of that time, APs were not numbered or marked as such. However around that time, they began to write "AP" on the flag.

It COULD be that the piece was displayed for a long time in a store case or window and the number that was written on the piece faded off. This would be supported if the overall colors on the piece were faded and not strong.

Does the piece have the typical rounded-corner square product sticker on the bottom?

Did you purchase this from a dealer directly?

More information would be needed before it could be identified for certain.

Re: A liitle help #146082 12/14/05 12:12 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Is this the piece that recently was offered on eBay? My guess would be that the flag# just faded away after being exposed to light for extended periods of time. Like JC stated, if it has a regular product sticker on the bottom, it was probably a regular issue and not an AP.

smile Bob smile

Re: A liitle help #146083 12/14/05 02:01 PM
O
offshoremv Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Yes it was the one on Ebay. once I get the piece i will find out more. thanks for the info!

Re: A liitle help #146084 12/14/05 08:28 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
I have a Cape Lookout NC Artist Proof that I bought from a store in NC that I questioned until I did some checking. The flag does not have a seial number or the qty issued etched into the flag. There is no stickers on the bottom and no box that came with it. Artist Proofs do not come with a box from what I've been told so that will be one of the big tests.

Rich
Re: A liitle help #146085 12/14/05 10:16 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Originally posted by flacoastie:
I have a Cape Lookout NC Artist Proof that I bought from a store in NC that I questioned until I did some checking. The flag does not have a seial number or the qty issued etched into the flag. There is no stickers on the bottom and no box that came with it. Artist Proofs do not come with a box from what I've been told so that will be one of the big tests.
The missing edition size isn't related to it being (or not being) an artists proof. It's one of those pieces that was changed from an open edition to a closed edition . So as an open edition, it wouldn't have had an edition size.

Missing bottom sticker and missing box would not be good indicators either (or anyone could remove stickers and throw-away boxes to RAISE the value.) smile

If you bought it from a store, they would certainly know if it was an AP - they would have HAD to have received it as a 'special' from their area rep. If not, then who knows...

Certainly with the responsibility of the factory to hand-number every item that leaves the factory, it's not out of the likelihood that a few un-numbered pieces slip out.

Since there's no box, then you can't see what the number was on the box.

It's a mystery. But NOT very elementary, Watson.

wink

Re: A liitle help #146086 12/14/05 11:05 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
John - The store got it from their Rep and he told them it was an AP. Also, no indication on the felt that it ever had a product sticker or country of manufacture sticker on it. I'm satisfied with it so if I never know anything different I'm happy.

Rich
Re: A liitle help #146087 12/14/05 11:17 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
That's just the kind of step-by-step process needed. The 'provenance' from the rep-to-the-dealer is great.

Re: A liitle help #146088 12/15/05 12:28 AM
O
offshoremv Offline OP
OP Offline
O
I'm very interested at this point to find out what it a actaully is. This one comes with a box so I'll guess I'll find out once I recieve it.

Re: A liitle help #146089 12/15/05 12:36 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
The Brant Point with out number may be an Artist Proof but then again it may not.
It is true; probably most, if not all of the Artist proofs in 95 had no AP on the flag.
The only AP’s I have around that time period is the Bolivard and new Canal. Both of them have no number and no AP on the flag. But both have AP written under them with the dealer’s price $34. When I bought them I didn’t know what was written under them and the reason that I knew that they were artist proofs was the simple reason that the other lighthouses that were being sold with them were artists proof with the AP on the flag.

I agree with John.
Even if the Brant Point was an Artist proof. If it doesn’t have any documentation proofing that then how would we know if it is? In my opinion any lighthouse without out a number is just a lighthouse without a number, unless you have the documentation stating otherwise. The documation could be like what Rich has for his. The dealer that sold it told him it was an Artist Proof. Other documentation would be if anything were written under it reveling it as an AP. An other would be if the seller had other Lighthouses that were Artist Proof.

Now just because we can’t prove that it is an AP doesn’t mean that it isn’t a neat light to own. Check and make sure the numbers are not rubbed off. If it is a complete blank I would think it would be more valuable than the standard L.E.

DANIEL

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,208 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users