cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
WSJ article #145468 09/22/00 04:20 PM
Jack Wilson Offline OP
OP Offline
In the Weekend Journal section of the Friday Wall Street Journal is an article that discusses the end of the "Art Boom" and points out several sectors to watch out for. One of those sectors is Limited-Edition Collectables. The article points out, by name "Precious Moments" and Department 56 among others, but not Harbour Lights.

The reporter points to a number of reasons why this sector will have problems. It states that many pieces can be found on eBay, making it easy to find and price collectables, and therefor depressing prices. The article also talks about collecting being a "middle-age" activity and that many of the baby boomers that fueled the growth in collecting are reaching a divide. They are realizing "that 300 Hummel figures are enough."

I think that while it is an interesting article and may be true with many other collectables, Harbour Lights may be different enough to weather any coming hard times. Mostly what strikes me is the linkage to historical structures (lighthouses) that is not seasonal. The Department 56 villages, for example, have always left me scratching my head. They must be absolutely beautiful to have out around the holidays, but what about the rest of the year? Further, Harbour Lights speaks to our nautical heritage which is another draw.

I am sure that others will have more reasons why Harbour Lights may enjoy continued success, or conversely why there is reason to be concerned. Let the discussions begin!

Jack

Jack Wilson
Re: WSJ article #145469 09/22/00 06:37 PM
J
Joanne Offline
J
I know that many people collect different things for different reasons. I have never held any appeal for Precious Moments because to me they were a collectible for a child's room or something like that. I know I am probably incorrect but that's how I see them. I know many women who, when they were girls, had them but have now outgrown the desire for them. I think that Ty Beanie Babies are an example of a craze, instead of a true collectible. I supposed it all depends on how you look at the big picture. If you collect a certain line, is it because you truly enjoy the line and what it represents or are you buying because of the potential for a profit. I know I have purchased pieces which I paid a certain price for and then a month later it was $25 less on ebay and then the following month, was $25 more than I paid.

Prices on ebay are like the tide, high and low. I think the key is marketing. I had never even heard of a Harbour Light until I bought my computer and saw them on ebay when I did a lighthouse search. I developed a fondness for lighthouses and wanted to learn more about them. I think that lately, from what I've seen on tv, there's a lighthouse in at least one or two commericals a day, and growing. The population is finding them attractive and I think mysterious, if that's the right word, and that will help keep the HL line alive for new collectors.

Joanne

Re: WSJ article #145470 09/22/00 07:33 PM
K
Keri_B Offline
K
I certainly agree that Harbour Lights will have staying power throughout any forthcoming turmoil. While the lighthouse theme has gained an awful lot of popularity lately, I think that even after the craze fades, there will still be plenty of collectors and lovers of Harbour Lights around!

Re: WSJ article #145471 09/22/00 08:04 PM
T
TERRY BARFIELD Offline
T
I think the collectibles that deal in fantasy just might have a rocky future.Whereas collectibles that are based in reality(LHs)have a history and for some,still very functional.Just try climbing up the spiral staircase of a David Winter cottage.
There are very few collectibles that aren`t "cute",but to last "cute" isn`t going to cut it.IMO

Terry Barfield

Re: WSJ article #145472 09/22/00 08:29 PM
Art Offline
I personally have believed in this end-of-collectibles-as-we-know-'em theory for quite some time. Harbour Lights are no exception, imo. I enjoy the warm & fuzzy sentiments about our favorite fetish as expressed above, but they seem just a wee bit biased to me.

The exorbitant price increases we have seen in the past were illusory and unsustainable, imo. They were based upon a dearth of information. Enter: the information age, with the internet and eBay, et al. A more perfect marketplace, an educated consumer. Those bad old days are gone forever. Let 'em go. As long as edition sizes remain suitably small, HL prices will still climb due to the limited edition factor, just not at the absurd rate that many have apparently become accustomed to. Hate to sound like a broken record, but, "collect them because you like them". There are better investments available, if that's all that you're after.

The WSJ didn't happen to mention GLOWs anywhere as the cause of this apparent end of civilization, did it? Just wondering. ;->

------------------
-Art

-Art
Re: WSJ article #145473 09/23/00 01:01 AM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I have to agree with what has already been said. I started collecting Dept.56 Snow Village about 15 years ago. After about 5 years, I lost interest mainly because they were just up at Christmas. I then started collecting David Winter cottages. They were fun for a while but they didn't keep the spark for buying them after a few years.

I ran into my first HL while in San Francisco. I still love my lighthouses because they have real meaning to me. They are real places I have visited, climbed, touched, and felt apart of. I love planning a vacation to search out a new lighthouse. I feel that is the real staying power of Harbour Lights. They bring out fond memories of times gone by, work related experiences, memories of visiting your first lighthouse as a child (or adult). Whenever I think of lighthouses, I think of the beautiful and serene settings.

I guess what I'm trying to sum up is that I still feel the same about my lighthouses today as the first day I bought them. I don't seem to tire of them. I especially love people to come into my home and ask about a lighthouse that they have visited and want to know if I have that in my collection. I tell them if it has been made by Harbour Lights then they will find it in one of the curios!

Re: WSJ article #145474 09/24/00 04:07 PM
Bill Harnsberger Offline
I think that the key to sustaining a collectible line is to keep word of mouth buzzing. How do you do that? You limit the supply. When people hear that Harbour Lights tend to retire fast---"so you better get 'em now"---they're more apt to snatch 'em up. After all, much of the allure of collectibles is the hope that their value will climb, even if our first reason for buying is because we like 'em.

Harbour Lights blundered big-time when it went to a 9,500 edition size in 1995. Fueled by a handful of "Wow™s" that sold out in rapid succession, they raised it again to 10,000. It sucked the wind right out of their sails (and sales). Now, with the gift of hindsight, they've wisely scaled back. I believe the fast retirements will kick in once again, and put 'em back on course. We've seen this already in pieces like Oak Island, American Shoal, Hillsboro, the Panama Set, and Eldred Rock.

One thing's for sure. People from all over the world will continue to flock to America's shores---Atlantic, Pacific, Gulf Coast and Great Lakes. As long as lighthouse restoration continues, more and more of our beacons will become bona fide tourist destinations. And that will fuel interest in lighthouse collectibles. By being the best in the business, Harbour Lights will continue to prosper.

The secondary market will never be like it was in the heady years of 1996-97, but I predict that prices will continually creep up with time.

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 1,340 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users