Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
More and more rare pieces being offered... #145528 02/11/03 09:55 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I've seen more lightning rod HL's on eBay in the last few months than I've seen on eBay since it started.

I've seen more two and three digit HL's in the last six months than I've seen in years.

Are the older and probably original collectors getting out of HL collecting? Are they losing interest or just running out of storage space and display areas?

Money can be tight in many families right now but now isn't the time to be selling HL's at a loss from their true value. I don't think anyone is making a living in the secondary market during these times.

:rolleyes: Bob :rolleyes:

Re: More and more rare pieces being offered... #145529 02/11/03 08:19 PM
pierhead Offline
One possibility is that people are realizing what they have. Those first few years, there were probably a lot of people that would visit a light and buy, or buy one just because they liked it, but for some unknown reason they never got "the bug" to collect Harbour Lights. Now that they've been around for awhile, people that aren't interested in collecting HLs are quite definitely interested in selling. Someone who has a Mold I Hatteras, or a Coquille River sitting in the basement might like to have a couple thousand dollars as opposed to a miniature lighthouse ( unimaginable I know, but you get my jist ). At least that's one possibility....

Re: More and more rare pieces being offered... #145530 02/11/03 10:11 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
My opinion is to hold tight to anything that you really don't want to take a loss on because the market will be back. Right now after 9/11 and now the threat of war people are hesitant to buy thing other the the necessities. I feel that as soon as this thing in Iraq is over, N.Korea settles down and Bin Ladin is under control, things will pick up fast. That is when the buying public will feel like living again and secondary market prices will accelerate back to where they used to be. This is my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Rich cool

Rich
Re: More and more rare pieces being offered... #145531 02/11/03 10:24 PM
Larry Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by flacoastie:
... as soon as this thing in Iraq is over, N.Korea settles down and Bin Ladin is under control...
Any time table on that Rich? Inquiring minds want to know. wink laugh

Re: More and more rare pieces being offered... #145532 02/12/03 12:42 AM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
I looked into the crystal Ball and I calculate that Iraq will start by the end of Feb. and be over with by June. N. Korea will never start because all they want is MONEY and AID. Bin Ladin may take the longest but by the end of this year is my guess for him to give up the ghost(so to speak). You understand that the tea leaves are gone down the garbage disposal so I can't double check with them against the readings in the ball. I also wouldn't take this to the bank, bookie or stock market because big business is involved.

Rich wink

Rich
Re: More and more rare pieces being offered... #145533 02/12/03 01:59 AM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Rich,

I certainly hope your right in your predictions- especially about North Korea.

I'm in agreement, but I'm slightly more concernened on a personal level- I have a daughter teaching in South Korea. I take the attitude with my wife Esther that there's nothing to worry about, but I'm not sure I'm fooling her that I'm also concerned.

Here's hoping all of the above get settled without anything too dramatic occurring. We always have hope until the end.

Dennis

Re: More and more rare pieces being offered... #145534 02/12/03 09:45 AM
P
plebetkin Offline
P
what a world to live in!?

good friends mean good times

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 832 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users