Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
eBay Observation #145608 11/18/01 10:14 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
How many of you keep an eye on Harbour Lights on eBay? I check it several times a day to see what's going on.

I noticed that many pieces are on there for seven days and don't even receive one bid. I see a pattern of "dealer dumping" quite often. I see quality pieces priced too high right from the starting bid.

When I checked eBay this morning there were 277 items listed under "harbour lights". Of the 277, only 77 had a bid on them. Is the economy getting to be that tight that quality pieces cannot be sold even for bargain prices? Are people holding on to their expendable funds and avoiding collectibles?

Bob

Re: eBay Observation #145609 11/18/01 12:24 PM
TDSimpson Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I also try to check eBay once a day looking for something to catch my eye. I am surprised that the annual dumping of HL pieces for the Christmas rush hasn't started yet. Could it be that people are just getting tired of the same people pushing the same pieces time after time?

Luckily there is the occasional good deal to be had by some very trustworthy people but I would prefer to deal with people on the Marketplace on the Forums.

Tom

Re: eBay Observation #145610 11/19/01 01:47 PM
CAVR Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I too montitor and bid here and there on HL's being auctioned on eBay.

There are a few great deals to be had, especially the pivate collectors that are selling their collections for what ever reason. Some great low numbers pieces.

However, my biggest beef, besides the same peices that come and go, around and around, over and over again from the same people, ususally with no bids (usually from the same sellers), but with the description of all these pieces. I am sure that many of us would bid on a few of these pieces for our collections or for other fellow HL collectors, however without a "complete" description, the viewer just passes it by. I know I do.

I may bid on a few if a "Flag Number" would be included. I find it very annoying to keep emailing sellers about the piece number, whether it has been displayed before, or whether it comes from a smoke free environment. I guess I am too damn picky..but I think HL are excellent lighthouse replicas and wish to only have the BEST in my collection. I may bid on a piece if it had an unusual number, and/or low number, but without this information in the item's description...I just continue on to the next lighthouse being auctioned. For some hard to find peices, the flag number obviously doesn't matter (ex. Ocracoke). However, a newer piece such as an Old Point Comfort, VA or a lighthouse from the 10,000 edition sizes are easily available. Now why would I buy one on eBay when I can buy one at my local dealer. Now, if the one on eBay had included the flag number, and if it happened to be rather low or lower then the one at my local dealer, then perhaps I may bid on the one on eBay. I don't hink some of these sellers want to sell their pieces.

Perhaps posting my HL wish list in the Marketplace would produce more positive results.

That's my 2 cents.

Christopher

-Christopher
"CAVR"
Re: eBay Observation #145611 11/24/01 08:10 PM
cclighthousebuff Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I watch the auctions carefully too for "good" deals. I have picked up several pieces at "reasonable" prices, but I do not follow-up if a piece is not described well. I figure that if the seller is unable to describe the piece to a buyer's satisfaction, then doing business with them is a risk. So far, I've not been "burned" using this approach.

Re: eBay Observation #145612 11/29/01 11:24 PM
C
coler Offline
C
I watch it fairly regularly. Occassionally you come across a good deal. I've also picked up some old retired lighthouses at reasonable prices as well.

Re: eBay Observation #145613 11/30/01 12:21 AM
Larry Offline
Funny but true....

my wife and I were bidding AGAINST EACH OTHER (me at work, her at home) at the last minute on a "good deal" today. Unfortunately, there was a third last minute bidder and we both lost!

Re: eBay Observation #145614 11/30/01 12:54 AM
AZlightkeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I have watched EBAY rather closely and have scored some good deals. You do have to be careful, I always try to find the sellers who use Billpoint or Paypal, that way with a credit card you may have a recourse if the seller does not deliver.

Jim
Re: eBay Observation #145615 11/30/01 05:17 PM
F
fresnalhead Offline
F
I look at e-bay daily, and have gotten some real good deals (pennies on the dollar).

I feel that a few of the sellers placing items for auction realy may not know what they really have for they received them as a gift. These are the ones that dont list what the true collector is looking for, edition number and size, how/if displayed, if retired, a true description that peaks ones intrest.

Re: eBay Observation #145616 12/01/01 01:03 AM
CAVR Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Fresnelhead,

My point exactly....a better desciption would inform the viewer (bidder) and perhaps promote some bids on the many pieces that receive no bids or higher bidding prices for the seller.

But, hey I don't need to preach to the choir, everyone here who collects HLs already knows this.

Huh... Now where is that low 2-digit number Old Field Point, NY HL#707 so I can place a bid ?

Christopher

-Christopher
"CAVR"

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Dave H, Rock), 1,505 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users