Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
How to sell my collection? #145713 06/27/10 01:12 AM
seagirt Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
I have a smallish collection of "interesting" HL pieces (a few society, the CF exclusives, Baileys Harbor Range, some limited LLOMs), but I've found lately that I'm not enjoying them as much as I could be. With my "brick and mortar lighthouses" budget in need of a bit of a boost, and my interests lying more there, I'm trying to sell them to a new home where they'll be appreciated more.

So I've listed them on the Trading Post here on the CF...not much response, and I didn't know how much to even ask for for them when I got an email. It seems like everything is stagnant on eBay unless it's a really special piece, so I can't get an idea there or anything.

Some of my pieces, though, I can't even figure out the value of in case someone puts up a wanted ad on the CF. I can't find a precedent.

So I've not paid much attention to secondary market prices over the years...as I said, it's more a little side hobby I indulge in occasionally off of my general lighthouse interest. But I know I have some stuff...CF exclusives...Bailey's Harbor Range...the #5 Thomas Point Limited LLOM...that must be worth something somewhat more than the $20 that LEs are going for today. I don't want to get ripped off (or rip anyone off)...but I also want these pieces to go to places that they'll get appreciated more.

So how do I figure out how much they're reasonably and fairly worth, and figure out how to sell them?

And no, just because I'm selling some of my HLs doesn't mean I'm leaving this site one bit...there's too much else going on here to go! I just don't think I'm appreciating the lights as much as someone else could, and admittedly some of the pieces I have I have little sentimental connection to. They're just sitting on a shelf, which I don't even see 75% of the year when I'm at school, collecting dust. Shouldn't someone else get pleasure out of them?

I am thinking of donating my Sea Girt LE piece to the museum at the Sea Girt Lighthouse...there isn't one on display there to my memory, and I'm there a lot anyway, so could still enjoy it when I visit, knowing it's in a really cool location that's special to me. I'm going down there tomorrow, and may bring it with me.

Re: How to sell my collection? #145714 06/27/10 06:53 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Well how nice Greg!

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: How to sell my collection? #145715 06/28/10 01:13 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Greg
First of all I think right now is the worst time to sell.
With many on vacation or just spending the summer away from the computer and involved in summertime projects or activities. Second there are the final sales of the founder’s collection. This will also take away some potential buyers. The best time to sell would be to start in October and keep posting each month with your list until around March or April.

Your next issue is what to ask. Do research and follow ebay on the items you want to sell. Here is my general rule for selling. These are not giveaway prices but obtainable prices.

Unpopular L.E. lighthouse and GLOWs $15 to $25
Fancy and popular GLOWS $35
Common L.E. lighthouses $35
Double digits L.E. $45 to $55 (charge more for early models and recent ones)
Popular Lighthouses and Christmas pieces $40 to $49
Most society pieces 1996 to 2006 $15 to $25
Harbour Lights 2006 to 2010 $45 to retail.
Bailey Harbour $100 to $120
ELL$100
Southern Bells retail to $100
Limited LLOM I would not sell for less than $35 and try $50

If you want to sell these quicker just cut the price in half. Of course I am talking about MIB (Mint in Box) and I am talking about patently selling over a period of time to get your best price.

DANIEL

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,025 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users