Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Interesting find.... #145898 11/16/07 10:45 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I just purchase a HL 105 Old Point Loma with flag #372. It has a weathered look and also has the copper-green dome with lightning rod. It came in a white Castle Studio box with the proper sticker and flag# written on the box, the felt is green and doesn't come to the edge, it has the OPL sticker on the base, but there is no "made in" sticker on the piece. I thought I purchased a Canadian piece, but I'm beginning to think it may be a California piece. Could one of our more learned Gurus help me out here?

smile Bob smile

Re: Interesting find.... #145899 11/16/07 06:49 PM
Sonic59 Offline
I also have a HL105 New Point Loma like yours in a white Castle Studios box w/matching number. Weathered look, copper green dome w/rod. OPL sticker is on the bottom and no made in sticker.
Only thing is this has thick light grey felt on the bottom. I have been wondering for some time where this piece was made? Any help would be appreciated.

Roger

Re: Interesting find.... #145900 11/16/07 07:24 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Hi Roger, ...It looks like the plot thickens! I would be willing to guess yours is definitely a California piece. Mine may well be too. What's the flag# on yours?

Daniel? Where are you?

confused Bob confused

Re: Interesting find.... #145901 11/16/07 08:35 PM
W
Walt Offline
Wacko
Wacko
W
Hi Bob, I'm not a Guru or claim to know that much about these Harbour Light pieces but,to me it sounds like you have a piece that was made in California and finished in Canada. The reason I say this is that I have 5 HL 105 OPL's. Two California made pieces. One California made piece that was finished in Canada. One Canadian made piece and one Malaysian made piece. The flag # of the one that is made in California and finished in Canada is 179. It also has the weathered look and the windows are a bit irregular and painted a light gray. It also has the green copper dome. The box I have for it is a white Castle Studios box with matching #. The felt is green and it does not go all the way to the edge, like yours. The Canadian piece I have which is #593 also has the weathered look but the windows and door are not irregular looking. It too has the green copper dome as well. I also have the white Casle Studios box and matching #. The two California pieces that I have I purchased on eBay and they are really different from one another. The only thing similar is that they both have the gray-white felt and the doors are painted the same(Dark gray or black). The dome on one is almost all green and can barely see any copper. It has a very long lightning rod. The windows irregular. The window frames are a light gray and the panes are a dark gray or black. The other is painted light gray. One has the weathered look and the other is pure white looking like my Malaysian piece(which by the way has copper in the dome). The ventilator caps are the same size but one is a dark green or black in color. The small window on the tower of one is gray and the other has no color at all. I guess it all comes down to how the artist painted the pieces. Anyway, I would gladly send you pictures of each piece if you care to see them. Take care and have a great upcoming Thanksgiving Holiday.

Walt cheers

Re: Interesting find.... #145902 11/17/07 01:03 AM
Sonic59 Offline
The number on my Old Point Loma is 1312 which seems high for a California piece. It also has a short rod and light grey windows and doors

Re: Interesting find.... #145903 11/17/07 02:43 AM
Mark Wagner Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Bob, I have a California mold old point loma, it is also as you describe " with an intentional weathered look, possibly looking as if it were long over due for a paint job. If I can find a picture of it I'll post it.

Mark

Re: Interesting find.... #145904 11/18/07 02:52 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Bob
What Walt said is correct.
What you have is a Canadian made with Antiquing.
I doubt you have a California mold, but you can check by comparing the front door with one of your higher number Canadians or a Malaysian. If it were a California mold you would see a difference in the door panels. If the mold is not California no way will the paint job be California. The lack of a “made in Canada “ sticker is normal for the early Canadian Lighthouses.

As Walt has said there are different paint variations with the California made Old point Loma, but I think one of the standard paint schemes of California Paint would be the Green windowsills.

Sonic59
Going by your number, yours is a Canadian made with a gray felt. The felt on yours should be set back and not all the way out to the edges like the California felt.

The Canadian Made lighthouse can also have different paint variations.

DANIEL

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 871 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users